If Fedor signs with Bellator, could you seriously discuss him as GOAT anymore?

Hear me out fanboys.... I'm a big Fedor fan myself. But some things just cannot be ignored.

Let's be real, there are questions about the level of his competition. Some were considered great fighters, some were outright cans.

But even the former fared less than impressively once they joined the UFC. Cro Cop got stopped by journeymen, Big Nog got stopped twice in the first round by Mir and so on.

I'm not saying Fedor only fought bums, ofc he has wins over former UFC Champions. But to be considered GOAT his competition would have to be beyond doubt. Even more so since Fedor got stopped himself three times in a row once he fought in the US. Once by a MW-LHW, once by eternal gatekeeper BF.

So while he is definitely in the discussion his case is far from clear.

Also, people always speak about him as being a true warrior, no point fighter, someone who took on all comers etc. If that is his spirit he should wish to test himself against the best. He has actually claimed he wanted to fight the best in the world. Well, if you wanna be considered the best in the world you have to fight and beat the best in the world.

A true warrior should also not put money any higher than his legacy or the chance to prove that he really is who he (or his fans) claims he is. If he is the GOAT he should not wish to fight second rate competition.

I'm not saying he would go to Bellator in order to avoid better competition. But he would have proven that - despite his statements to the contrary - he doesn't care about being the greatest or his legacy or fighting the best in the world. He would have shown he just cares about the paycheck which comes even easier against lower level fighters (just like his last 3 wins).

A true GOAT must fight the best and a true warrior will wish to fight against the best in order to prove to himself that he is who he is.

Let me start by saying you are completely wrong.

1) The level of competition is not in question.
While Pride did have their odd matchups, I find it terribly asinine to try and demean Cro Cop or Nog.
Both guys are obviously way out of their prime, and (same as Fedor), should NEVER be blamed for losing now.
Let us not forget how are the guys who were atop of the UFC whole these guys were ruling Pride. (i.e. Hughes (KTFO'd by a LW/FW in BJ), Randy (KTFO'd by a LHW/MW in Machida), Chuck (KTFO'd by... well everyone), Timmy (so bad that even begging he can't get in the shallow division of UFC's HW).
So why start those stupid claims against guys like Nog or Cro Cop?

2) Running from competition? Are you crazy?
Despite what Dana or the zuffa Zombies say, when fedor signed with StrikeForce, they did have a much better HW division than the UFC. This is a fact.
So just the fact Fedor signed with SF instead the over-hyped UFC shows he is willing to fight the best

3) Money over legacy
I am sorry, but I disagree with you.
As stated above, IMHO there's no discussion on Fedor's legacy. He has proven already what he needed to prove, simple as that.
Now it is exactly the time he should think about the "rest of his life" and how he will be able to support himself.
We both do not know why he is coming back from retirement. But I do suspect Money is a big part of it.
Fedor donated most of his money to his church while he was active.
And now that he is not making as much money, I bet he is noticing he should have kept a little more for himself.
So I wouldn't fault him for taking money over anything else.

Besides, winning or losing now has no effect on his status. If you blame him for losing after his prime, then you are just a hater looking for some excuse to bring him down anyway.

Holy shit, I really hate most of the newer fans. I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they are just so ignorant and arrogant at the same time.

Maybe they are trying to emulate Dana White.

He's GOAT from his past, if he comes back and fights at 40 in 2016, I don't think it really reflects on what he was doing in 2004.

not sure why you are saying "IF". bellator is the only place he will go. With this new reebok shit. there is absolutely NO chance M1-Global and UFC, Reebok are gonna come to terms. ZERO 0

Do we have a mock-up yet with Fedor as a Reebok Ranger? Then people could see how realistic it looks.

He's a legend and more importantly a good person.

I like these anachronistic people. He's like a 19th century Slav. Need more of his kind.

For me it's better to fight and lose than retire as soon as you're out of your prime. To say that it's better to retire when you're on top implies that it's better for a fighter to sit at home than fight, that's why I can't agree with this. Career should not be stopped because one is afraid to lose and tarnish his legacy.

Brooks Kubik has a nice section in Dinosaur Training about how important it is to show up and give the next guy a(nother) chance to knock off the reigning champ.

Last edited:
You do realize that join date /=/ when you started watching mma

No point man, this is the place where your post count is directly linked to your mma knowledge. Apparently.

Fedor was the best HW in the era when Tim Sylvia and Arlvoski were the champs in the UFC.

However he was never the GOAT after that era to anyone who understands MMA.

I personally do not think he is the GOAT but how would signing with Bellator tarnish the past?

Fedor was the best HW in the era when Tim Sylvia and Arlvoski were the champs in the UFC.

Find me a poll about who the GOAT is that Fedor doesn't win.

Jesus , of course he would still be the G.O.A.T
Mma is a sport not a brand.

He was the number 1 til he lost to werdum
Anyone who felt randy or brock was the legit number 1 around that time was prob new to the sport

Look at all the fighters that came from Pride, SF, and WEC...Before they were in UFC, the average lamen said they were bums because they arent in the UFC. Now those same people are saying those exact same fighters are great due to them being in the UFC...Go figure...

Yes, UFC has the biggest roster, but 1/2 of that roster is cans...And if he did goto Bellator, you can guarantee it is due to UFCs contract...

He was the number 1 til he lost to werdum
Anyone who felt randy or brock was the legit number 1 around that time was prob new to the sport

Absolutely. It's just annoying how people think they can have it both ways (this isn't aimed at you btw.) Pre- Werdum; Number one HW on the planet, best in the world, nobody else comes close. Post- Werdum; Washed up, skills have regressed, Werdum would get slaughtered by prime Fedor.

So which is it guys? Was he the best fighter on the planet, or a washed up legend who had too many fights and needed to retire?

Absolutely. It's just annoying how people think they can have it both ways (this isn't aimed at you btw.) Pre- Werdum; Number one HW on the planet, best in the world, nobody else comes close. Post- Werdum; Washed up, skills have regressed, Werdum would get slaughtered by prime Fedor.

So which is it guys? Was he the best fighter on the planet, or a washed up legend who had too many fights and needed to retire?

Most people knew Fedor was declining before he fought Werdum. If you watched the Affliction events years earlier his trainers were even saying he was slower and not as good as he used to be and that was 2 years before the Werdum fight.

I feel like his prime ended sometime between 2007-2008. Which is about right comparing him to other greats, most fighters prime's don't last more than 5 years or so, Fedor's prime was longer than most but no one can be at their best forever, especially at HW where the finishing rate is much higher.

You can still be the number 1 guy and not be as good as you used to be, Fedor was number 1, Brock and Couture being number 1 was a joke.

People whose join dates are later than 2010 (well, I guess that includes me) are not eligible to discuss Fedor Emelianenko.

Sherdog join date doesn't mean that's when you started watching MMA. Fool.

There probably are no fights there that really add major substance to his already amazing legacy, but it does not take away from that.

Yes, he was #1 for 7 years. He fought more top 10's during that time than any other HW. How good or crappy he turns out to be in his post retirement career doesn't take away from that.

I just want Fedor to do what is best for him business wise.
The orgs are all business, and get away with anything.
When a fighter is looking out for their interests people go crazy on them.

You are going to have to judge Fedor on his past accomplishments because he was on the downside of his career after getting destroyed by Bigfoot and Hendo and getting tapped by Werdum. That was the end of his career, judge him on that.

This new chapter is not going to end well. The game has passed him by, the Fedor fans hoping for a rejuvenated fighter are delusional, the guy is almost 40 and has not fought in three years.

Putting him in the cage with Cain, JDS, Browne, Werdum will likely get someone charged for attempted murder. Hell he may not get past Mitrione but that does not diminish what he did in the past.

Was he the greatest ever, maybe when he was in his prime but not now. GSP tops him and as much as I hate to say it Jon Jones is twice the fighter.

Back