i want your opinions on this (boxing vs mma)

Yes, they were widely regarded as the best, Ronda especially. Check the odds on the Holm fight if you need to. She was sitting around -1500 lol. Vegas doesnt go by popularity.

They kinda do. Odds are created to get play on both sides. If public perception is that someone is invincible (even if experts recognize that person is vulnerable) then the odds have to reflect that aspect of public opinion.

No they dont.

If they did theyd lose their asses.

Yes they do.

Sorry, no. Vegas doesnt follow hype.

Yes they do. Hype is a major factor in determining how people place bets. It's all created to make money. If you ignore how and why people bet, you are setting yourself up to lose money.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/...betting-favorite-over-holly-holm-in-potential

I do not gamble. But this was all explained to me at a young age by my grandfather (Jersey family, worked in Atlantic City for 30 years), and I'm always amazed that people who gamble quite a bit do not really understand how the odds are created. I had this discussion with someone else on here one time, I think it was JayElectra.

Odds are not simply a reflection of who is likely to win. It's not even a secret, it's openly discussed as the way that odds are created.

Youre right. They win absurdly high percentages of times because they put the money on hype jobs.... Got it.

Pretending not to understand by being sarcastic is not a good look.

They win most of the time because they take everything into account when they create the odds.

Except for hype.

Hype effects how people bet, and how people bet effects how odds are made.

And here you finally move the goalpost from "Vegas doesn't use hype" to "Vegas doesn't use hype as much as data"

Odds are made much more on facts and data than hype. That is not debatable.

I know your heart is in the right place but it's a pretty complicated situation with various wildly rich people all looking to protect their own interests. Any solution will not be so simple.
Agreed. Theres far too many orgs and $ involved to ever make it uniform. UFC appears moreso because they control such a vast majority of the sport. And even then they suffer a lot of the same issues.

And here you finally move the goalpost from "Vegas doesn't use hype" to "Vegas doesn't use hype as much as data"

Not sure how else I need to express that.

Not sure how else I need to express that.

Immediately before you said that, you said they do not consider hype at all.

Then your next post, you shifted the goalpost to include hype.

It's fine man, most people do not understand how the odds are made. Most people just assume it is an exact representation of who is likely to win.

Immediately before you said that, you said they do not consider hype at all.

Then your next post, you shifted the goalpost to include hype.

It's fine man, most people do not understand how the odds are made. Most people just assume it is an exact representation of who is likely to win.
Pat that back.

Agreed. Theres far too many orgs and $ involved to ever make it uniform. UFC appears moreso because they control such a vast majority of the sport. And even then they suffer a lot of the same issues.
I actually didn't find the sale all that surprising. They get away with a lot just by basically being a monopoly and there not being any legislation protecting the fighters' interests. They are talking about expanding the Muhammad Ali act to include MMA and the fighters are talking about unionizing so things may change in the not too distant future. You also have Bellator investing more in better fighters so the competition is ramping up somewhat as well.

They kinda do. Odds are created to get play on both sides. If public perception is that someone is invincible (even if experts recognize that person is vulnerable) then the odds have to reflect that aspect of public opinion.
You are talking odds as in giving points in team sports ...sorry but i am familiar with betting and in the fight game theres a reason you have to put up a big risk to win any significant amount and thats bc the favorite in any combat sports usually win. Hype does not play much factor in MMA because they take probability of such intangables of who evers fighting take down defence vs someones take down abilities vs someones striking vs submission skill.....etc This is done through data /percentages and ALL statistics ,not hype .

The bookies HAVE to put the favorite fighter to win not the more hyped one ,that doesnt even make sense and is illogical......more bets on a team or individual will shift the betting lines it will not determine who they make the favorite . End of story

Eh, Uncle Termite is pretty terrible most of the time.
Ive grown to find his Joshua arguments amusing. The one that got me was when he said only Wlad has a better resume.
Ah ok, I misunderstood, my bad.
All good. I think we all know TS intentions with this one. But we got some good conversation out of it, and thats tough to do with anything comparing boxing/mma.

You are talking odds as in giving points in team sports ...sorry but i am familiar with betting and in the fight game theres a reason you have to put up a big risk to win any significant amount and thats bc the favorite in any combat sports usually win. Hype does not play much factor in MMA because they take probability of such intangables of who evers fighting take down defence vs someones take down abilities vs someones string vs submission skill.....etc This is done through data /percentages and ALL statistics ,not hype . The bookies HAVE to put the favorite fighter to win not the more hyped one ,that doesnt even make sense and is illogical......more bets on a team or individual will shif the betting lines it will not determine who they make the favorite .

This is mostly incoherent. But it seems like you're saying MMA is different than most sports because the favorite usually wins... but the favorite usually wins in all sports, that's why they are the favorite.

It also seems like your'e saying betting in MMA is different than most sports because they take into account specific match-ups, but that is also not different about MMA at all. Of course the odds always account for specifics like that in all sports.

That was just a really bad post.

I'm still too new. I also post from my phone so I don't see the avatars unless I tilt my phone sideways. :(
Dont like the mobile views on this new server for that reason. Im on my phone/ipad the majority of the time.

You are talking odds as in giving points in team sports ...sorry but i am familiar with betting and in the fight game theres a reason you have to put up a big risk to win any significant amount and thats bc the favorite in any combat sports usually win. Hype does not play much factor in MMA because they take probability of such intangables of who evers fighting take down defence vs someones take down abilities vs someones striking vs submission skill.....etc This is done through data /percentages and ALL statistics ,not hype .

The bookies HAVE to put the favorite fighter to win not the more hyped one ,that doesnt even make sense and is illogical......more bets on a team or individual will shift the betting lines it will not determine who they make the favorite . End of story
Well I'll agree I'm not an expert but read recently an article quoting a Vegas bookie that talked about how much money they lost. Don't remember if it was RR vs Holm or maybe a Conor fight. He explained why the had the odds the way they did. I'll try to find it and post a link.

This is mostly incoherent. But it seems like you're saying MMA is different than most sports because the favorite usually wins... but the favorite usually wins in all sports, that's why they are the favorite.

It also seems like your'e saying betting in MMA is different than most sports because they take into account specific match-ups, but that is also not different about MMA at all. Of course the odds always account for specifics like that in all sports.

That was just a really bad post.
Look whos moving the goal post now^^^^^^ haha

All you do is reiterate what is said when proven wrong !
And you were WRONG ,Hype does not play into account the vegas betting odds determination of the favorite ...statistics do ,did i go slow enough this time?

Ive grown to find his Joshua arguments amusing. The one that got me was when he said only Wlad has a better resume.

All good. I think we all know TS intentions with this one. But we got some good conversation out of it, and thats tough to do with anything comparing boxing/mma.
Yeah I guess that's true. Some people think it has to be one or the other but I enjoy them both.

Yeah I guess that's true. Some people think it has to be one or the other but I enjoy them both.
I dont get why the comparisons even happen so often. Theyre entirely different sports.

Look whos moving the goal post now^^^^^^ haha

All you do is reiterate what is said when proven wrong !
And you were WRONG ,Hype does not play into account the vegas betting odds determination of the favorite ...statistics do ,did i go slow enough this time?

Again, this is a nonsensical statement, followed by an incorrect statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back