I think that Gaethje-Ferg was an early stoppage.

Same but Ferguson would have lose either way

He should’ve gotten the opportunity to take it to the cards.

That was a really weak stoppage
What exactly does "opportunity to take it to the cards mean"?

Like does he have an opportunity to win the fight on the cards? Of course not.

So is this some sort of like "moral victory" speech where he gets obliterated for five rounds but somehow gets irrelevant credit for "toughness" because he wasn't officially knocked out?

Its like when a fighter gets pummeled to the ground, gives up his back, and gets submitted. Yeah, it technically goes down as a submission loss, but its really "submission via TKO", meaning he got submitted because he was tired of getting bludgeoned by his opponent.

That’s not old school at all. We have a badass fight between two of the toughest MF’s in the sport and it gets stopped standing? That’s bs.
Same way the supposed “BMF” fight got stopped by a cut smh.
It’s sad that this day and age of MMA I feel like the fans are more delicate and not as keen on fighting as they are personality.

Huge Tony fan, but I didn't have a big problem with it. What bothered me was hearing people say that it's 'cause Tony nodded his head.... It's like, yeah, to avoid getting KO'd, that's a smart thing to do. I've literally been wondering for years why I haven't seen anyone do it... That's what I would've done if I was that hurt. It's like if your shoulder popped out of place and you put it back. Nothing wrong with that. And if the fight was super competitive, I would've contested that stoppage, too. But the right person won and for Tony's sake, I'm glad he didn't have to suffer anymore. While fighters comeback from a lot, he wasn't coming back from that.

Last edited:
This gif says it all. Tony was done and his body was telling no even though his mind wants to push through. The head shake was all you need, it's like turning your back in boxing
SickPersonalDormouse-size_restricted.gif

lol Tony tko'd by a jab. what a bum

That’s not old school at all. We have a badass fight between two of the toughest MF’s in the sport and it gets stopped standing? That’s bs.
What an absolute garbage take. The stoppage was fine, Tony was saved from further unnecessary damage but he wasn't dead so they should've let it continue.

Delete this trash thread

This gif says it all. Tony was done and his body was telling no even though his mind wants to push through. The head shake was all you need, it's like turning your back in boxing
SickPersonalDormouse-size_restricted.gif
I don't think I've seen another fight where the guy took as much damage as Ferguson did in that fight. He ate Gaethje's best shots. Shots that would have floored just about anybody else. It was insane.

And people were questionning his chin. I'm more worried about his chin now after going through that war.

Ferg was one moment away from permanent brain damage are you serious bro or dont you have a heart? he was a walking piñata the whole fight and that stoppage was perfect.

Text book TKO. When a fighter shakes his head "no" like that, especially one as tough as Ferg, something is very wrong. I dont know what would have happened next but I think it would have been worse than a normal knockout. Its a good thing TS isnt a ref.

we all know how tough he is and deserved the chance to finish out the fight.
Ref's aren't suppose to judge when to stop a fight based on a fighter's toughness.

Retreating/running away justifies a stoppage if they're getting hit.
NLJB3p.gif

Just because a fighter hasn't been dropped doesn't prohibit a stoppage either.
tumblr_nwb9spJjIf1r89qoso1_400.gif

It's honestly amazing how Ferguson was knocked out after Gaethje's first punch (you can see Ferguson briefly start to collapse in on himself), and with just the shake of his head, Ferguson managed to stop himself from going out. Ferguson retreating, shaking his head a second time, and eating another punch from Gaethje justifies the stoppage.
CompleteBlaringHaddock-size_restricted.gif

I don’t have an issue with it because Tony was clearly having some kind of issue when he was shaking his head, but if it would have continued for a tiny bit longer I wouldn’t have been mad either.

You’re an idiot then. Tony got whooped and was literally blocking punches with his face.

I don’t like standing TKO’s at all.. Especially when the opponent has never been dropped the entire fight. Actually iirc JG was the one who was dropped at a point in that fight, anyways I’m not arguing that Tony took a lot of damage but not enough to warrant a stoppage.

No need to finish a fight and take unnecessary and unanswered damage when there is clearly a victor is already decided.

I don’t like standing TKO’s at all.. Especially when the opponent has never been dropped the entire fight. Actually iirc JG was the one who was dropped at a point in that fight, anyways I’m not arguing that Tony took a lot of damage but not enough to warrant a stoppage.

Idiot.

Tony Ferguson quit. He shook his head, turned his back, walked — no, ran — away, wanting no more of that poison.

The referee did not "stop the fight early," the referee read Tony Ferguson's QUITTING SIGNS ACCURATELY, and bailed Tony out the situation he realized he could not handle.

Just keeping it real for Fucktards like you.

Back