How would Connor McDavid do in the 1980s?

How would Connor McDavid do in the 1980s?

• He would have reached 2000 points in his career.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Takes Two To Tango

The one who doesn't fall, doesn't stand up.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Connor McDavid is arguably the most physically gifted hockey player that ever laced the skates. I honestly think he's more physically gifted than Wayne Gretzky.

He's more of a two way player than the Great One, he could play very defensively and it's without saying what he can do offensively.

Do you think Connor would put high numbers in the 80s, if he played?

When you consider the goaltenders were not as big as they are now. There padding is not as big, and arguably not as good as the goaltenders of today.

hockey-gretzky.jpg

Connor McDavid is arguably the most physically gifted hockey player that ever laced the skates. I honestly think he's more physically gifted than Wayne Gretzky.

He's more of a two way player than the Great One, he could play very defensively and it's without saying what he can do offensively.

Do you think Connor would put high numbers in the 80s, if he played?

When you consider the goaltenders were not as big as they are now. There padding is not as big, and arguably not as good as the goaltenders of today.

If you invent a timemachine and take Connor to late 70's and 80's when he was 18 he would probably blow Wayne out of the water.
However if Connor was born same year as Wayne, hard to say. Keep in mind hockey gear, coaching/training, diets/peds have improved alot since Wayne joined the league. Not just at pro level but at junior level at all stages. Connor would have atlest Mario type numbers and could surpass Wayne if he stays healthy.

Gretzky isn't known for his physical gifts.

Gretzky did ok in the 80s/90s and McDavid is doing ok in the 10s/20s.

Gretzky what made him a great player like he was and is. That's because of the computer in his head, he's like Jokic is now. So yeah mad respects for the Great One to put those pretty much unbreakable numbers with his above average physical abilities.

If you invent a timemachine and take Connor to late 70's and 80's when he was 18 he would probably blow Wayne out of the water.
However if Connor was born same year as Wayne, hard to say. Keep in mind hockey gear, coaching/training, diets/peds have improved alot since Wayne joined the league. Not just at pro level but at junior level at all stages. Connor would have atlest Mario type numbers and could surpass Wayne if he stays healthy.

Yeah that make sense.

Gretzky what made him a great player like he was and is. That's because of the computer in his head, he's like Jokic is now. So yeah mad respects for the Great One to put those pretty much unbreakable numbers with his above average physical abilities.

I don't know if this is supposed to be English but these two are a better comparison, bad back and all.

1101850318_400.jpg

Second best player of the decade

That's the thing. I'd love to see Bobby Orr born circa 2003 on modern skates with composite sticks and with modern knee surgery treatments.

A lot of players retired or fizzled at age 32 back in the day because the cumulative effect on the body + crap medical care compared to today.

Modern health and treatment raised the average retirement age and ability to contribute longer

That's the thing. I'd love to see Bobby Orr born circa 2003 on modern skates with composite sticks and with modern knee surgery treatments.

A lot of players retired or fizzled at age 32 back in the day because the cumulative effect on the body + crap medical care compared to today.

Modern health and treatment raised the average retirement age and ability to contribute longer
Havent seen Orr play or that many clips but my guess is quite similar to Makar and/or Karlsson. All 3 are close in size, offensive dmen. Maybe Makar would be best on his own zone though.

I don't know what injuries past hockey greats dealt with, but part of the reason I think athletes last longer nowadays is because the quality of the athletes has plateaued. Back in the day, each generation would be better than the last and they would push out the previous generation when they were younger.

Too bad he didn't do squat in the biggest game of his life. <lmao>

I say that about Yzerman.

What i appreciate about Nicklas Lidstrom was great defence and he was rarely injured, dude played so smart and was a fucking defensive genius

I say that about Yzerman.

What i appreciate about Nicklas Lidstrom was great defence and he was rarely injured, dude played so smart and was a fucking defensive genius
I still think Bourque,the Gordie Howe of defensemen, was a better player than Lidstrom lol.

Back