Opinion I stand with Hong kong

Hong Kong riots are despicable, just like the London ones several years back. Trashing your own city and attacking people because they are speaking mandarin (the official language of China) is just one of the examples how stupid these “protesters” are.

Interesting to see it from a brainwashed Communist point of view.

In china you can't handle satirical programs. Not even when it is produced by Sweden. China demanded the Swedish government for a public apology. Did it come yet? Never.

Just letting everyone know that the Toronto Raptors are the 2019 NBA champions.

Thats all
Yeah, then Kawhi Leonard, their best player, decides to leave a reigning championship team because even he can't stay in Canada that long.

wait what? I thought the NBA was on the woke front lines. They love LGBTQ+ and have Spanish heritage months, the jerseys are written in Spanish. So they for people rights or the $$$$ lol

James Harden apologizes as controversy grows: 'We love China'
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27787634/james-harden-apologizes-controversy-grows-love-china

hi ShadowRun,

Adam Silver and the rest of the NBA ownership really have big hopes to make inroads in China - a country that will soon surpass the US economically.

whether you're GM or the NBA, if you want to expand your market, all roads lead to China.

China's government is expecting this US citizen, Mr. Morey, to be punished. if the NBA cares about its earnings, they better tow the line and do something.

*muses*

the Rockets ownership, their star James Harden, along with the NBA has apologized to China - but they better do something more if they want to remain in the good graces of the Chinese.

Fire Mr. Morey (whom, to be fair, is a terrific GM and was just exercising his 1st amendment rights), and issue a statement condemning the violent protestors in Hong Kong. something along those lines.

- IGIT

The NBA does not stand with Hong Kong. But, it's good with standing against Donald Trump.

Hmmmmmmm????

The NBA does not stand with Hong Kong. But, it's good with standing against Donald Trump.

Hmmmmmmm????

hi Whippy McGee,

its not quite the same.

being opposed to one's POTUS and voicing your disapproval is legal in the US. but doing the same is not legal in China. if the Rockets and the NBA want that Chinese money, they have to observe the rules of their country.

*ponders*

how do you feel about what's going on in Hong Kong?

- IGIT

China probably accounts for a very very large portion of NBA revenue. No amount of personal feelings about China as a nation is going to force the NBA to denounce what may be their biggest market. There are more self-professed NBA fans in China than there are people in America.

That go to no games. Don't fool yourself. Ticket sales are still the majority of revenue for any NBA team.

Not to mention they play in billion dollar stadiums gifted to them by the American tax payer.

hi Whippy McGee,

its not quite the same.

being opposed to one's POTUS and voicing your disapproval is legal in the US. but doing the same is not legal in China. if the Rockets and the NBA want that Chinese money, they have to observe the rules of their country.

*ponders*

how do you feel about what's going on in Hong Kong?

- IGIT

It is that simple if you are an American, and not lining your pockets with that Chinese money.

In fact if you are an American tax payer who subsidized the billion dollar stadium these teams play in, I would think you have every right to demand the NBA play by our rules.

Thread topic aside am I the only one who thinks this season is shaping up to be one for the ages? Hoops fans gotta be excited.

Lakers with Bron and AD. Clippers with Kawhi and PG. Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. Nets with Kyrie and KD (well not this year at least). Celtics added Kemba. GS added Deangelo Russell and still have Curry, Green, and Klay (not till midseason). Pelicans with Zion etc.

We must not yield on shit like this.

Too bad we have a whole segment of society that is ok with prostrating to China bc trump is actually playing hardball on trade.

hi Happy Man,

its all about money, brosef. the NBA is no different than our POTUS.

During a private phone call in June, President Donald Trump promised Chinese President Xi Jinping that the US would remain quiet on pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong while trade talks continued, two sources familiar with the call tell CNN.

The remarkable pledge to the Chinese leader is a dramatic departure from decades of US support for human rights in China and shows just how eager Trump is to strike a deal with Beijing as the trade war weighs on the US economy.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/politics/trump-xi-hong-kong-protests/index.html

i am assuming neither Mr. Trump, nor NBA ownership, is doing cartwheels as protestors (whom i personally think are pushing their luck too far) get beaten by the police in Hong Kong - but there's money to made, a great deal of it.

whaddaya gonna do? its the American way.

- IGIT

Thread topic aside am I the only one who thinks this season is shaping up to be one for the ages? Hoops fans gotta be excited.

Lakers with Bron and AD. Clippers with Kawhi and PG. Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. Nets with Kyrie and KD (well not this year at least). Celtics added Kemba. GS added Deangelo Russell and still have Curry, Green, and Klay (not till midseason). Pelicans with Zion etc.

I quit watching when they stole the Sonic's, so no.

Also the lack of parity in the NBA, makes it like baseball. It is basically a regional sport for the 8 teams that have a chance every year. Never mind that the sport was better before they changed the rules to kill the mid ranged jump shot, and protected players from driving to the rim without protecting themselves.

hio Viva,

It is that simple if you are an American, and not lining your pockets with that Chinese money.

Americans either line their pockets with Chinese money, or fill their homes with Chinese products.

In fact if you are an American tax payer who subsidized the billion dollar stadium these teams play in, I would think you have every right to demand the NBA play by our rules.

the NBA, like other multinational entities, are global...and if you are a superpower that's beginning its descent seeking to business with a superpower that's ascending (and about to surpass you), we have to play by their rules. if we want their money, that is.

it doesn't matter if you're Donald Trump or Adam Silver - one doesn't question the way China governs.

- IGIT

hio Viva,

Americans either line their pockets with Chinese money, or fill their homes with Chinese products.

the NBA, like other multinational entities, are global...and if you are a superpower that's beginning its descent seeking to business with a superpower that's ascending (and about to surpass you), we have to play by their rules. if we want their money, that is.

it doesn't matter if you're Donald Trump or Adam Silver - one doesn't question the way China governs.

- IGIT

Who is we my man?

We, is we the tax payer who funded those stadiums.

We, is not the stakeholders of the Houston rockets. That is them.

And fuck them.

I quit watching when they stole the Sonic's, so no.

Also the lack of parity in the NBA, makes it like baseball. It is basically a regional sport for the 8 teams that have a chance every year. Never mind that the sport was better before they changed the rules to kill the mid ranged jump shot, and protected players from driving to the rim without protecting themselves.

Yea. I really hate the fact that they made handchecking illegal. I know for sure that 75% of today's stars would be decent at best if defenders were allowed to handcheck.

That go to no games. Don't fool yourself. Ticket sales are still the majority of revenue for any NBA team.

Not to mention they play in billion dollar stadiums gifted to them by the American tax payer.

I'm not expert on where the revenue comes from, but I assume the NBA has massive TV deals in China and the merch sales for a fanbase that is nearly 50% larger than the entire population of the US is definitely worth a very pretty penny.

Yea. I really hate the fact that they made handchecking illegal. I know for sure that 75% of today's stars would be decent at best if defenders were allowed to handcheck.

It really degrades the game over time. When they first changed the rules, it made the basketball better. You had these players who trained to play in a more difficult defensive game, who then had life made real easy on them to be offensive God's. Then the game adjusted, and kids weren't getting trained to hit a mid range jump shot, have a post up game, dribble through contact.....and you end up with this watered down shit game we see in the NFL and NBA. Low level high scoring games. Hot garbage piles polished with a big score, and shitty officiating.

hi ShadowRun,

Adam Silver and the rest of the NBA ownership really have big hopes to make inroads in China - a country that will soon surpass the US economically.

whether you're GM or the NBA, if you want to expand your market, all roads lead to China.

China's government is expecting this US citizen, Mr. Morey, to be punished. if the NBA cares about its earnings, they better tow the line and do something.

*muses*

the Rockets ownership, their star James Harden, along with the NBA has apologized to China - but they better do something more if they want to remain in the good graces of the Chinese.

Fire Mr. Morey (whom, to be fair, is a terrific GM and was just exercising his 1st amendment rights), and issue a statement condemning the violent protestors in Hong Kong. something along those lines.

- IGIT
That's MR RUN to you!!!

I know why they want China but the double standards it's obvious and worth pointing out.

Back