I think that Gaethje-Ferg was an early stoppage.

1) tony was not coming back in that fight.

2) last thing tony needs is more brain damage.

That's not an apt comparison. Tony took infinitely more damage than Duran did, Tony's instinct was telling him he was done but his mouth never would imo hes just too tough to actually say the words, and the ref did the right thing stopping additional useless damage. The fact he was still there at that point was one of the most courageous things you will ever see.
I still think they are similar, they both pretty much showed they were done

I still think they are similar, they both pretty much showed they were done
Duran had taken very little damage and just realized he probably wasnt going to win and said no mas. Tony stood and got smashed for 23 or so minutes with smaller gloves and still it took the ref stepping in to stop it, who knows what happens if he doesnt maybe Tony has his own no mas moment but I doubt it. They are not anywhere near the same thing

lol Tony tko'd by a jab. what a bum
Tony wasn't TKO'd by the jab, it was the 20+ head punches he ate before that

He wasn't hurt by the jab, he just wasn't defending himself at that point. Herb was saving him from unnecessary punishment. No need to let Gaethje continue to tee off

I and most fight fans lost some respect for duran for that. I haven't seen anyone say that about tony
I still think they are similar, they both pretty much showed they were done[/QUOTE

I don’t like standing TKO’s at all.. Especially when the opponent has never been dropped the entire fight. Actually iirc JG was the one who was dropped at a point in that fight, anyways I’m not arguing that Tony took a lot of damage but not enough to warrant a stoppage.

we all know how tough he is and deserved the chance to finish out the fight.

There is no way possible that you are serious. Impossible. Cannot be speaking truthfully.

I and most fight fans lost some respect for duran for that. I haven't seen anyone say that about tony
MMA people are not as critical as boxing people, for example most MMA people went on and defended Cerrone from Steven A Smith after he trashed Cerrone after the Conor fight

Reminds me of this. Start at 18.20.

UcUZqUDOR3IgpY1BIwfxljTs7Lv8tnTQsgxUid2PY27nDFTFRD7PjlgdqY4ybvBP9hBd-Jm1

Tony was beaten to death so it was a good stoppage

I agree the result of the fight wasn’t going to go any different. Justin was just putting a beating on him.

But I’m not a fan of standing stoppages either, I come from the days when the fight should be stopped when one guy goes out and can no longer fight. “On his way out” is a ridiculous reason to stop a fight.

Guess it’s just a bit old school, just bleed baby.
When was those days? Because standing tkos has been a part of combat sports (including mma) since the beginning of documented combat sports.

So let me ask again - when was this "time" you are speaking of?

If his corner had sense they would have throw in the towel after the 4th.

Justin was landing bombs all night and the scorecards wouldn’t have told us anything we didn’t already know. Tony was rattled and was saved from any more potential damage.

This gif says it all. Tony was done and his body was telling no even though his mind wants to push through. The head shake was all you need, it's like turning your back in boxing
SickPersonalDormouse-size_restricted.gif

He was completely done, should have been stopped sooner if anything.

Classic example of too tough for his own good.

I don’t like standing TKO’s at all.. Especially when the opponent has never been dropped the entire fight. Actually iirc JG was the one who was dropped at a point in that fight, anyways I’m not arguing that Tony took a lot of damage but not enough to warrant a stoppage.

we all know how tough he is and deserved the chance to finish out the fight.

doesn’t matter. all that would’ve changed is that it would’ve been a UD instead of a tko

Back