How will you remember RJJ?

I'll remember Roy Jones as the guy that got owned by fellow Perthling Danny Green. Bring on Hopkins next.

WAR DANNY GREEN!

With all respect due to Green, it's too bad he won't accomplish 1/8 of what RJJ accomplished. Enjoy the victory, even though it's not worth much.

When Jones beat Ruiz, people were calling Jones the greatest ever. While I never agreed with that, I think it is closer to the truth than how he will be remembered.

What had me rolling on the floor laughing was the Aussie announcers and their babble. Talking about "to be a legend you have to beat a legend!!!!" lol. I guess if Zsolt Erdei was to beat RJJ now that would make him a legend too? LMAO please!

When Jones beat Ruiz, people were calling Jones the greatest ever. While I never agreed with that, I think it is closer to the truth than how he will be remembered.

What really had me pissed was how Roy didn't plan on staying long @ HW considering the possibilites......imagine how much $$$$$ a RJJ/Mike Tyson fight would have made even if Tyson was on the downside by then? Had RJJ beat him and then retired, people probably would be saying RJJ was the greatest ever (even though beating a faded Tyson wasn't a huge feat).

Fuck it . And fuck whoever is saying " well he got knocked yada yada blah blah" ho the fuck hasn't holy shit.

When you get old, you get old. Your skills start to deteriorate. Happens to every1. Any fan or boxing fan with respect or a brain should look back at the prime of a fighter's career, and his accomplishments, not what he is now and pick apart bits and bits of how he lost when he was 40 years old and not the same boxer anymore.

Roy is one of the greats. Great Boxer. AMAZING Entertainer. Blazing speed. And good person as well. HOF'er.

What really had me pissed was how Roy didn't plan on staying long @ HW considering the possibilites......imagine how much $$$$$ a RJJ/Mike Tyson fight would have made even if Tyson was on the downside by then? Had RJJ beat him and then retired, people probably would be saying RJJ was the greatest ever (even though beating a faded Tyson wasn't a huge feat).

My understanding is that Jones was looking for a huge fight with Tyson or Holyfield to end his career. Tyson didn't want it, and Jones priced himself out of the fight with Holyfield. And outside of those two guys, there weren't really any realistic money matches left for Jones.

My understanding is that Jones was looking for a huge fight with Tyson or Holyfield to end his career. Tyson didn't want it, and Jones priced himself out of the fight with Holyfield. And outside of those two guys, there weren't really any realistic money matches left for Jones.

ive heard this same thing to be true. and at that point before roy cut the weight imo he would have destroyed tyson at that point in mike's career.

I will remember roy jones jr. as a top ten p4p fighter on my list. and that is very select company he is with. plain and simple, the greatest athlete to ever lace up a pair. quickest and most explosive puncher i have ever seen. a man who barely lost rounds, let alone fights. i put him and mike tyson side by side when i think of greatest streaks. but i rank roy way higher than mike atg wise. they both had a similar reign of terror that we have rarely seen before. not the most technical fighter ever, but it really didnt matter. i just wish he would have retired after the johnson loss. what he's done since doesnt change my opinion in the slightest. but it stills gives some fools a chance to babble.

At his prime, he could damn near beat anyone and everyone without 160-175, but the problem is that he either didn't stay long enough at 160 & 168 and wasn't really offered any particular great fighters at 175. He nowhere near top 10 middleweight even though he beat the stuffing out of some of the top 5, A case can be made for him at 168 to be a top 10, maybe top 5 in a relatively young and weak division, but he isn't taking Joe Cal's mantle. And light heavyweight? He's no Archie Moore, Michael Spinks, Ezzard Charles. He's more or less on the lower end of the top 10.

But he has weightclass transcending athletic ability and talent. Pacquiao is not considered a GREAT fighter, but you wouldn't call him the greatest featherweight, lightweight, or welterweight, would ya? No, you wouldn't. So defining his greatness in comparison to the greats in the respective weightclasses he visited is not fair. He HAD that weight transcending ability.

However, it is quite unfortunate in that when he fell, he fell hard and quick. After getting obliterated once, he was never the save again. But when he was at his peak, when his reflexes are hair sensitive, he was an extraordinary fighter capable of making the very good opponents look like they don't belong in the ring with him (James Toney). I think because such a dramatic difference from pre-tarver and post-tarver Jones, I believe 20-30 years from now, most will ignore the later half of his career and respect him at his peak. From that perspective, most will consider him a great fighter, one of the best of his generation, and one of if not the greatest pure athletic talent fighter to ever laced them up.

I don't know where to rank him. I still don't think he had the chin to hang with guys like Braxton or Hagler.

Jones is one of the 30 or so greatest fighters who ever lived.

I'll remember him as a guy who at his peak dominated his peers like no other before him. Whatever competition he had, was made to look classes below what they actually were and that can never be discounted.

The only thing that holds him back from absoulte immortality, is what made him so successful; his style. I've never believed that he could do what he did and get away with it vs. the absolute best throughout history and as he's slowed down, we've begun to see what might have happened had he been afforded the chance to fight the very best.

It's not that he's become vulnerable and lesser fighters have beaten him, it's that his style has been exposed once the speed advantage isn't so great over the opponent...and regardless of the Jones that's in the ring, the very best fighters who ever lived were never going to be at such a significant speed and skill disadvantage as the crop of Jones opponents from this generation.

a great 168-175lbs. fighter with scary blinding speed. he did what he could in a weak era for ligh heavy...
I could make a list a mile long of dream match-ups with Roy fighting some of the all-timers anywhere from 175-200lbs.
RJ Jr. vs. Ezzard Charles
RJ Jr. vs. Rocky Marciano
RJ Jr. vs. cruiser Holyfield
RJ Jr. vs. Bob Foster
RJ Jr. vs. Archie Moore
RJ Jr. vs. Joe Frazier

I'll stop there......that's what video games and dreams are for.....

Easily the greatest fighter of the 1990s..Fuck De La Hoya; he had nothing on Roy.
Arguably in the top 15-20 Boxers if you wanna talk about G.O.A.T.
One of only a handful of guys to win the MW and HW belts in a career.

...only a handful of middleweights could be so lucky to have a fought in a period f time where they had a heavyweight division that featured a John Ruiz as champ.

...only a handful of middleweights could be so lucky to have a fought in a period f time where they had a heavyweight division that featured a John Ruiz as champ.

Holy Mother of God!

A Tam-Tam sighting.

Jones is one of the 30 or so greatest fighters who ever lived.

I'll remember him as a guy who at his peak dominated his peers like no other before him. Whatever competition he had, was made to look classes below what they actually were and that can never be discounted.

The only thing that holds him back from absoulte immortality, is what made him so successful; his style. I've never believed that he could do what he did and get away with it vs. the absolute best throughout history and as he's slowed down, we've begun to see what might have happened had he been afforded the chance to fight the very best.

It's not that he's become vulnerable and lesser fighters have beaten him, it's that his style has been exposed once the speed advantage isn't so great over the opponent...and regardless of the Jones that's in the ring, the very best fighters who ever lived were never going to be at such a significant speed and skill disadvantage as the crop of Jones opponents from this generation.

Do you think there were any contemporaries of his that would have given him trouble at any time?

Hopkins, without question.

And yes; Antonio Tarver.

As a guy who can knock someone down with both hands on his back.

Jones is one of fav boxers, always gave a good show .

A great talent, a guy so fast that on his best day he'd hypothetically be able to beat just about anyone, but is a guy who was a chicken and wasted some of his best years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back