How's the job market where you're at? Anyone looking for a job?

Cupertino is crazy expensive. You can't find a crapshack house for under a million dollars. Know what kind of income it takes to afford that kind of a mortgage comfortably with a $200k down payment? Probably $2-300k/yr.

No offense, but $40k in any part of the bay area except dangerous ghettos is barely above the poverty line, and possibly under. Did you say you're renting a room? Try renting a house or even a 3bdrm apt in a safe area. Or supporting a family on that-- no way, you wouldn't even be able to cover rent!

Kudos that you are working, but it is no way to live compared to almost anywhere else in the country.

I'm not living there for the rest of my life. I'm going to earn my salary history, year or two of experience, pay off my loans, buy my Subaru cash and GTFO with $15,000 in the bank to a cheaper part of California with my P.E. in tow.

Plus I'm not renting or buying my own place. I'm gonna stay at a friends place for cheaper rent until I get a place.

My friend has a studio for $1,100 and everyone says it's not in a bad hood. Remember I'm not a married dude with kids. I'm a college grad. I don't need a two bedroom house with a garage and a dog yet. Working my way up.

Where I'm at the entire economy is skyrocketing. More jobs than workers. Kids are coming out of high school with no experience and getting jobs in the oilfield or potash mines starting out at 25+ an hour

When I am in Manhattan, I see all these suits walking around during 9-5 when I think they should be in the office. I cannot tell if they are coming and going from lunch, business meeting, or a job interview.

I live in Vegas and I agree it's horrible

Where I'm at the entire economy is skyrocketing. More jobs than workers. Kids are coming out of high school with no experience and getting jobs in the oilfield or potash mines starting out at 25+ an hour

I knew New Mexico was going to boom. If I had money, I would have bought up some real estate down there years ago. It is a seriously underrated state. It is huge, low population, lots of mineral resources, and I hear it is absolutely stunning in the scenery department.

Im retired at 32, never have to work again. Im glad too, some of the shit thats out there is sad....

It's getting so bad you have to really start fearing the Ellis act even if you already have a place and the property qualifies. The fact that the inventory is all but dried up, properties are going OVER ask and there are so many cash offers it's just getting crazy and developers have every incentive to buy virtually any property they can get their hands on.

I was in the market last July to rent and I had to pro-rate 2 months worth of rent and even then I only got my place because I edged out the other two candidates due to my credit score. And that was last year before this craziness. Now we've got people who tried to buy with a mortgage that got outbid by a cash offer and they are willing to drop serious cash to rent until they can buy. Shits getting real.

and there's no end in sight. i see old buildings getting torn down left and right for condos. it's no surprise that berkeley and oakland are gentrifying for the people that can't find places in sf to live in.

What's going on in SF? Silicon Valley boom again?

google, is what is going on in sf.

the google people work in mountain view, and live in sf. they overbid on places, and raise the property value of apartments. i've been in my place for eight years now, and i know for a fact that the rent in the other apartments in my building went up at least a thousand bucks, if not more. it's not just google of course, but high tech folks have the money, and that's what matters.

on the plus side, they clean up the areas they occupy. new restaurants, cafe's, parks, etc. it creates a higher standard of living.

60k in much of the SF bay area is barely subsistence living, if you can even find a job. There may be a business boom, but it is not a free for all. If you don't already have experience in the exact job you are applying for, or know someone on the inside, good fucking luck. (unless you're a software engineer)

60k is plenty, if you're only supporting yourself. if you have a family, that's a whole different story...

I'm talking about South Bay, San Jose, Cupertino, those areas. Those areas aren't bad and they're still somewhat close to the important parts of North California. There's also a lot of work in engineering in Sacramento.

And I've calculated that I'm taking home $40,000 after both taxes and rent in a studio. It's not exactly a GREAT living condition but for my first job out of college? $40k take home with rent, bills, loans paid and car payment taken care of is pretty good money.

Obviously I'm going to ask my boss for a promotion after a year.

if i didn't live in the city, i'd gladly live in the south bay. preferably the peninsula like around menlo park, or even further south like around the cupertino area, as you mentioned. but then it's expensive as shit around there too, since apple has taken over that area.

and there's no end in sight. i see old buildings getting torn down left and right for condos. it's no surprise that berkeley and oakland are gentrifying for the people that can't find places in sf to live in.

Yeah I think they are ripping down the goodwill on market and the FLAX art store on upper market just got forced out 3 weeks ago to build 160 condos. The developers are submitting proposals faster than the planning committees can process them and if this market holds they are going to make a killing.

I'm an executive for a custom home builder so it's good for me professionally but, man, I'd love to get in on the development side of things. They must be in scrooge mcduck mode swimming in cash right now.

You wonder how this can be sustained then you read things like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/in-and-out-employee-pay-2013-2

Yeah I think they are ripping down the goodwill on market and the FLAX art store on upper market just got forced out 3 weeks ago to build 160 condos. The developers are submitting proposals faster than the planning committees can process them and if this market holds they are going to make a killing.

I'm an executive for a custom home builder so it's good for me professionally but, man, I'd love to get in on the development side of things. They must be in scrooge mcduck mode swimming in cash right now.

You wonder how this can be sustained then you read things like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/in-and-out-employee-pay-2013-2

man, it's crazy that you can make that much at in-and-out.

I took a basic oil burner repair class that lasted two months and I've already been offered a job at 21/hr and I'm not even fully certified yet.

I live in NY.

Completely depressing.
Never worked in my home of Wales. Since university, ive lived and worked in northern England. The jobs I did there, pay around

I agree with the first part but not the second. Getting a graduate degree as a solution for no job is a bad idea. Employers want experience not more letters after your name. Plus the student is just incurring more debt.

Nashville has a strong job market and even better if you have sell-able skills. You have no pulse if you can't get a job here. Huge Healthcare and IT market, Entertainment industry, etc.

Best Big Cities for Jobs
Nashville #6
Best Cities for Recent College Graduates
Nashville #14
http://www.nashvillechamber.com/

It really depends. I know guys who have gotten great jobs working in the intelligence field with no real-world experience. However, their Masters Degree in something related to Political Science was enough to get them in the door. It's all based on the field.

I agree with the first part but not the second. Getting a graduate degree as a solution for no job is a bad idea. Employers want experience not more letters after your name. Plus the student is just incurring more debt.

Nashville has a strong job market and even better if you have sell-able skills. You have no pulse if you can't get a job here. Huge Healthcare and IT market, Entertainment industry, etc.

Best Big Cities for Jobs
Nashville #6
Best Cities for Recent College Graduates
Nashville #14
http://www.nashvillechamber.com/

Well his example was Psychology which is pretty much useless unless you have a graduate degree.

North Dakota is booming. We have a 2.7% unemployment, but here unemployed people should be labeled as worthless lazy fucks. There's tons of jobs available.

North Dakota is booming. We have a 2.7% unemployment, but here unemployed people should be labeled as worthless lazy fucks. There's tons of jobs available.

Are you seeing a massive influx of people from other States?
I had at least 5 friends talk about moving there because of all the oil related jobs up there,that apparently pay very well.

The Montreal job market slowed down this past winter and is allegedly picking up but at a snail's pace.

Having a separatist government (who was recently ousted, thank god) doesn't exactly help stimulate the economy and foreign investment despite what members of the separatist movement will say.

That being said, I am looking for a job right now. If I did manual work I wouldn't have trouble but I'm looking for a summer job so I can start my masters next year and it isn't going too well for me on that front. Had a couple of interviews but nothing yet. Pretty depressing to be honest. I used to never have trouble finding work.

I'm a software developer in London. The market is AWFUL for grads but fantastic as long as you've got just a few years of experience.

I've gone from fighting for $35k to getting multiple offers in excess of $60k in two years. It's crazy, but the fact is that programmers without any experience are a total liability.

Back