If GSP did return, reality is...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ingoditrust, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ingoditrust

ingoditrust Green Belt

He got beaten by Hendricks (in my opinion), and when he fought Nick, Nick didn't put together any kind of a fight for the first few rounds. Once he kicked in though he looked like he could of owned Georges..

For him to survive against Lawler, Wonderboy, would be shocking now. Also the reality that the current Condit, did beat Lawler in their fight.

UnTrust and Fight To Win like this.
  2. raconnor

raconnor Rebawk Belt

gsp would still decision the entire division

3. Ninja

Ninja The Bible is Truth, Find Truth... Double Yellow Card

Well since he left there have been new rules put into place so it may be hard for him to adapt, his time has come and gone ...if he wants to protect his legacy ...his best bet is to stay retired and ride off into the abyss like Jared Allen.

DLX likes this.
  4. Metallicalabran

Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

all three judges scores, for a unanimous decision

5. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

Yeah he was definitely in decline, though still incredible. Reason probably being the knee injury affecting his athleticism and let us not forget he suffered the injury again shortly after retiring. Still I would like to see him return for one more fight vs. Lawler, which I think could go either way.

6. emog1

emog1 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I dont care what will happen
    I just want him back

7. Walker Smith Jr

Walker Smith Jr Purple Belt

GSP still can be top 3 at least. I actually think if he returns in great shape he can get his belt back. His work ethic is unparalleled + Firas will be in his corner.

8. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

I know MMAth is often bunk, but given how easily Wonder Boy ran through Hendricks I wouldn't give and older slower GSP a free pass on him.

9. Jay philips

Jay philips Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

GSP could beat Conor with one arm secured to one of his legs and I mean his left arm secured to his right leg, go ahead and cross his ass up then watch him make a "reality is" statement.

10. Takamine86

Takamine86 Black Belt

I do believe Wonderboy with his improved wrestling via Weidman would give GSP big problems, but GSP beats Condit again. Styles make fights, Condit gave Lawler a fight because he didn't have to worry about being taken down. Lawler would give GSP more problems than Condit because he has pretty good TDD/scrambles.

The fighters who can give GSP problems are fighters who are well rounded fighter. They have to be able to both Strike and Grapple with GSP. That is why Hendricks arguably beat GSP, because he could fight him anywhere the fight went. Compared to the rest of GSP's resume, all his opponents were very good but were able to be exploited because they weren't well rounded. Koscheck, Shields, Fitch were grapplers who lacked technical striking. So GSP makes them stand and picks em apart. Strikers like Condit or Diaz have good striking but lack the wrestling so GSP could take them down easily.

The guys who would give GSP a fight are Hendricks, Lawler, Lombard, Woodley, and Wonderboy. Because these are the only fighters who can both strike and hold their own in the grappling. .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  11. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

Starting a sentence with a hypothetical "If" clause and then following it with "reality is..." Interesting style, mate.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    vonmises6, eclectocrat and MMAAAM like this.
  12. 613

613 Silver Belt

So once Nick "kicked in" he looked like he could have owned GSP, yet he still lost every round including the late ones? How the fuck does that make any sense? You even saying that makes it look like you just have a bias against GSP.

Reality is, GSP would likely be champ still if he was fighting today

13. Abezal

Abezal Banned Banned

LMAO sure one training camp and he can magically stop GSp from Wrastle fucking him at will, lol let me guess you ufc train 3 times a week right A for axpert.

14. nanika

nanika Brown Belt

if people were to grade the grammar, semantics, syntax, or whatever you wanna call it this place would fail. you know what hes trying to say

15. Takamine86

Takamine86 Black Belt

Number one, Wonderboy has been working on his wrestling from day one when he started competing in MMA, not one training camp, lets get that out of the way first. But yes, Wonderboy earned my respect in the Hendricks fight. Hendricks is a guy who arguably beat GSP, his wrestling was competitive with GSP. Wonderboy nullified Hendricks wrestling with ease and finished him. Something Lawler and GSP weren't able to do. So it was very impressive, Hendricks is a very durable fighter.

There are a few other reasons I think Wonderboy could stop defend GSP's takedowns, not just the improvements he made with Weidman that showed in the Hendricks fight. One reason is a big key to GSP's takedowns is his timing, range, setups from Karate. Wonderboy being a Karateka himself, he understands how to control range, he'd understand how GSP is utilizing his Karate to setup takedowns/striking. Wonderboy showed a lot of great movement, footwork, range control in the Hendrick fight. He is very hard and dangerous to trackdown. GSP is known for his double, he had the best double in the game at one point. But that takedown is very hard to secure against a fighter who is out of range.

There is also the fact that GSP has had a knee injury and hasn't been the same since. Nick Diaz was able to stuff some of GSP's takedowns when they fought. I'm positive that if Nick could, Wonderboy who was able to nullify Hendricks could defend GSP's takedowns.

Hey, they thought I was an crazy when I said Holly Holm could beat Ronda Rousey too.
    http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/t...actually-has-a-shot-at-beating-ronda.3067465/

16. Agnawedbone

Agnawedbone Red Belt

Any version of Hendricks that's fought since GSP retired would have gotten absolutely mauled by St.Pierre. I thought he should have gotten the nod at the time, but now we know it was nothing more than a fluke performance that he is incapable of repeating in the current mma landscape, for some reason..

17. Agnawedbone

Agnawedbone Red Belt

LOL at Woodley being included. GSP would shut him down worse than Rory did. He's also a bad match up for Lawler and Wonderboy IMO.

18. Takamine86

Takamine86 Black Belt

Hopefully GSP will comeback so we can find out.

19. krelianx

krelianx Silver Belt

Nick had a single moment landing some moderate jabs towards the end of the third round. Rounds 4 and 5 were all GSP. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Canned Tuna likes this.
  20. krelianx

krelianx Silver Belt

This is not quite right either. I don't think you understand what went wrong in their fight.