I dislike DJ but i had him winning that fight

I think, given the vague scoring criteria, any score from 48 - 47 Cejudo to 50 - 45 DJ is justifiable.

DJ got robbed.

Not only did he outstruck Cejudo but Cejudo’s 3 takedowns led to absolutely nothing. And DJ landed a takedown of his own so no idea why those 3 takedowns were so meaningful to the judges.

Joke decision.

Fuck that. DJ was so passive in there.

If Cejudo was rolling on his ankle like that in front of Dillashaw the ref would have needed to save his life.

Dude is an athlete and competitor, but not a fighter.

cejudo was stalking the mouse the entire fight. imo you should never win a decision if you back peddle the entire fight. Not sure why might mouse was content with letting henry walk him down all night. around the third round is when ireally started to take notice at how much he was backing away. i guess now we know its because he had the borken foot.

I watched the fight after knowing the result and after knowing there was controversy (I usually watch live, and a rewatch, but I had tickets to Theo Von). I was not rooting for anybody in particular. I was utterly shocked to see what Cejudos “winning” performance looked like. I MAYBE gave him two rounds.

it's tough when the champion doesn't win the championship rounds. cejudo landed more strikes and had a takedown in both the 4th and 5th rounds. he controlled the championship rounds over a long time champion. that's what really cost mighty mouse the fight. cejudo was able to steal one round out of the first 3 on two judges score cards, but he seemed to clearly win rounds 4 and 5.

mighty mouse landed a ton of kicks, but not much else. cejudo showed a more well-rounded game over one of the more well-rounded fighters ever. 9 of the 14 media members present that night scored the fight for cejudo.

mighty mouse has been getting finishes lately, but played the point system and at no time did he sellout and put it in 2nd gear and go for it. he paid the price. all he needed to do was win one of the last two rounds. he couldn't accomplish that against someone who has never gone a full five rounds.

Nonsense. Pure Manlet talk.

Cejudo CLEARLY won rounds 2,4, and 5

DJ got PLAYED at his own game... Decision spamming till he turns it up at the end of a fight. Cejudo fought through a rolled ankle in the first, picked key moments when to rack up points on Mouse, and went after it late in the fight.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

dj is very very lucky he didn't fight TJ....after watching last night, it became very obvious that tj is better than dj literally everywhere...and he hits much harder....I'd like to see tj ko henry now...which he would...

I watched the fight after knowing the result and after knowing there was controversy (I usually watch live, and a rewatch, but I had tickets to Theo Von). I was not rooting for anybody in particular. I was utterly shocked to see what Cejudos “winning” performance looked like. I MAYBE gave him two rounds.

I'm not sure who I really thought won...but, I knew the judges were going to give henry the win..I knew those takedowns were going to be counted high...and henry was the aggressor through out. but neither fighter really landed all that much...dj landed so good leg kicks but not really much else...

What's the point of kicks that effect mobility if you don't capitalize on the deficit?

It's the same argument.

What's the point of a takedown if you don't strike or attempt submissions?

There's a reason it was a split decision, it's because it was hard to call. I could see either fighter winning and wouldn't call foul.

Because the kicks are a means to an end to set up either a knock out or wear a guy down to set up other fight ending sequences. Plus, kicks show you are the aggressor. You are risking a take down or counter strike while throwing them.

Taking a guy down and holding him is just that. If you aren't working for a submission or throwing strikes trying to end the fight, you aren't an aggressor. If you aren't an aggressor, you aren't trying to end the fight. If you throw strikes or try for a sub, you risk losing control, so, yea. Just holding some guy down and throwing a token strike here and there is not fighting or trying to work towards ending the fight.

Just another example of why they need to give out 10-10 rounds when a round is a toss-up. Enough of this arbitrarily choosing a winner of a close round bullshit.

I thought DJ won, but at worse it should have been a draw.

I also thought Cejudo only got two rounds (2 and 5), but I can see how the judges would give him round 4 also, even though DJ was clearly winning that round before the takedown and Cejudo really did nothing with that takedown except lay on DJ. But it's pretty common to win a round if you lay on top of your opponent for a long period, so I wasn't surprised.

Even round 5 was kinda close, but I still scored it for Cejudo, mainly because I was really disappointed with DJs output, not because Cejudo did anything that impressive either.

It is scary that we have to use a disclaimer like " I dislike ...." but. We don't even know who these judges are too. Ask Dennis Bermudez how much split decisions have cost him

What's the point of kicks that effect mobility if you don't capitalize on the deficit?

It's the same argument.

What's the point of a takedown if you don't strike or attempt submissions?

There's a reason it was a split decision, it's because it was hard to call. I could see either fighter winning and wouldn't call foul.

I'm not sure this parallel holds. Kicks can indeed impair mobility and open up possibilities for further offence but they also do damage and that is an end in itself. Lying on your opponent does not. At best, it counts as exercising "control," although judges seem to appreciate that more than we viewers.

I thought DJ won. And if he would have been more willing to fight TJ then UFC would have given it to him.

I had DJ winning. But I'm selfishly glad the robbery happened.

Striking was pretty much even in the three rounds that cejudo won, but he had the aggression and TDs. Clear win for Cejudo.

these threads are so annoying. TS and everyone after need to stop talking about "the fight" and start breaking it down round by round.

95% of us agree that DJ lost round 4, right? how many agree that he lost round 5? 70%?

and about half think he lost round 2.

don't bitch about "the fight". explain to us in detail why he didn't lose round 2 or round 5.

and then go back and take remedial sherdog 97, because you're fucking failing sherdog 101.
~~~
PS like many, i too think takedowns get overvalued. others agree with me:

MMA judges overvaluing takedowns has been a problem as long as I’ve been watching the sport. Cejudo did earn the takedowns, but he did little to advance and also did little damage once he had the position. Should a single takedown outweigh everything Johnson was doing on his feet? I don’t think so, but the decision wasn’t close to “robbery” status.​

i wasn't surprised he won rounds 2,4, and 5. round 2 was close by any measure. if you overvalue takedowns, DJ lost. if you don't, DJ won. and overvaluing takedowns has been a problem as long as I’ve been watching the sport.

Last edited:
DJ got robbed.

Not only did he outstruck Cejudo but Cejudo’s 3 takedowns led to absolutely nothing. And DJ landed a takedown of his own so no idea why those 3 takedowns were so meaningful to the judges.

Joke decision.

I agree. I had DJ winning 1,3,5 at the very least, and I had him winning round 4 too. I don't think takedowns should count AT ALL on scorecards unless damage or serious submumisson attempts are scored.

I was frustrated at the lack of urgency from DJ. I was just waiting for something huge and random to put his signature on the fight to seal it up and take another victory but he didn't do anything towards the end. He started to back up also which didn't help any. Super close fight which he could've won but he didnt do himself any favors in the championship rounds.

Everyone says look at the numbers. They dont tell everything. Cejudo landed the bigger shots all night save for the first and a few body kicks sprinkled in throughout. He was also backpedaling 80% of the fight. I dont see how anyone scores that in favor of DJ.

I agree. I had DJ winning 1,3,5 at the very least, and I had him winning round 4 too. I don't think takedowns should count AT ALL on scorecards unless damage or serious submumisson attempts are scored.
so your angst is not with the outcome of this specific fight so much as with with the rules. specifically, how the judging rules are taught to, and interpreted by, the judges.

you get that not so subtle difference, right?

but hey, points for breaking it down by rounds. that makes your post superior to most in this thread :) cheers.

Back