How will you remember RJJ?

GetYaShinebox

WNY
@Brown
Reaction score
There is no doubt Roy Jones Jr. will one day be inducted into the IBHOF in Canastota. His resume speaks for itself.

As we all know, as of late "Superman" hasn't looked so 'super'. When I watched Danny Green drop Roy in the first round yesterday, it was downright depressing. A prime Roy would box circles around Green, yet I was treated to a sad shell of a once great fighter get blown out in the first round. If the brutal KO losses to Johnson/Tarver and the schooling by Calzaghe weren't proof enough Roy's time is over, then this was the nail in the coffin as much as I hate to say it.

Roy was such a great athlete he could do things and get away with things that no boxer of our time could do. But old age catches up with everyone, and the reflexes that once made Roy "unbeatable" are now his un-doing.

When it's all said and done and Roy finally hangs up the gloves, what will be the first thing that comes to your mind? For me, it will be as the lightning quick fighter who won titles in multiple weight classes, culminating in his history making victory over John Ruiz, not as the guy who fought on way past his prime and tarnished his legacy. When people think of Ali, they think of his greatness, not as the fighter who dropped fights to Leon Spinks and Larry Holmes in the twilight of his career.

I think this will be the case with Jones, unless he keeps fighting and getting knocked out by guys of Green's caliber. Look at Evander Holyfield. Many people overlook his finest moments (upset of Tyson, trilogy with Bowe, 4 time World Champ) in favor of the guy "who just didn't know when to quit".

Maybe this is the last time we see Roy Jones Jr......hopefully.

eh

I'd like to say its for the Olympic robbery, or for beating Toney and Hopkins and winning a HW title but honestly, years from now when someone mentions Jones, I'll probably picture Jones on the canvas when Glen Johnson put him in a coma.

The Roy I recall....
RoyJones1.jpg

The Roy I don't want to recall
RoyJonesJr.png

He's still the man no matter what he does. I would still love to see a Hopkins-RJJ fight this spring.

In his prime, nobody was more entertaining.

Fast as any man to lace em up. Able to due crazy stuff like land triple left hooks slip damn near anything in his prime. Missing fundementals due to his insane speed. He wasn't the lineal champ at light heavy and should have fought Darius M. He did beat Bernard fair and square. Toney had issues with weight. Dominated most foes and was p4p best for years. Ruiz was an easy mark and in no way the real champ at heavyweight. Losing muscle to get back to LH ruined him. Stayed around to long after he was done. All said and done, thanks Roy, you gave me a lot of good memories and entertainment. Grats on being in the hall of fame soon enough.

Horrible commentator who loved arguing with Larry Merchant. Kidding i guess I'll remember him as such an unstoppable force in the 90's who suddenly was made to look human by an above average fighter. Oh yeah and eating some leather and canvas hard

Lightning fast with power. Badass mofo. fuck the haters.

One of the best fighters of all time...truly unstoppable at one point...

no one even came close.....there was the bull$hit Griffin DQ...and we all know about Tarver.

One of the best athletes to ever step into the ring. That next level type of athlete. But I think he'll have trouble endearing himself to fans when it comes to legacy. He was more athlete than fighter, had a very shaky chin, and never won a fight on pure grit. Many people who watch boxing love the tough fighters even when they lack skill, thats why guys like Lamotta, Marciano, and Frazier are so loved, because they won fights they shouldn't have.

The guy who singlehandedly destroyed Olympic boxing (getting screwed over so badly in Korea that they changed the rules to take out any semblance of fighting)

A great, great athlete who was an amazing boxer to watch. Somebody who was top P4P for several years but never gave the impression of actually seeking out real challenges.

A guy who could do things in the ring that you only see once a generation. If that.

Another fighter who stayed in the ring too long.

In his prime he was unbeatable. Most athletically gifted boxer I've ever seen. Father time caught up to him that's all.

- Super fast
- Jordan brand gear
- Losses to Antonio Taver, and Glen Johnson
- "Yall Must've forgot"

A disgrace to the sport...and his talents...a clown in the ring

He has all the talent in the world, to be the best, maybe even all time, yet doesn't know his priorities and take care of business...thus ends up below lesser talented fighters in the history books

...if you're susceptible to getting KTFO you have no business acting like a clown in the ring instead of boxing, especially if you're a 40 year old man....his last few fights were especially embarrassment to watch like with Tito where he would just act like a total ass-clown during the fight...

...the dude had no business "letting himself" being trapped in the corner like that against Danny Green in the FIRST round...guy takes his talent for granted...deserved to be knocked out

eh

I'd like to say its for the Olympic robbery, or for beating Toney and Hopkins and winning a HW title but honestly, years from now when someone mentions Jones, I'll probably picture Jones on the canvas when Glen Johnson put him in a coma.

Man just mentioning it, I can hear his head smacking into the canvas.

RJJ will be one of those boxers who I shall remember his prime fondly, but lokk down to the ground & slowly shake my head when thinking of what he is now.

In his prime he made the quickist fighter look like they were underwater.

I will remember him as one of the greatest ever to lace 'em up, and likely the most physically gifted athelete the sport has ever seen.

In his prime he couldn't be touched. He was so much better than anybody else in the game that second place seemed to be practicing a different sport.

Truly a legend that loved the game.

Not fighting Mikhelzewski(sp).

Back