How's the job market where you're at? Anyone looking for a job?

I would slap someone if they quit their job without having one already in the bag. I think at one point, my city was placed behind Detroit for economic prosperity. Fucking Detroit!

Keep your jobs, because there isn't any others for ya.
This.

I hate my job but I'd rather put up with people and be pissed off a few times a day instead of being at home with no money coming in. Where I'm at now its more about who your friends with and all, I've missed out on jobs that are perfect or that I've done before while some guy fresh out of jail gets it.

So-Cal seems to be garbage. I sent out my resume to like 45 different companies over the last 3-4 months as I approached my graduation. Never even got a call back.

Sent my resume to a firm in North California, got called almost immediately (plus a friend referred me). Got a pretty solid offer from them so I'm taking it. I've heard North California is doing a lot better than South California and it makes sense. Mountain View, Palo Alto, Silicon Valley, liberalism (which means adopted new ideologies like recycled water, sustainable development, hybrids, electric cars) versus a very fiscal conservative San Diego and greater Los Angeles county.

Depends on the degree. If you're an engineer, computer science, or a nurse, you're golden. If you're a psychology major, the job search is going to be tough for you. What I wish I understood at that age was that just because I'm good at something and I like it doesn't mean that it is in demand. Anyone with a liberal arts degree better go get a graduate degree if they want to work within that field.

excellent points.

I doubt you'll ever see Texas get to LA or SF prices

Most likely not, but I believe one of Cali's biggest issues is over speculation in the housing market. Although it may not be as big of an issue, it could be one which could decrease the popularity of TX.

As for the bay area we have jobs out there, but employers can still be very picky. I've been looking and I've had a lot of trouble. I have a degree in Finance which usually has decent prospects, but I've been working in a niche position for awhile and I've had a lot of trouble convincing an employer to provide any kind of training.

brotally.

my niece graduated from GWU a while back & couldn't land anything, so I got her a yob over here. sad to say but experience counts, & even more, it's who you know.

definitely agreed about who you know. i'd even go as far as saying that being able to network is just as important as your degree. many companies will train you, so getting in the door is really the biggest obstacle to overcome. and many jobs are taken before they're even advertised in the market.

Careful, the cali posters and us Texans tend to fight a lot on here :wink:

as a california-born resident, i have to say that i thoroughly enjoyed by time in texas a few years back. when i came back and told my california brethren, they didn't believe me. wish i could hate, but i can't. texas kills it with their food and chicks. top-notch on both fronts.

So-Cal seems to be garbage. I sent out my resume to like 45 different companies over the last 3-4 months as I approached my graduation. Never even got a call back.

Sent my resume to a firm in North California, got called almost immediately (plus a friend referred me). Got a pretty solid offer from them so I'm taking it. I've heard North California is doing a lot better than South California and it makes sense. Mountain View, Palo Alto, Silicon Valley, liberalism (which means adopted new ideologies like recycled water, sustainable development, hybrids, electric cars) versus a very fiscal conservative San Diego and greater Los Angeles county.

i hope your salary is good, because the peninsula is more expensive than other areas of the bay area, like the east bay. though you can always commute to work. traffic isn't nearly as bad as it is in socal.

fucking terrible, I think the unemployment rate is close to 14% where I'm at and the best job I could find is a shitty cell phone sales job part time.

I live in probably the best market for jobs in Canada. If you can't get a job, there's something wrong with you. The economy here is booming and there's a shortage of workers/labour.

here in toronto, seems like there are lots of jobs .. i am sure there are some fields that are tight .. but it seems most people are working

I live in probably the best market for jobs in Canada. If you can't get a job, there's something wrong with you. The economy here is booming and there's a shortage of workers/labour.

calgary?

Just graduated and looking for something in the electrical engineering/physics field. Just started sending out resumes and applications, but Im applying all over the country, and foreign countries as well. Havent had any responses yet.

fucking terrible, I think the unemployment rate is close to 14% where I'm at and the best job I could find is a shitty cell phone sales job part time.

Are you tied down with responsibilities like family,etc.?
Can you relocate to a place with better job prospects?
If I was single and had a viable skill, I would hit the road.

It's pretty insane in the bay area right now. Salaries are going through the roof because so many companies are starving for talent. I've been getting head hunters calling me regularly for the past several months and the salaries are higher than I've seen them.

In my company I'm grappling with hiring anyone because they are getting ridiculous offers from competitors that I don't want to match because I don't want to have to lay them off when the market turns to replace them with cheaper labor. Our existing employees are parlaying other job offers to get us to match as well so the pressure is getting intense.

All that said don't move here because despite the job market you won't be able to find a place to live!

Pretty bad for those who are not creative. Even waiting tables at the biggest shit hole B health rating restaurant or cleaning toilets they ask for 3+ years experience. Glad I'm not in the market.

All that said don't move here because despite the job market you won't be able to find a place to live!

this is the harsh reality. the last time i put one of my rooms for rent in s.f., i got around forty emails in the first day. it is insane.

Hawaii is doing good now, low unemployment, can't speak for other industries, but there has been a lot of construction going on recently.

That being said, I just got my Masters in Civil Engineering 2 weeks ago and I'm planning to move to the west side of the mainland US early next year (planning it out now). Looking at Washington State, Oregon, or Arizona. Anyone know how the job market is in those states?

this is the harsh reality. the last time i put one of my rooms for rent in s.f., i got around forty emails in the first day. it is insane.

It's getting so bad you have to really start fearing the Ellis act even if you already have a place and the property qualifies. The fact that the inventory is all but dried up, properties are going OVER ask and there are so many cash offers it's just getting crazy and developers have every incentive to buy virtually any property they can get their hands on.

I was in the market last July to rent and I had to pro-rate 2 months worth of rent and even then I only got my place because I edged out the other two candidates due to my credit score. And that was last year before this craziness. Now we've got people who tried to buy with a mortgage that got outbid by a cash offer and they are willing to drop serious cash to rent until they can buy. Shits getting real.

Back