I have rare shoulders.

Thanks for tha tlink, Monger. The doctor said it's like a grade one, but it's been almost three weeks since the injury and it's nowhere near 100%.

The only physical activities I've been doing are: a little bit of running and catching a rugby ball (rarely passing,) squatting (with the bar resting on my traps/upperback, which doesn't cause any pain) and domestic things.

I would like to be near 90% before June.

I've got a bone spur on my right one. My doc said he could remove it.

I've had a few cortisone shots. They sting for about an hour and then the pain is pretty much gone, for me. But it will only last about a month or so.

Since I've switched to pushing and pulling with a neutral grip, I haven't really had any shoulder pain.

The definition of insanity is "repeating the same sequence of events and expecting different results." If you lift a certain way and it hurts....change the fuckin parameters and try again. Otherwise, you're just beating your head against the proverbial wall.

FYI, the wall always wins.

I had a bone spur on my left shoulder. I had it scoped three years ago and have had no problems since.

Ugh. Honestly the AC is bothering me more right now. I think it's getting better but when I push on it with me other hand I can feel it move a little. It's spooky and too interesting to not touch...

...like a ghost vagina...

I've been up far too long with no sleep.

Richmond,

I've got a long history of shoulder issues and the one thing I can tell you for sure is that even with imaging like X-Rays and MRI's... the real problems are not always easy to diagnose. It's a very complicated joint and you can have a host of things going on in there, some may not even show up on the imaging.

Just to give you an example... I've had 3 surgeries on my shoulders. I've torn my labrum twice and my rotator cuff twice. The labrum tears were quite large. In fact, the last labrum tear I had was approx. 1/4 of the way around. Guess what? All of the MRI imaging that I'd had done shown NO tears and nothing wrong. The surgeries were done because there were no other options.

Now, your AC sprain "might" be more than the doc thinks. My last injury was done snowboarding... I took a nasty fall on my shoulder and got Osteolysis of the Distal Clavicle. You can read about it here...
The Physician and Sportsmedicine: Osteolysis of the Distal Clavicle

It's hard for doctors to diagnose and it will seem like an AC sprain to them. That's what I was diagnosed with until it ended up lasting for months. With an X-Ray, my surgeon was finally able to guess that it was osteolysis. The reason it took so long to diagnose is because it can literally take a few months for this to show up on the X-Ray. It takes 1-2 years for this to heal. I was lucky and my pain was gone in 10 months.

I'm not trying to scare you, dude. I'm just telling you that there could be a host of issues going on and you can't entirely rely on imaging. I consider my surgeon to be amazing but even he got my last diagnosis wrong. It happens.

One thing that you could probably really benefit from is getting a good PT and having them work with you on scapular stability, thoracic mobility, rotator cuff strength, and soft tissue work. Working on those things could keep you off the surgery table. I would lay off the heavy weights (especially pressing) until your shoulders feel good again.

Monger, thanks again for the help. Couple more questions.

How common are cases of what you described versus the classic AC shoulder separation?

Is heavy crackling, crumpling inside the shoulder symptomatic of scar tissue? And is that a problem in of itself?

It's been three weeks since my "AC" and I can still push on the acromion and feel it "moving" like theres a spring under it.

I went to the doctor for a "popping/clicking" in my right shoulder when I do certain movements awhile back. He said I had a slight AC joint separation (never said anythin' about a grade), and told me to get a re-hab movement from a PT at the uni gym. I did and worked it hard for awhile and after about a month, the clickin' went away. However, summer came and I didn't do the re/pre-hab movement for awhile, and it came back and hasn't really diminished. I dont have pain, just mostly an annoyance at this point, but if you find somethin' to fix it that works well, let me know, Rchmnd.

I never had that springy effect. Even when the pain was worst and it hurt like a bitch to just push lightly on top of the AC joint, it still felt solid.

The shoulder also seems to be MUCH worse in the morning or whenever I wake up. I'm guessing that's normal.

The reccommendation I'm getting for bandwork from the docs is 2 times a day, 2 sets per routine. I'm thinking of making that once per day, 4 sets per routine with additional repetitions, and every other day.

That's a type 4 acromion, which as the picture shows, has that wedge at the end and specifically the supraspinatus tendon is more likely to rub against it. The arthroscopic procedure to burr it off is a sucessful procedure in that it removes the cause of tendonitis and subsequent damage without putting you at any increased risk of injury in the future.

Physical therapy targeting the rotator cuff is the best thing you can do for it without resorting to surgery.

Rich you can take it once or twice a day. When my shoulders flared up I was taking it twice a day at 1/3-1/2 tspn. Yes take it with vitamin C. If your multi has it and you take it at the same time then that's enough, otherwise take 500-1000mg separately of Vit C.

You guys are a saving grace. Pretty much the only positive to sitting here unable to lift or run, just... eating junk food and getting fat.

Devils: Does cissus work fast? I always assumed it acted like Gluc/Chon/MSM, and everything that had to do with joints took a months use to feel. Do you use it on bad days, take it when things hurt, a la ibuprofen, or what?

Mur: Do you happen to know the recovery time for shaving off that wedge? If it's a scoped procedure it shouldn't be but so bad, yeah?

Do you happen to know the recovery time for shaving off that wedge? If it's a scoped procedure it shouldn't be but so bad, yeah?

I know its not TOO bad, I am trying to find information about it now for you. I was 90% sure thats what it was when I read it, I remember reading an article about it a good 7-8 years ago documenting the procedure and the side effects. Lemme see if I can find it.

EDIT - Your Orthopaedic Connection: Impingement of the Shoulder

There ya go.

Back