How's the job market where you're at? Anyone looking for a job?

I feel things here in Southern California are picking up, especially in LA. The only issue is being able to make enough money to afford to live within commuting distance.

I live in the DC metro area and it is terrible. We live and die on what the Government does, and they're just not buying like they used to.
The new jobs people are being hired for pay less, require more hours, and don't have a career path.

The only jobs that seems to be hiring are DHS/snitches, and sales people/account managers to help land non-existing contracts.

Everyone i know is underemployed and hate their job.
I am a recruiter and 95% of the 100's of people i place since 2009 had to take a pay cut. As opposed to pre-2009 when 95% of the people i placed received pay increases.
Jobs stay open for 6-12months, often much longer, with no urgency at all to fill them. If a job has been open for that long in a employer driven market, one has to ask if they employer has any intention of filling it.

Also. the cost of living is way too high considering the job market has been drying up

Last edited:
It's getting so bad you have to really start fearing the Ellis act even if you already have a place and the property qualifies. The fact that the inventory is all but dried up, properties are going OVER ask and there are so many cash offers it's just getting crazy and developers have every incentive to buy virtually any property they can get their hands on.

I was in the market last July to rent and I had to pro-rate 2 months worth of rent and even then I only got my place because I edged out the other two candidates due to my credit score. And that was last year before this craziness. Now we've got people who tried to buy with a mortgage that got outbid by a cash offer and they are willing to drop serious cash to rent until they can buy. Shits getting real.

What's going on in SF? Silicon Valley boom again?

Construction boom, civil engineering boom, software boom, electrical components boom, startup boom, manufacturing boom, biotech boom, booming boom?

Pick a science field and call a headhunter. A bachelor's degree from a public university in a science field, or an associate's of science and two years of experience? You could walk into 40k easily, maybe 50k. Engineering? You're looking at 60k, at minimum. Software engineering? Same as engineering.

I got hired in process engineering. I'm renting a studio in a separate floor of a house in a very nice area of Nor Cal for $800 a month. So it's definitely expensive but you're guaranteed work and hours.

I live in probably the best market for jobs in Canada. If you can't get a job, there's something wrong with you. The economy here is booming and there's a shortage of workers/labour.

Do you know anything about the psych field in Canada?

Construction boom, civil engineering boom, software boom, electrical components boom, startup boom, manufacturing boom, biotech boom, booming boom?

Pick a science field and call a headhunter. A bachelor's degree from a public university in a science field, or an associate's of science and two years of experience? You could walk into 40k easily, maybe 50k. Engineering? You're looking at 60k, at minimum. Software engineering? Same as engineering.

I got hired in process engineering. I'm renting a studio in a separate floor of a house in a very nice area of Nor Cal for $800 a month. So it's definitely expensive but you're guaranteed work and hours.

60k in much of the SF bay area is barely subsistence living, if you can even find a job. There may be a business boom, but it is not a free for all. If you don't already have experience in the exact job you are applying for, or know someone on the inside, good fucking luck. (unless you're a software engineer)

It's rough. There are many many more qualified people than jobs available in STEM fields--

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378334/what-stem-shortage-steven-camarota

For those here that are pre-college: think long and hard about the decision to go. You may finish with a pile of debt and the same job prospects you already have.

I can definitely see and believe in this. Most of gen X, Y, and I am pretty sure Z, went to college after their suburban high schools. And when they were in high school, lots of them were nerds, dweebs, and dorks. So when they go to college, they studied STEM. Heck, I even studied STEM.

Plus you have to compete with all the international students and STEM guys from overseas.

60k in much of the SF bay area is barely subsistence living, if you can even find a job. There may be a business boom, but it is not a free for all. If you don't already have experience in the exact job you are applying for, or know someone on the inside, good fucking luck. (unless you're a software engineer)

I'm talking about South Bay, San Jose, Cupertino, those areas. Those areas aren't bad and they're still somewhat close to the important parts of North California. There's also a lot of work in engineering in Sacramento.

And I've calculated that I'm taking home $40,000 after both taxes and rent in a studio. It's not exactly a GREAT living condition but for my first job out of college? $40k take home with rent, bills, loans paid and car payment taken care of is pretty good money.

Obviously I'm going to ask my boss for a promotion after a year.

It's rough. There are many many more qualified people than jobs available in STEM fields--

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378334/what-stem-shortage-steven-camarota

For those here that are pre-college: think long and hard about the decision to go. You may finish with a pile of debt and the same job prospects you already have.

KlIj5Hj.jpg

I'm talking about South Bay, San Jose, Cupertino, those areas. Those areas aren't bad and they're still somewhat close to the important parts of North California. There's also a lot of work in engineering in Sacramento.

And I've calculated that I'm taking home $40,000 after both taxes and rent in a studio. It's not exactly a GREAT living condition but for my first job out of college? $40k take home with rent, bills, loans paid and car payment taken care of is pretty good money.

Obviously I'm going to ask my boss for a promotion after a year.

Cupertino is crazy expensive. You can't find a crapshack house for under a million dollars. Know what kind of income it takes to afford that kind of a mortgage comfortably with a $200k down payment? Probably $2-300k/yr.

No offense, but $40k in any part of the bay area except dangerous ghettos is barely above the poverty line, and possibly under. Did you say you're renting a room? Try renting a house or even a 3bdrm apt in a safe area. Or supporting a family on that-- no way, you wouldn't even be able to cover rent!

Kudos that you are working, but it is no way to live compared to almost anywhere else in the country.

I was recently hired after being laid off from my last job 8 months ago.

Market in my city sucks but I've been applying for jobs in Hotlanta. Lots of jobs there but doesn't mean shit for me actually getting one.

Yes mostly tech, startup and real estate. The city has basically dropped its pants and bent over for big tech.

Condos are going for 1600 a square foot like hot cakes. We're talking 3+ million for a little fucking condo and it sells for cash. This is beyond big salaries, this is big equity being put to use and it's putting the pressure on the low and middle class.

It's to the point where I honestly don't know if I'd recommend this city for a new graduate. Unless you are a hotshot software developer or VC darling you are going to be slumming it for a while.

Its quite sad...I live in Los Angeles, and everyone I seem to know are either working part time, in a warehouse, or some sort of customer service center. Places where you get treated like dog shit and reflects the pay as well.

As a college student myself..I've been able to land a pretty decent job in the Aerospace industry..But way underpaid, and you dont quite get the job security as in most other industries. Everything can be great one day, the next, government or BOEING contracts are off the books and now the company is laying off people entire divisions. I've seen over 80 people in the past 5 months that I've been here, let go.

Seeing people get laid off knowing they have a family to provide in times like this, is quite surreal and depressing. Nothing the college realm ever prepares you for.

There are lots of jobs...just a lot of people to compete with... those are the good to really good jobs...there are lots of low paying jobs which probably require you to work two to mke a decent living and that is stretching the concept of decent living.

I know in certain areas they got oilfield work...a lot of guys do that...so many that many of the retail stores and things of that payscale can't keep or get employeees...

I was in odessa and all u see is now hiring signs because so many people took to working in oil fields or doing some sort of admin/office/dispatch job with oil companies or companies that work with them.

Knowing people is the key I know numerous people gettig opportunities..their experience skillset and education says they shouldn't get

If you know people you're good. If you come as an outsider it can be tough to find work

Back