I´m from Argentina. Ask me anything

What do the people of Argentina think of American people today?

I remember being told in the past that American's were poorly thought of due to backing the UK during the Falkland war.

That is sort of incorrect- Reagan tried to stop Thatcher going to war and then tried to suggest the UK share the islands. Thatcher told Reagan "get fucked ya daft yank twat", and the rest is history.

Is not shitting in the streets considered a luxury?

@SalvadorAllende i spent some time in buenas aires, ushuaia and a few other places.

The most beautiful girl I seen in my entire life as in Bahia Blanca...blonde hair.....spent a few hours drinking with her and her friend then casually let her walk out without asking for her number- sad times haha

Wife works with a lot of kids in accounting from Buenos Aires and they are so chill like, super friendly but also super relaxed about getting shit done on time. I can appreciate that, nobody wants to deal with American work ethics (beacuse why would they), so I guess my question is, is it the general rule? Are people just totally chill across all Argentina? Can I move? Do I need knives?
You can find extremes here.
People is either lazy or workaholic.
For example, one of my sisters lives in Montpellier (France) and says they dont work there. She is manager in a hotel. Told me the other day that she met an argentinian guy and she hired him. She was happy because they guy actually worked.
But also met a girl from Paris that told me that people in Montpellier is incredible lazy.

But we are chill as fuck. We like to hang out, no plans needed.. you just call a friend and if he does not have anything to do you can go to their place.
Most people that move to other countries (specially Europe) really struggle with that.

For example, this morning a friend sent a text to a group (of 3) telling us "hey, we haven been together in a while".. 5 minutes later we organized an Asado (argentinian barbecue) in his brothers house for tonight. I will be arriving at like 22:30hs, and the 3rd one cant go but its cool.

You can move here.. no problem. No need for knives, you can get them here.

Is not shitting in the streets considered a luxury?
No, its called a norm. People dont shit in the street here. But dogs do, and a lot of owners dont pick it up.

For example, one of my sisters lives in Montpellier (France) and says they dont work there. She is manager in a hotel. Told me the other day that she met an argentinian guy and she hired him. She was happy because they guy actually worked.
But also met a girl from Paris that told me that people in Montpellier is incredible lazy.

But we are chill as fuck. We like to hang out, no plans needed.. you just call a friend and if he does not have anything to do you can go to their place.
Most people that move to other countries (specially Europe) really struggle with that.

For example, this morning a friend sent a text to a group (of 3) telling us "hey, we haven been together in a while".. 5 minutes later we organized an Asado (argentinian barbecue) in his brothers house for tonight. I will be arriving at like 22:30hs, and the 3rd one cant go but its cool.

No, its called a norm. People dont shit in the street here. But dogs do, and a lot of owners dont pick it up.

You guys sound a lot like us, Serbs. Chill as fuck and easy to make plans with. In the US, that alone has been my biggest hurdle to overcome, getting used to people - at least in the tri-state where I've lived last 15 years - having to be booked weeks in advance. And being flaky as ABSOLUTE FUCK. Like cancelling-an-hour-before-meeting flaky, for no real reasons other then ugh I'm lazy. Granted, my situation is made more complicated by most of my real friends being all over the place (states away), but it still holds that people here are more difficult to make plans with. Back home, call someone up, they're free, boom, drinks/eat out/coffee, doesn't matter. Sorted on the day of, no need to navigate an elaborate network of "obligations" and "hurdles". People just plain want to hang out more.

We have impromptu asados here from time to time.

Great stuff, indeed.

It's too bad Argentina didn't have the gumption to annex Chile, you guys missed your shot at bi-coast dominance.

It's too bad Argentina didn't have the gumption to annex Chile, you guys missed your shot at bi-coast dominance.
It would be great for TEG!
@SalvadorAllende i spent some time in buenas aires, ushuaia and a few other places.

The most beautiful girl I seen in my entire life as in Bahia Blanca...blonde hair.....spent a few hours drinking with her and her friend then casually let her walk out without asking for her number- sad times haha
Good experience tho!!

Are you a Boca fan?

I posted about women a while ago. Look it up and if you want more info I can expand. And yes.. a lot of them are hot!
I read your post. Yeah, every time I meet an Argentine woman it rekindles my fantasy of moving to Argentina or finding an Argentine wife. I don't know about all that but I at least want a romance with one for a while.

My former neighbor from Argentina told me they are incredibly snooty and stuck up but from my brief experiences they are extremely confident and nonchalant with a pretty firm handle on power but in relaxed feminine sort of way.

I am not sure what to ask but if you can just tell me more about them I would appreciate it because I want to be ready the next time I have the opportunity.

There are likely cultural differences that you might take for granted that don't apply elsewhere.

I guess what do they like and expect as far as tempo of life and from their relationships and encounters. What do they consider a good time? What are things I should familiarize myself with to be able to relate to them better and so on.

Last edited:
I have an Argentinian co-worker - chillest dude there is. Told me there are tons of hot girls there.

What do the people of Argentina think of American people today?

I remember being told in the past that American's were poorly thought of due to backing the UK during the Falkland war.

Is football still the most important thing in Argentina or is there something else people will lose their mind over ?

Are you due for another bankruptcy or is economy improving ?

Whats the shittiest part of living in Argentina ?

Do most people travel to other countries when on vacation ? Is it ok to visit Brasil on vacation ? :D

What are women like - open or closed to strangers ?

Being a wine producing country, Is wine integrated in the culture like France/Italy/Spain?

I’m going to answer these myself, as an American that works in Argentina from time to time.

I’ve spent the most time In Neuquen, so my answers might vary, if you asked someone who spent more time in other regions.

I was always for the most part treated with open arms, by locals. Both at work and in the General public

Like everywhere there are hot girls and pigs, you can find extremes in all parts of the world.

The thing that took the most getting used to is how late they eat Dinner there for the most part.

A lot of restaurants don’t even open till 9pm, and it’s normal for families to be out eating at 11:30-12:00pm on week nights.

Great steaks, good wine and friendly people and women.

Argentina is one of the places I don’t mind going back too, some other parts of the world not so much.

The dialect took me some time to get used too, spending more time in other Latin American countries their version of Spanish took some getting used too.

For example , a double LL in most places is a “yo” sound so for chicken, “pollo” is pronounced “poy yo” roughly, but in Argentina it’s a “sho” sound.

So it’s “po-sho” and it took me a while to figure it out.

Also apparently Argentinian Spanish is closer to Italian than say Mexican Spanish.

A co-worker from Neuquen was in Italy with me for a couple months, he was basically fluent in a few days, it took me about two weeks to get the ropes without sounding like an idiot.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, as an American that works there from time to time over the years.

Some years I go 3-4 times a year, and sometimes a year or two between visits, can’t wait to go back.

How does it feel knowing that the greatest soccer player of all time, Pele, was nearly born in your country?

I genuinely mean no disrespect with this question - do you and your family and friends genuinely care about who “owns” the Falklands/Malvinas, or is it just a tool used by your politicians to distract from domestic political issues?

Are you a Boca fan?
Nope.

I read your post. Yeah, every time I meet an Argentine woman it rekindles my fantasy of moving to Argentina or finding an Argentine wife. I don't know about all that but I at least want a romance with one for a while.

My former neighbor from Argentina told me they are incredibly snooty and stuck up but from my brief experiences they are extremely confident and nonchalant with a pretty firm handle on power but in relaxed feminine sort of way.

I am not sure what to ask but if you can just tell me more about them I would appreciate it because I want to be ready the next time I have the opportunity.

There are likely cultural differences that you might take for granted that don't apply elsewhere.

I guess what do they like and expect as far as tempo of life and from their relationships and encounters. What do they consider a good time? What are things I should familiarize myself with to be able to relate to them better and so on.
It depends. Just be chill and dont brag. If you are not an asshole you will fit right.
They just want to have a good talk, a good time, laugh, good vibes.. that is all. Being from another country helps A LOT.
Most of women here dont like overprotective men. As you said they are confident so they demand respect.
Also you should not find yourself paying for everything if you find a good one. They are independent and pay for their own shit.
You still have terrible girls here lol.. but should be able to find one.

How does it feel knowing that the greatest soccer player of all time, Pele, was nearly born in your country?
Just like when you are at Sherdog and a staff member attemps a rather lame troll post. Not funny, not care.

I spent a week in Mendoza during wine harvest festival. Beautiful place and people.
Mendoza is nice!!

I’m going to answer these myself, as an American that works in Argentina from time to time.

I’ve spent the most time In Neuquen, so my answers might vary, if you asked someone who spent more time in other regions.

I was always for the most part treated with open arms, by locals. Both at work and in the General public

Like everywhere there are hot girls and pigs, you can find extremes in all parts of the world.

The thing that took the most getting used to is how late they eat Dinner there for the most part.

A lot of restaurants don’t even open till 9pm, and it’s normal for families to be out eating at 11:30-12:00pm on week nights.

Great steaks, good wine and friendly people and women.

Argentina is one of the places I don’t mind going back too, some other parts of the world not so much.

The dialect took me some time to get used too, spending more time in other Latin American countries their version of Spanish took some getting used too.

For example , a double LL in most places is a “yo” sound so for chicken, “pollo” is pronounced “poy yo” roughly, but in Argentina it’s a “sho” sound.

So it’s “po-sho” and it took me a while to figure it out.

Also apparently Argentinian Spanish is closer to Italian than say Mexican Spanish.

A co-worker from Neuquen was in Italy with me for a couple months, he was basically fluent in a few days, it took me about two weeks to get the ropes without sounding like an idiot.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, as an American that works there from time to time over the years.

Some years I go 3-4 times a year, and sometimes a year or two between visits, can’t wait to go back.
Cool story bro. My youngest sister is moving to Neuquen.. Chosmalal.. a small town in the middle of nowhere.
Nice to see you have a good time in here.

I genuinely mean no disrespect with this question - do you and your family and friends genuinely care about who “owns” the Falklands/Malvinas, or is it just a tool used by your politicians to distract from domestic political issues?
Not feeling the disrespect. Is a legit question.

My parents lived through the "war" so yes, they care. Not to the point to hate the english people (they dont) but its an open wound. In fact... our government at the time (a dictatorship) gets the most hate about it because of the way the handled the conflict.

Me and my sisters dont care much. Nobody gets distracted by it anymore.. as someone said above we have worse problems every day to be worried about.

Not feeling the disrespect. Is a legit question.

My parents lived through the "war" so yes, they care. Not to the point to hate the english people (they dont) but its an open wound. In fact... our government at the time (a dictatorship) gets the most hate about it because of the way the handled the conflict.

Me and my sisters dont care much. Nobody gets distracted by it anymore.. as someone said above we have worse problems every day to be worried about.

Appreciate your response, very enlightening. Periodically, it’s mentioned in the UK press, that Argentinian politicians (and left-message actors) are “demanding” their return. It was the first armed conflict I can remember and was pretty depressing to observe. No-one “won” that war. Just lots of unnecessary death and waste.

On a brighter note, I sincerely hope your nation will prosper as it deserves. I’ve nothing but respect for Argentinian culture, and if circumstances were different, it would seem to be a place I’d consider moving to.

It is. Usually you drink carton wine or cheap beer when when you are like 15. At 18 you are drinking shitty vodka and shit. By the time you are like 27 you start driking artisan beer. 30+? Wine. Specially for the "asado" (barbacue).

My friend tells me they only drink fernet with coke down there.

Was he lying or was that a local thing?

Back