I had no idea Lawler basically staked Woodley’s MMA career

Epicness

Rent-paying tenant cat
@Black
Reaction score
Most interesting bit IMO of Tyron’s interview with Ariel on monday:

Whole interview is worth a watch but basically Tyron says about 10 yrs ago when he was first getting started, nobody was giving him a shot in the big leagues, then Strikeforce came to St. Louis headlines by Robbie/Jake Shields.

Tyron knew Robbie since theyre both from around the STL area and he says he asked him if he could put in a good word and Robbie did him one better, hooked him up with Scott Coker who gave him a 6 fight deal and Robbie gave him Javier Mendez’ number and Tyron flew out and trained at AKA for a bit.

...and almost a decade later Tyron repays him by KO’ing him cold for his UFC belt. Lol goddamn that is cold blooded
<36>

You don't think a black man deserves everything he worked for?

3ggZ.gif

cold asf if true, wonder if Tyron has reflected on this.

3ggZ.gif

He 100% has, almost every time hes on ariel’s show he talked about Robbie and Condit being his all time favorite fighters and guys he looked up to on the way to the top

3ggZ.gif

How could he not have reflected on this
He was the one telling the story and he told the story in the lead up to his fight against Robbie as well

Robbie and Carlos are like his favorite fighters ever he says it constantly

How could he not have reflected on this
He was the one telling the story and he told the story in the lead up to his fight against Robbie as well

Robbie and Carlos are like his favorite fighters ever he says it constantly

He 100% has, almost every time hes on ariel’s show he talked about Robbie and Condit being his all time favorite fighters and guys he looked up to on the way to the top
I mean the fact that he fucked up Robbies career, after Robbie kick started his. Should've clarified.

First hand look at Tyron's idea of "appreciation"

keac7ags2zc11.gif

I mean the fact that he fucked up Robbies career, after Robbie kick started his. Should've clarified.
I gotcha

Hes talked about that too though, with Din who also knows Robbie very well - about what a huge and emotional moment that fight was for him for that and other reasons

Most interesting bit IMO of Tyron’s interview with Ariel on monday:

Whole interview is worth a watch but basically Tyron says about 10 yrs ago when he was first getting started, nobody was giving him a shot in the big leagues, then Strikeforce came to St. Louis headlines by Robbie/Jake Shields.

Tyron knew Robbie since theyre both from around the STL area and he says he asked him if he could put in a good word and Robbie did him one better, hooked him up with Scott Coker who gave him a 6 fight deal and Robbie gave him Javier Mendez’ number and Tyron flew out and trained at AKA for a bit.

...and almost a decade later Tyron repays him by KO’ing him cold for his UFC belt. Lol goddamn that is cold blooded
<36>

Fun fact:He was supposed to be on the ultimate fighter season 9 just before that.
But didnt make the final cut.

He trained with Lawler and knew he had his number which is why he waited 18 months for his shot.

I gotcha

Hes talked about that too though, with Din who also knows Robbie very well - about what a huge and emotional moment that fight was for him for that and other reasons
No shit? First time I hear about it got an origin or clip? I'm guessing it's from their on and off podcast?

keac7ags2zc11.gif

Just part of the business. I doubt Robbie holds it against him.

Robbie was pretty pissed about the fight. They both knew what was coming.

No shit? First time I hear about it got an origin or clip? I'm guessing it's from their on and off podcast?
Yeah

They were doing it consistently a little after the championship win and I listened a bunch. He's always been very very respectful of Robbie. I'm surprised it hasnt come up in the marketing yet but his fight against Robbie (as well as his transition to roufussport) is part of why no one from ATT seems to care about Colby roasting him all the time. He acknowledged it.

Just part of the business. I doubt Robbie holds it against him.

I mean I get it, that's the fight game. Just seems wild, almost prophetic. I was just wondering if he ever reflected on it/talked about it publicly. I was more interested in hearing Tyron's thoughts on it, than wanting to hear him repent or some shit.

Yeah

They were doing it consistently a little after the championship win and I listened a bunch. He's always been very very respectful of Robbie. I'm surprised it hasnt come up in the marketing yet but his fight against Robbie (as well as his transition to roufussport) is part of why no one from ATT seems to care about Colby roasting him all the time. He acknowledged it.

No shit, might have to go back and give it a listen. I like podcasts a lot, feel like they give you way more insight into a person than any series of interviews ever could.

Yeah crazy the UFC hasn't found a way to monetize that yet. Knowing this only further let's you know just how hard the UFC dropped the ball by not booking Tyron x Colby next. There's so much fucking hype material.

Pretty great for Lawler helping a (then) up and coming fighter and pretty great for Woodley to share the story. What happened when they fought isn't indicative of any bad relation. He didn't go behind his back or anything shady, he just fought him when they were paired with each other. When you train/spar/fight it doesn't mean you HAVE to dislike the other guy to give it your best.

I mean I get it, that's the fight game. Just seems wild, almost prophetic. I was just wondering if he ever reflected on it/talked about it publicly. I was more interested in hearing Tyron's thoughts on it, than wanting to hear him repent or some shit.

No shit, might have to go back and give it a listen. I like podcasts a lot, feel like they give you way more insight into a person than any series of interviews ever could.

Yeah crazy the UFC hasn't found a way to monetize that yet. Knowing this only further let's you know just how hard the UFC dropped the ball by not booking Tyron x Colby next. There's so much fucking hype material.
If you can find them I reccomend them. I wasnt a big fan of Tyron outside of how butthurt he made people until I listened to a few of them. In interviews Woodley can take hard questions as criticism and he can get defensive and whiney very quickly, but with Din Din will openly critique things about him and Woodley will humbly accept or argue the criticism in a much more level manor. Makes him very likeable and he gives a lot of insight on different guys in the UFC that hes worked with, and Din will talk about ATT fighters hes training.

Its not always informative sometimes they're just shooting the shit, but I found them mostly an easy listen.

keac7ags2zc11.gif
Nah Robbie's chin had to go through wars with Hendricks, Rory and Condit. It was bound to crack sooner or later.

People get mad when fighters won’t fight then friends and people get mad when they knock out their friends. Can’t please everyone.

Back