• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you react to this aggressive sales tactic?

lol. I think i just clued in now as to all the 'punish the secretary' comments when she did nothing wrong or that I would ask her to change in the future.

Find out where he works,then find the one who did it,then
<{cuts}>

I don't blame you for being annoyed, I would be really annoyed by that too. Sounds like they are so desperate to sell anything.

COME ON I GOTTA MOVE DEEZ CHANDELIERS, GUY!!

Did I miss how he got your work number?

I use that tactic to extort loot from geeks.

More on this later etc'

Don't feel bad TS. You don't owe this guy shit. It's cheap sales tactics. Don't let it pollute your brain.

"Hello, can I speak with Mr. McMann's please?"
"He is in a meeting"
"Oh, we had a call scheduled for this time"
"Ok let me check with him"

She then interrupts our internal meeting and tells me she has "XYZ on the phone who says we have a scheduled call at this time".

She did exactly what I would expect her to do considering. I would not want to be responsible for missing a call I set up, for an internal meeting I could reconvene, had that been the fact.

A good secretary would have their name and company at the very least. If you can't remember whether you have a meeting with a guy from a furniture company that's on you.

7BCn.gif

kung-fury-09-gif-shoot-your-mouth-off-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.gif

Wouldn't your secretary already know what your schedule is? I guess mistakes can happen but maybe she should have what the call is about (written on a card perhaps) rather than some so-vague-it's-useless info next time so you can determine the legitimacy from now on (?)

Its an old sales strategy and its quite effective. Hell, OP is still thinking about that furniture.

I received an unsolicited piece of mail from a furniture company a week back and in it the sales person says "I have set aside next Tuesday at 10am to speak to you about our offerings and will be calling you to discuss".

I never paid attention to it as I had never met or talked to this sales, rep nor their company and was not looking for office furniture.

Anyway I forget it about and on Tuesday this week our office secretary comes and interrupts us in an internal meeting telling me that my 10am Call that I had scheduled is on hold. I have no recollection of setting up a call but do not want to leave someone hanging if I did so I excuse myself. When i take the call it is the furniture guy. Flustered I immediately tell him I do not appreciate this tactic and he should not have told the secretary I had scheduled this call when I did not. I state I find this approach very unprofessional and do not appreciate it.

He immediately gets defensive and states he notified me he would be calling and at this time and if I did not want to speak then I should have contacted him back and let him know.

I told him I am under no obligation to reply in any manner to any of the unsolicited mail, emails or calls I get and that there should be no assumption that anyone needs to call you back to tell you they are not interested. I told him his approach was presumptive and obnoxious.

He then said 'he respects my opinion but I am wrong' and then hung up.

What say you sherbro's? Is this type of sales approach acceptable? I literally get dozens of unsolicited contacts a week. Should they all take this tact it cold require me spending hours a week contacting them to say I am not interested and to cancel the expected call.

I was going to fill the phone receiver with upper cuts had he not hung up on me.
I think presumptive selling is the go to for scumbags everywhere these days and the idea as a whole needs to be kicked in the teeth by a steroid fueled mule.

A good secretary would have their name and company at the very least. If you can't remember whether you have a meeting with a guy from a furniture company that's on you.

She did state his name and company name. Neither of which sounded familiar or specifically like a furniture company and I was not going to just leave him hanging if it was my fault for forgetting.

If it was a meeting with outsiders I would have had the secretary do exactly what you said and apologized saying I double booked and would have to reschedule.
Did I miss how he got your work number?
yes. All of our key executives and Board members names are on our company website.

Wouldn't your secretary already know what your schedule is? I guess mistakes can happen but maybe she should have what the call is about (written on a card perhaps) rather than some so-vague-it's-useless info next time so you can determine the legitimacy from now on (?)
She is the office pool secretary not my personal EA.

If it was a meeting with outsiders I would have had the secretary do exactly what you said and apologized saying I double booked and would have to reschedule.
yes. All of our key executives and Board members names are on our company website.

That's psychotic.

He looked you up.

He wasn't looking to sell you furniture, he wants your head in his freezer.

Back