I Have To Reiterate: Once A fighter Gets Finished, He Is Never The Same Again

Sure, a finished fighter, can make a comeback and even regain championship but he is never the same again.
When that aura of invincibility disappears, some handle it better than others, but they are never the same again.
That's why, in the history of fighting sports, there are very few that can claim repeat championships, once they have suffered a finishing loss.
So when GSP got koed by Serra, was he was done? No, he returned and made the rematch look easy, like the 1st fight should have been. Reeled off 13 in a row after that fluke. Sometimes they come back.... But I agree for the most part. Also the current lw champ, Islam M got koed early in his UFC days, and now is the champ and has made it look pretty easy since for the most part. Also reeled off 13 in a row since. I'm sure there are lots more, just off the top of my head I thought of these 2. Older fighters are more suspectable I think. Volk has been a great champ, but his time is over. He can still be a good fighter, but he has too many miles to be champ again. If I were him retirement would be my choice at this point.

You will never fully recover from a brutal KO but with enough time you can heal those wounds. The main problem is if you are trying to recover while fighting top competition and even worse trying to defend your title. You are at a huge disadvantage because you don't likely have the time needed to rebuild your confidence back up

Make no mistake GSP is a GOAT champion but he also had time on his side. When you are 35 years old with an extensive career as champion and you lose, it's pretty much the end of the road for you

this is why khabib retired early. he was not confident he could be undefeated forever
No one stays undefeated forever. Khabib still living rent free and he's been retired for a few years now.

I think the cracked chin is a myth.

I do think reaction times and slower to roll with punches is real. So guys who get older tend to get ko’d more easily.

Yes, it was a big reason I picked Topuria. Add on being 35 and turning around quickly? This had bad news for Volk written all over it.

I'm not talking subs. I'm talking all striking sports.
The GSP Serra TKO refutes the initial point. Arlovski was KO'd in his very first fight, etc.
Fighters can recover from KO's, but that's the thing, they have to recover. The fighters that chain TKO/KOs are the ones that have their chin fall off a cliff. Each fighter is different.
Everyone was saying since Volk/Top was announced that Volk was coming back too quickly.

So when GSP got koed by Serra, was he was done? No, he returned and made the rematch look easy, like the 1st fight should have been. Reeled off 13 in a row after that fluke. Sometimes they come back.... But I agree for the most part. Also the current lw champ, Islam M got koed early in his UFC days, and now is the champ and has made it look pretty easy since for the most part. Also reeled off 13 in a row since. I'm sure there are lots more, just off the top of my head I thought of these 2. Older fighters are more suspectable I think. Volk has been a great champ, but his time is over. He can still be a good fighter, but he has too many miles to be champ again. If I were him retirement would be my choice at this point.
You just made my point. How many fighters are there? How many GSP's are there? BTW, that GSP even changed his fighting style and fought more cautiously after the Serra loss and Serra couldn't break an egg. A fluke. How many other guys has Serra KO'd? What if that fight wasn't on the up and up? And why is Serra such a buddy buddy with Dana, when they don't have anything in common? Maybe, too much info for you to consider?

Nick Diaz was TKOed when he was 18

Then spent the majority of his career as a guy who was impossible to finish, and he was in wars

You just made my point. How many fighters are there? How many GSP's are there? BTW, that GSP even changed his fighting style and fought more cautiously after the Serra loss and Serra couldn't break an egg. A fluke. How many other guys has Serra KO'd? What if that fight wasn't on the up and up? And why is Serra such a buddy buddy with Dana, when they don't have anything in common? Maybe, too much info for you to consider?
State the morbidly stupid accusation you're insinuating here so we can all laugh at you properly.

This is clearly not a fact. Rampage was murderer once and his head hung out the ring then had a horrible fight against ninja. After all that had his head kicked over and over by shogun, only to become a better fighter and capture the ufc lw title.

Sure, a finished fighter, can make a comeback and even regain championship but he is never the same again.
When that aura of invincibility disappears, some handle it better than others, but they are never the same again.
That's why, in the history of fighting sports, there are very few that can claim repeat championships, once they have suffered a finishing loss.

I disagree strongly because of how you worded it. Your example is way to broad and can easily be proven wrong. I.E all the following fighters had their best years after a KO loss: Bisping, Woodley, GSP, Wanderlei Silva, Islam, Rampage, Overreem, Cain....and many others.

What I would say is when a older dominant champion/high level veteran takes a bad KO they typically never look the same. I.E - Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, Chris Wiedmen, Frankie, Volk....and many others.

Fighting is a young man's game, with your reflexes being incredibly important. Your brain can only take so many hits before it's changes forever. You go from a rock soild chin and barley getting touched to getting clipped and going night night with a strong jab.

I think the cracked chin is a myth.

I do think reaction times and slower to roll with punches is real. So guys who get older tend to get ko’d more easily.
Interesting thought but I disagree. I think once the older guys get the BIG KO the chin can get "cracked" .

Chuck is the most glaring to me. He went from granite chin to glass chin after Rampage 2.

sar·casm
[ˈsärˌkazəm]

NOUN
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt:
Go get a life, kid!
I disagree strongly because of how you worded it. Your example is way to broad and can easily be proven wrong. I.E all the following fighters had their best years after a KO loss: Bisping, Woodley, GSP, Wanderlei Silva, Islam, Rampage, Overreem, Cain....and many others.

What I would say is when a older dominant champion/high level veteran takes a bad KO they typically never look the same. I.E - Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, Chris Wiedmen, Frankie, Volk....and many others.

Fighting is a young man's game, with your reflexes being incredibly important. Your brain can only take so many hits before it's changes forever. You go from a rock soild chin and barley getting touched to getting clipped and going night night with a strong jab.
Out of thousands of fighters, you mentioned less than a dozen and how do you know they were the same after concussions? You saying Bisping was better after he got decapitated by Henderson? Overeem better after Ngannou, who also ended Cain. Rampage the same after 2 Wanderlei losses? Chuck Lidell doesn't know what planet he is on and it all began with Rashad. It is a young man's game and so is PTSD and once you loose that air of invincibility, you know you are not the same. Ferguson should be the poster boy after Gaethje discombobulated him. I'm done holding classes for MMA casuals.

Serra was never in GSP's league. It was a fluke like Randleman's Ko vs Cro Cop. And I'm sure there are more, I just don't feel like researching it at all rn. I think age has more to do with it than anything. A 22 year old Volk could make it back and be grea, unlike an older one we saw get koed 2 times in a row now. It's easy to say .. old champs eventually lose and never return to greatness. There's tons of those, all older with many miles on them. Being Koed also takes away from their invinciblity to other fighters, which is a big factor as well. GSP was never a ko artist. Always a point fighter, so I don't think a claim that Matt changed his style, just obviously had to be more cautious in 2nd fight. I also believe he took Matt lightly since he was a late replacement fighter in the 1st fight and had trained most of his camp f9r a9me9ne else entirely. I said I agree for the most part that brutal ko's end many fighters, but like I said it's older fighters so it can't be said of young guys. I would think many young guys have been koed, and move past to become champs or at least have very good win loss %. Olivera has been koed more than once and made it to be a champ. I could look thru many records and add more, but not going to bother. Point is same, yes older guys get brutally koed and lose the belt, hardly ever make it back to that level, but age is a key factor...as much as the ko is. I think a 5 round beat down without a finish would be just as detrimental if not more so.

I think it's a being KOed combined with age thing.

We've seen plenty of fighters get KOed and come back to have really good careers. But they all got KOed at a younger age. Bisping, GSP, Dillashaw, Sterling etc.

It tends to be guys that seem to have really good chins and don't get KOed until they are getting older and have taken too much damage that don't come back from. That first KO. Chuck being the prime example.

Finished as in KO'd, yes.
GSP was finished and started the greatest streak in the sport immediately after, but it was an armbar.
he was knocked out by Matt Serra too, but it did change GSP's fighting style. He became a wrestler.

Serra was never in GSP's league. It was a fluke like Randleman's Ko vs Cro Cop. And I'm sure there are more, I just don't feel like researching it at all rn. I think age has more to do with it than anything. A 22 year old Volk could make it back and be grea, unlike an older one we saw get koed 2 times in a row now. It's easy to say .. old champs eventually lose and never return to greatness. There's tons of those, all older with many miles on them. Being Koed also takes away from their invinciblity to other fighters, which is a big factor as well. GSP was never a ko artist. Always a point fighter, so I don't think a claim that Matt changed his style, just obviously had to be more cautious in 2nd fight. I also believe he took Matt lightly since he was a late replacement fighter in the 1st fight and had trained most of his camp f9r a9me9ne else entirely. I said I agree for the most part that brutal ko's end many fighters, but like I said it's older fighters so it can't be said of young guys. I would think many young guys have been koed, and move past to become champs or at least have very good win loss %. Olivera has been koed more than once and made it to be a champ. I could look thru many records and add more, but not going to bother. Point is same, yes older guys get brutally koed and lose the belt, hardly ever make it back to that level, but age is a key factor...as much as the ko is. I think a 5 round beat down without a finish would be just as detrimental if not more so.
You.ve been here since 2003 and make some good points but do you think that sometimes some fights are also rigged. I'll give you an example. Rich Franklin getting KO'd by Cung Le, in Macao., in 2012 when he was a -275 favorite, the two having dinner together a few nights before the fight and about a year and a half later, Rich, out of the blue becomes Vice President of the ONE organization, founded in Singapore in 2011. You think I'm some conspiracy fanatic or maybe I know how some things went down?

Getting KO'd as champ in your mid 30s is definitely a sign of things to come.

Back