If Demian Maia wins...

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
Naw, beat him in like 3 seconds ;-)

I think it is clear the UFC is trying to give Maia a very easy path to the belt so I would expect him to get a shot.

Look, we all know since UFC 1 that top BJJ guys on a certain type of top wrestler but soon after UFC 1, a different type of top wrestler became the top bjj worst matchup. The best matchup type is the guy who is a td and control guy. The worst matchup is the wrestler type with good defensive wrestling, good tdd or scrambles. And who can force the fight to stand and win the standup.

Sonnen, Fitch, Shields have nothing for Maia on the ground and pose almost no threat standing (he may be the better striker) and so he can rush at them with no fear.

You give him a Munoz or Weidman or Hendricks, Ellenberger, or even Kos type and suddenly he has to respect the striking and they have the defensive wrestling to make him stand.

If the UFC had wanted to give Maia an easy path to the belt he coul have easily already had a title shot after beating Fitch. They made Hendricks wait before, and they could do it again.

If anything them pairing Maia with Kos was a way to shut him out IMO. A strong foghter who has decent sub defence and very strong control but who isn't in the top ten anymore and thusly is not much of a springboard to a title shot.

Anyway I think if Maia beats Shields that should be it, he deserves his shot, after beating 4 in a row and looking good doing it at WW.

I think it is clear the UFC is trying to give Maia a very easy path to the belt so I would expect him to get a shot.

Look, we all know since UFC 1 that top BJJ guys on a certain type of top wrestler but soon after UFC 1, a different type of top wrestler became the top bjj worst matchup. The best matchup type is the guy who is a td and control guy. The worst matchup is the wrestler type with good defensive wrestling, good tdd or scrambles. And who can force the fight to stand and win the standup.

Sonnen, Fitch, Shields have nothing for Maia on the ground and pose almost no threat standing (he may be the better striker) and so he can rush at them with no fear.

You give him a Munoz or Weidman or Hendricks, Ellenberger, or even Kos type and suddenly he has to respect the striking and they have the defensive wrestling to make him stand.

easy path? his first fight was DHK, then rick story (who beat both previusly, jake and hendricks) fitch and Kos, is not an easy path FOR ANYEONE (kos was the one who was suppous to fight maia)

if the UFC wanted to give Maia an easy path, there are a shit ton of strikers with good name who wouldve gotten rapped by maia...

DHK doesn't deserve Maia? :icon_lol:.

If you take out Maia's fluke win over Kim, as a WW he only has a win over Fitch (who isn't a UFC fighter anymore and only has 2 wins in his last 6 fights ) and Story (who also only has 2 wins in his last 6 fights).

The UFC should do Kim vs Maia rematch, winner gets title shot.(if they both win)

no he doesnt. Fitch was top 5, story was top 10, DHK has beaten NO one single dude in the top 10. Let alone in impression fashion.

If the UFC had wanted to give Maia an easy path to the belt he coul have easily already had a title shot after beating Fitch. They made Hendricks wait before, and they could do it again.

If anything them pairing Maia with Kos was a way to shut him out IMO. A strong foghter who has decent sub defence and very strong control but who isn't in the top ten anymore and thusly is not much of a springboard to a title shot.

Anyway I think if Maia beats Shields that should be it, he deserves his shot, after beating 4 in a row and looking good doing it at WW.

This is what I am pointing out. He has to defeat Shields in a manner acceptable to Dana and the fans.

Maia vs GSP. Only option.

GSP looked like shit beating Shields. Why would Maia doing the exact same thing deter his title shot, assuming you're looking at it logically.

Maia vs GSP. Only option.

GSP looked like shit beating Shields. Why would Maia doing the exact same thing deter his title shot, assuming you're looking at it logically.

GSP could only see from one eye. I think it's the kind of thing that doesn't help while fighting.

GSP could only see from one eye. I think it's the kind of thing that doesn't help while fighting.
Some dudes get repeatedly kicked in the balls mid fight too. Doesn't seem to matter after the fact when the fighter chooses to continue.

Not interested.
I want him to face the winner of Lawler/Rory, or go straight for GSP.

I'm tired of people complanining that blablabla fighter doesn't deserve a title shot. There is no one that deserves more and i rather see an active champ fighting as often as possible.
Had the same opinion about Weidman, who cares that he didn't deserve the shot? There was nobody else so i was definetly in favor of the fight.

The injury was sustained in the fight so no.
Maia if he beat shields deserves a top 5 guy or GSP/Hendricks winner.

Shutting Fitch,Story,DHK (3 accomplished grapplers) down is no easy matter.

Nah he'll get a title shot and DH Kim will fight Mike Pierce if they both win IMO...winner of that one gets a title-eliminator!

I would really like to understand the reason some people want a DHK rematch, how does it even make sense? He should get GSP next, if he wins, or the winner of Condit/Brown, other than that i see no reason for another fight, unless GSP loses and gets immediate rematch or if he wins but sustains a serious injury

Interview with Dong Hyun Kim

Question: A lot of American analysts think you are Top 5 in grappling & wrestling in the welterweight division.

Answer: I think I am No. 1. I’m the best wrestler & grappler in my division. If I ever fight GSP, I can guarantee he would be shocked by my wrestling.

Source:
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=87470435

I think he would get a title shot or at least a # 1 contender match. People think he's just going to grapplefuck to a win, but look what he's done so far at WW. Ok, toss out the Stun Gun fight as a fluke injury if you want. The neck crank on Story was just evil, and NOBODY has ever had his way with Fitch like that. Even vs GSP, he mounted some offense, but he barely even had a chance to throw a strike vs Maia before he gave up his back. Fitch grapplefucked people, and it was impressive in it's own way, but it was a lot of fans saying "oh, *THIS* again". That wasn't exactly the reaction they had to Maia doing it far better in reverse.

^^^one would hope but you never know with DW and the UFC

Back