Both a good and early stoppage?

Flash11

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First thread started! I might be a white belt, but I'm a platinum belt lurker. Hope this is interesting.

I am sure there have been posts talking about the Pereira Prochazka, but I was a bit lazy to go through all of them to see if this point was posted (maybe I'm st a purple belt lurker).

I think the stoppage was good from the ref's perspective, but also bad from the "was the fight legitimately done" perspective. You see Prochazka get dropped, then very soon get dropped again from the short elbows. He very clearly had a moment where he went completely limp and was out, when he fell back.

Goddard saw his body go limp, when Jiri's arms sort of floated up, and that was when he made the call to jump in and stop the fight. If a fighter gets dropped, then gets hit again very soon and goes limp, you should stop that fight ten times out of ten at that exact moment. I have no problem with Goddard jumping in there. In fact, it was a really fast reaction to the fight's action, and in my mind high quality refereeing.

It just turns out Jiri came back almost immediately and was still in the fight. So it was a bad stoppage in that sense. But Goddard had made the call already. And the call was correct, as he moved in the second Jiri seems to go out after having been dropped moments before.

So, Goddard reffed the fight correctly and made a good stoppage, but the stoppage did not accurately indicate if the fight was truly done.

I actually felt the exact opposite.

I think the stoppage was bad from the ref's perspective (consistency, standard) but good from the sense that Jiri was getting fucked up and probably a few uncontested shots from unnecessary damage.

I actually felt the exact opposite.

I think the stoppage was bad from the ref's perspective (consistency, standard) but good from the sense that Jiri was getting fucked up and probably a few uncontested shots from unnecessary damage.

What do you mean by "(consistency, standard)"? To me, the standard of stopping a fight when a fighter is dropped twice in ten or so seconds is a good standard. Consistency wise, of course fight stoppages are inconsistent. I would, however, want them to be consistently stopped this way.

Curious what your baseline stoppage is for this.

What do you mean by "(consistency, standard)"? To me, the standard of stopping a fight when a fighter is dropped twice in ten or so seconds is a good standard. Consistency wise, of course fight stoppages are inconsistent. I would, however, want them to be consistently stopped this way.

Curious what your baseline stoppage is for this.

Well we witnessed several fights earlier that night where it was let go much longer. Hell, I thought the Red Cross was gonna stop the Borschev fight.

I would argue that the Aspinall stoppage was not only earlier than we saw earlier in the night, but also than we see on average, even excluding the leeway a main event or title fight also usually gets.

Back