How will you remember RJJ?

a spanktacular athelete and one of the best in his prime - unfortunately, once he lost his reflexes he seemed to have nothing to fall back on - he seemed to try fighting the way he did when he was lighting fast. His chin seem suspect as well.

fun to watch in his prime - too bad he did not fight more name guys but it also goes the same why as they never really wanted to fight him (Darius being the most notable.)

I'll remember him for 2 things:

*His speed
*His extremely excuse-reliant fans

This thread brings a tear to my eye :(

His best days were probably around the same time my best days in life were :) That's what I'll remember.

RJJ is a legend but some of you guys are cutting Greens talent short. Green is one of only 19 Boxers in history to retire as world champion and like most boxing retiree's was back in the ring within a year.

In his prime, RJJ would have been a handful for any fighter in history from 160-200 pounds. That's how I'll try to remember him.

one of the best boxers of all time.

But people need to realize, not everyone is a bernard hopkins, a randy couture.

especially guys like jones. jones relied heavily on his speed. heavily. he wasn't the most technical, very unorthodox.

as the best pound for pound of his era. also one of the last guys to get screwed for a gold medal in the cold war.

There is no doubt Roy Jones Jr. will one day be inducted into the IBHOF in Canastota. His resume speaks for itself.

As we all know, as of late "Superman" hasn't looked so 'super'. When I watched Danny Green drop Roy in the first round yesterday, it was downright depressing. A prime Roy would box circles around Green, yet I was treated to a sad shell of a once great fighter get blown out in the first round. If the brutal KO losses to Johnson/Tarver and the schooling by Calzaghe weren't proof enough Roy's time is over, then this was the nail in the coffin as much as I hate to say it.

Roy was such a great athlete he could do things and get away with things that no boxer of our time could do. But old age catches up with everyone, and the reflexes that once made Roy "unbeatable" are now his un-doing.

When it's all said and done and Roy finally hangs up the gloves, what will be the first thing that comes to your mind? For me, it will be as the lightning quick fighter who won titles in multiple weight classes, culminating in his history making victory over John Ruiz, not as the guy who fought on way past his prime and tarnished his legacy. When people think of Ali, they think of his greatness, not as the fighter who dropped fights to Leon Spinks and Larry Holmes in the twilight of his career.

I think this will be the case with Jones, unless he keeps fighting and getting knocked out by guys of Green's caliber. Look at Evander Holyfield. Many people overlook his finest moments (upset of Tyson, trilogy with Bowe, 4 time World Champ) in favor of the guy "who just didn't know when to quit".

Maybe this is the last time we see Roy Jones Jr......hopefully.

it reminds me of sugar ray leonard fought hector camacho and got knocked out in 4 rounds. roy jones will always be an alltime great.

a spanktacular athelete and one of the best in his prime - unfortunately, once he lost his reflexes he seemed to have nothing to fall back on - he seemed to try fighting the way he did when he was lighting fast. His chin seem suspect as well.

fun to watch in his prime - too bad he did not fight more name guys but it also goes the same why as they never really wanted to fight him (Darius being the most notable.)

dont forget joe calzaghe

he prob the best boxer i have ever seen.

unbelievable boxer, pity he had to drag it out so long,

legend

I'll remember Roy Jones as the guy that got owned by fellow Perthling Danny Green. Bring on Hopkins next.

WAR DANNY GREEN!

an amazing talent
an great middlewight and supermiddleweight a disappointing lhw and hw
stayed too long

I will think of him as i saw him when i was younger,in his prime,with the belts,putting on a very entertaining show.In his prime he was the man no doubt.

Everyone falls off at some point,you have to remember the good things.

I would definately not remember him for being a fool who stayed around too long. Im alot younger than most of you here, and wasnt an adult when he was in his prime. Ive watched his fights over the past few years online and always thought he couldve been more technical, but he got the job more than done up untill he lost some speed and reflexes.

Guy was insanely fast, very gifted and Im glad I got to see it at least.

When people think of SRL do they really think of him being beat to a pulp by norris and camacho? NO! They remember him winning, even though is last win was when he was 33 years old against another washed up great (duran).

At 34yo roy had never been beaten, and he held a hw belt and was unamiously considered the p4p best in the world. THAT's what he will be remembered for.

It's the nature of things, people love to tear apart modern day fighters, but as soon as they retire and some time passes the only thing that gets remember is them at their best.

Back