If Demian Maia wins...

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
jon fitch isn't a top 5 fighter? i'm not buying the whole, "kim was injured before the fight" bs. he was fighting maias TDs until he couldn't anymore. then the injury. Story is no slouch either.

Fitch was legit, even if at the downturn of his career.

Corey Hill was fighting right up to his freak injury leg break and it was because he was fighting he got the injury. WInning via freak injury is legit way to get a 'W', just as if Sonnen had beaten Jones via 'toe' but it is a meaningless fight with regards to two contenders squaring off and trying to determine who is better or should advance.

I think it is clear the UFC is trying to give Maia a very easy path to the belt so I would expect him to get a shot.

Look, we all know since UFC 1 that top BJJ guys on a certain type of top wrestler but soon after UFC 1, a different type of top wrestler became the top bjj worst matchup. The best matchup type is the guy who is a td and control guy. The worst matchup is the wrestler type with good defensive wrestling, good tdd or scrambles. And who can force the fight to stand and win the standup.

Sonnen, Fitch, Shields have nothing for Maia on the ground and pose almost no threat standing (he may be the better striker) and so he can rush at them with no fear.

You give him a Munoz or Weidman or Hendricks, Ellenberger, or even Kos type and suddenly he has to respect the striking and they have the defensive wrestling to make him stand.

Title shot for Maia. I don't think rematches are all that interesting at the moment, Rory won't fight GSP, and Maia has a stronger case then the rest of the contenders.

maia should get the next shot if he wins

Maia gets next with win over Shields.

Askren vs. Saffiedine, winner gets title shot.

How often do you have the chance to have the Bellator champ fight the Strikeforce champ with the winner fighting the UFC champ. There is the potential for that here. I'd like to see it come to fruition.

I think it is clear the UFC is trying to give Maia a very easy path to the belt so I would expect him to get a shot.

Look, we all know since UFC 1 that top BJJ guys on a certain type of top wrestler but soon after UFC 1, a different type of top wrestler became the top bjj worst matchup. The best matchup type is the guy who is a td and control guy. The worst matchup is the wrestler type with good defensive wrestling, good tdd or scrambles. And who can force the fight to stand and win the standup.

Sonnen, Fitch, Shields have nothing for Maia on the ground and pose almost no threat standing (he may be the better striker) and so he can rush at them with no fear.

You give him a Munoz or Weidman or Hendricks, Ellenberger, or even Kos type and suddenly he has to respect the striking and they have the defensive wrestling to make him stand.

I was under the impression the ufc didn't want Maia to get the shot. He was paired with Fitch (who was on his way down) and then actually paired with kos who is on your list of Maia's bad matchups. I agree with that BTW. And as a replacement he gets unranked
shields. And shields can make even the most exciting fighter boring.

I hope they give him a title shot. That is the most intriguing match up for GSP imo.

The only way Maia wins and doesn't get a title shot is if Hendricks beats GSP and they do an immediate rematch.

Well, I take that back. Maybe if he looks really bad against Jake but Brown somehow manages to beat Condit impressively they'd give him the shot instead.

Nah... Demian deserves a title shot (If he beat Shields)

I was under the impression the ufc didn't want Maia to get the shot. He was paired with Fitch (who was on his way down) and then actually paired with kos who is on your list of Maia's bad matchups. I agree with that BTW. And as a replacement he gets unranked
shields. And shields can make even the most exciting fighter boring.

heh. I guess it is how you look at it.

Fitch, like Shields can make make most fights look less exciting. But they are exactly the Sonnen type wrestler that top bjj guys have always fed on. If the entirety of your game is based on take down and top control and you are facing a top bjj guy you have no desire to be on the ground with and you are arguably weaker or little to no threat standing, then what?

With regards to them giving him Kos, I thought it was the right type of matchup but with the weakest guy of that style at WW. I would have matched him with rising Ellenberger or Hendricks when that Kos matchup was done. So I saw it as giving him the weakest guy he would credit for because with a Kos win (which I think he only gets if Kos is still off his game) many would say he has beat a top wrestler with good defensive wrestling and good power standing, which again is the one area he struggled at at MW and where most top bjj struggle.

Lol at not deserving maia. A freak injury happens during the the 1st round and now DHK has no chance and got owned by maia? Lmfao at anyone that thinks maia was trying to attack the ribs with a takedown or that mark was doing an arm attack while doing a takedowb on shogun they are freak injuries that should be ruled no contest.

Lol at not deserving maia. A freak injury happens during the the 1st round and now DHK has no chance and got owned by maia? Lmfao at anyone that thinks maia was trying to attack the ribs with a takedown or that mark was doing an arm attack while doing a takedowb on shogun they are freak injuries that should be ruled no contest.

Shogun broke his arm because he made a rookie mistake and tried to absorb the impact of the takedown with it.

Maia had already mounted DHK, the end was near anyway.

DHK is in no position to demand rematches nor does he deserve one. Maia beat him fair and square.

according to Dana Fitch is apparently not good enough to keep competing in the UFC so...

I thought Stun gun had that muscle spasm when he was taken down? He didn't defend at all and just crumbled in pain.

I guess Maia deserves it more than most but I'd still love to see him get tested by an actual top tier guy. I mean look at what Ellenberger had to fight through to get even close to be considered for title contention

So, two guys who fought for the UFC title aren't top tier? haha

Fitch had been #2 since you were in kindergarten and Shields was MW champ in Strikeforce and held belts in Elite XC and other orgs.

When Georges defeted Fitch he was on a 16 fight win streak and when he defeated Shields he was on a 15 fight win streak

both Shields and Fitch are black belts

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on UFC PPV? Do Fight Nights and on Fox not count?

Historically, they have had lower level fighters fight on fight night cards. Also, to headline a UFC PPV they generally like to have a fighter win multiple times on PPV to introduce them to that audience

Maia is my favorite fighter besides GSP and I think with a good win he would be most deserving of a ts. But Dana has been even more irrational with title shots lately than ever before, so we don't know. And apparently he wants to push either Rory or Robbie.

I'd love to see Maia being tested by a legit Top 10 fighter to be honest, ideally top 5, I mean he is very close to a title shot apparently and hasn't beaten anyone higher up yet, Stun Gun was a freak injury and Shields isn't exactly the guy to beat at 170

Jon Fitch was ranked top 5.

Historically, they have had lower level fighters fight on fight night cards. Also, to headline a UFC PPV they generally like to have a fighter win multiple times on PPV to introduce them to that audience

Some headliners for Fight Night have been way better (in whatever way you look at it) than other fights on PPV. Not that it matters, a win is a win, even outside the UFC. The UFC only acknowledges UFC wins in their stats because of marketing reasons, that's understandable. But on an MMA forum only using the small margin of UFC PPV is a bit sketchy, imo.

I understand that they want fighters to have more PPV wins before they actually headline a PPV. It's the highest league in MMA and the highest league within the league, so to speak. But that doesn't mean that what they did outside of that league doesn't matter. Those wins outside of the UFC got them into the UFC, and same goes for the wins on Fight Nights, so all the reason to acknowledge them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back