Opinion I stand with Hong kong

Who is we my man?

We, is we the tax payer who funded those stadiums.

We, is not the stakeholders of the Houston rockets. That is them.

And fuck them.

hello again VivaRevolution,

who is we? i guess its whomever seeks to have a beneficial relationship with China - in the coming years.

i live a tiny city and in this teensy city (its about ten by ten blocks wide) we have a terrible NBA franchise, an above average NFL team, and even a minor league team (just a block from Panther Stadium) - all it paid for, or partly paid for, with taxpayer money.

the development around these stadiums has been tremendous. bars, restaurants, hotels, condominiums, much better cocaine (the city's coke was really terrible in 2000, when i first arrived here), etc.

so, i see these things as a kind of quid pro quo.

i understand that some cities sign on to some very bad deals in their effort to land one of these teams, but it doesn't always turn out that way.

in terms of the OP and China, if i was someone doing business with China, i'd probably tell my employees to keep their mouths shut about Hong Kong too.

*muses*

Viva, i live in a conservative part of the country - and work with clients whose politics are an anathema to me. i keep my mouth shut.

that's life, man.

- IGIT

I'm not expert on where the revenue comes from, but I assume the NBA has massive TV deals in China and the merch sales for a fanbase that is nearly 50% larger than the entire population of the US is definitely worth a very pretty penny.

Sure it's worth plenty, but still not equal to the ticket gates.

hello again VivaRevolution,

who is we? i guess its whomever seeks to have a beneficial relationship with China - in the coming years.

i live a tiny city and in this teensy city (its about ten by ten blocks wide) we have a terrible NBA franchise, an above average NFL team, and even a minor league team (just a block from Panther Stadium) - all it paid for, or partly paid for, with taxpayer money.

the development around these stadiums has been tremendous. bars, restaurants, hotels, condominiums, much better cocaine (the city's coke was really terrible in 2000, when i first arrived here), etc.

so, i see these things as a kind of quid pro quo.

i understand that some cities sign on to some very bad deals in their effort to land one of these teams, but it doesn't always turn out that way.

in terms of the OP and China, if i was someone doing business with China, i'd probably tell my employees to keep their mouths shut about Hong Kong too.

*muses*

Viva, i live in a conservative part of the country - and work with clients whose politics are an anathema to me. i keep my mouth shut.

that's life, man.

- IGIT

I hear you man, but here is the truth. What you are describing is a, "the squeaky wheel gets greased" scenario. If so, then it is time to get to squeaking.

Last edited:
Thread topic aside am I the only one who thinks this season is shaping up to be one for the ages? Hoops fans gotta be excited.

Lakers with Bron and AD. Clippers with Kawhi and PG. Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. Nets with Kyrie and KD (well not this year at least). Celtics added Kemba. GS added Deangelo Russell and still have Curry, Green, and Klay (not till midseason). Pelicans with Zion etc.
Raptors with Siakam and Freddy Sr. Should have been first on your list

Yea. I really hate the fact that they made handchecking illegal. I know for sure that 75% of today's stars would be decent at best if defenders were allowed to handcheck.
The rule changes were for the better. Nostalgia is a helluva drug if you think the game was more pleasant to watch in the 80s or 90s. It was ugly Iso plays after ugly Iso plays.

The rule changes were for the better. Nostalgia is a helluva drug if you think the game was more pleasant to watch in the 80s or 90s. It was ugly Iso plays after ugly Iso plays.

Idk. Legislating defense out of the game may make it more appealing and exciting for the casual (high scoring, 3s galore etc) but it also lowers the threshold for greatness.

Watching truly great players outperform and defeat their peers in an era where defenders were given a lot of leeway in their effort to contain their opponents held much more cachet.

Jordan in this era would be truly unstoppable. Same goes for Iverson. I'm not so sure the same could be said for some of today's stars in reverse.

hi Happy Man,

its all about money, brosef. the NBA is no different than our POTUS.

During a private phone call in June, President Donald Trump promised Chinese President Xi Jinping that the US would remain quiet on pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong while trade talks continued, two sources familiar with the call tell CNN.

The remarkable pledge to the Chinese leader is a dramatic departure from decades of US support for human rights in China and shows just how eager Trump is to strike a deal with Beijing as the trade war weighs on the US economy.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/politics/trump-xi-hong-kong-protests/index.html

i am assuming neither Mr. Trump, nor NBA ownership, is doing cartwheels as protestors (whom i personally think are pushing their luck too far) get beaten by the police in Hong Kong - but there's money to made, a great deal of it.

whaddaya gonna do? its the American way.

- IGIT

It’s not the american way! It’s the way of the globalists. Who run every aspect of American commerce, industry, and culture.

Globalists Despise the common American, And are working to inundate them with unasked for immigrants to further weaken the nation and impoverish the worker.

It’s not the american way! It’s the way of the globalists. Who run every aspect of American commerce, industry, and culture.

Globalists Despise the common American, And are working to inundate them with unasked for immigrants to further weaken the nation and impoverish the worker.

hiya Happy Man,

we are all globalists, from Donald Trump down to the American farmer who is bitching and whining because he can't sell his soybeans.....to China.

we either partake of globalism directly in some manner (even me, lol. i'm a shareholder who owns stocks in several multinational firms) or we fill our homes and closets with the the fruits of free trade.

that's the world we live in and that's life, Happy Man. if you can undo the jet engine, large shipping vessels and the internet, maybe globalism will go away - but that sounds like a very heavy lift.

i guess one of the downsides of the globalism that we're starting to learn is this; when you're no longer the top dog, others kinda get to tell you what the rules of the game are, and the rule is this; do not be public in any critique of China's government if you want to do business with them.

like i said, it doesn't matter if you're Donald Trump or the GM of the Houston Rockets. those are the rules of the road now.

- IGIT

Idk. Legislating defense out of the game may make it more appealing and exciting for the casual (high scoring, 3s galore etc) but it also lowers the threshold for greatness.

Watching truly great players outperform and defeat their peers in an era where defenders were given a lot of leeway in their effort to contain their opponents held much more cachet.

Jordan in this era would be truly unstoppable. Same goes for Iverson. I'm not so sure the same could be said for some of today's stars in reverse.
It's nostalgia the pace and ppg in the 80s were higher than today

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

The idea that it was a super physical defensive game was built on one single team. You say handchecking allowed for better D, but help defense was illegal. Jordan and Iverson would be Westbrook's of today. inefficient iso players in a league built on movement. (Think DeMar) seriously sit down and watch a full game from 1990, and compare it to 2019. It's a hard watch.

hiya Happy Man,

we are all globalists, from Donald Trump down to the American farmer who is bitching and whining because he can't sell his soybeans.....to China.

we either partake of globalism directly in some manner (even me, lol. i'm a shareholder who owns stocks in several multinational firms) or we fill our homes and closets with the the fruits of free trade.

that's the world we live in and that's life, Happy Man.

- IGIT

Fuck your stocks and fuck your “free trade” Igit. Like hell we are all globalists.

- Happy Man

Physical phenoms like LeBron would have averaged 40-15-10 in Jordans era where man to man was the only option.

Fuck your stocks and fuck your “free trade” Igit. Like hell we are all globalists.

- Happy Man

herro Happy Man,

as a Gen Xer, i can see the foothills of my retirement now, if i squint into the distance...so...no, do not fuck my stocks.

i need them.

and yeah, we are all globalists. from Donald Trump (who also bowed down to the Chinese regarding Hong Kong) down to the humble US farmer. if you aren't, then go throw whatever you're reading this on in the ocean - you don't need a computer or a tablet or a smartphone, do you?

- IGIT

Physical phenoms like LeBron would have averaged 40-15-10 in Jordans era where man to man was the only option.

hi MART!AN,

maybe.

or maybe all the hand checking and hard contact from the Piston's era "bad boys" would have rendered him incapable of finishing a series.

you never know.

- IGIT

Lebron would have cried like a baby back then, hed be eating elbows all game.

Lebron would have cried like a baby back then, hed be eating elbows all game.

heya Happy Man,

i can just picture Lebron taking it hard to the lane and then feeling Laimbeer's forearm shiver knock him senseless.

or Lebron taking Bird off the dribble only to find Parrish and Mchale guarding the rim.

it was a different time back then.

- IGIT

Last edited:
lol at people thinking the nba game was tougher back in the 80's. FG% was higher, fouls called were significantly higher in the 80's, ft attempts per game were significantly higher in the 80's. There were tons of illegal defensive rules that have since been outlawed. bet most you guy dont remember that faking a double team on defense used to be illegal and result in ft's. being below the ft line while on the weak side of defense if your man was out of arms reach and above the ft line extended was illegal and resulted and ft's. Everything was ft's and meant to stop defenses back then which is why the scoring and fg% was so damn high. Modern era has only recently started to catch up with scoring and shooting numbers from the 80's because players are just that much more skilled now they can overcome the rule changes.

hi MART!AN,

maybe.

or maybe all the hand checking and hard contact from the Piston's era "bad boys" would have rendered him incapable of finishing a series.

you never know.

- IGIT
I'm sure a 6'8 260 pound physical phenom would have been fine in an era where they called fouls for touching an elbow.

wait what? I thought the NBA was on the woke front lines. They love LGBTQ+ and have Spanish heritage months, the jerseys are written in Spanish. So they for people rights or the $$$$ lol

James Harden apologizes as controversy grows: 'We love China'
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27787634/james-harden-apologizes-controversy-grows-love-china

Fuckers dancing around for China

PREDICTION

When Trump loses we go right back to the way it was with China. I do not believe these scumbags in DC pretending to be hard on China. Both fucking sides.

Write it down. I guarantee this shit

Back