how was cardio in the UFC early years?

Royce at UFC 3. He is the only fighter to ever enter the "Octagon" and quit before a fight starts.

You think so let's see how your john Jones and wiedmen would fare in a era were the rules were not heard twords there styles as in the early days when groin strikes were leagel and when there were not rest between rounds you can't even tell me wrestling in mma has evolved you think we have better wrestlers than dam sevran mark Colman randy couter get out of here you think we have better kick boxing than Bas young wanderlay cross crop better bjj than Royce or Penn bravo come on and wake up get off mma nuts and look at the fighters not the sport

but you never had anyone like Machida!

You think so let's see how your john Jones and wiedmen would fare in a era were the rules were not heard twords there styles as in the early days when groin strikes were leagel and when there were not rest between rounds you can't even tell me wrestling in mma has evolved you think we have better wrestlers than dam sevran mark Colman randy couter get out of here you think we have better kick boxing than Bas young wanderlay cross crop better bjj than Royce or Penn bravo come on and wake up get off mma nuts and look at the fighters not the sport

I am not sure if you are intentionally or unintentionally hilarious but either way I lol'ed hard at your posts.

They weren't given 3 months notice to train before a fight. Some of the tournament guys came in last minute and obviously were out of shape cosmetically and/or conditioning wise.

I don't think that the early UFC guys even had fight teams let alone fight camps that they trained months before their fight. Most of the guys would be lucky to know a few weeks before an event that they were fighting.

There was a major difference between the ones with cardio and the ones without..but you gotta remember the earlier ufc's were tournament style and the rounds were longer

If you are talking about the beginning then you had some of everything. It was tournaments so the bad cardio guys were the first to go but fights were longer and you had multiple fights as you won.

As you got past the tournamnets you still had many with bad cardio especially the heavy guys. Training in all phases has imrpoved over the years.

Royce at UFC 3. He is the only fighter to ever enter the "Octagon" and quit before a fight starts.

True but it was atrributed to the fight he had before that one. It took everything he had to win and when he advanced he had nothing. I'm not saying he was at his best condition that night but there were other factors.

It was better I think. They used to fight for 1/2 hour straight or something and they used to have 8 man tourneys which todays fighters would basically die

Just think after Matt Brown Erik Silva fight:

Dana: "Matt Brown got hurt so Erik even tho u lost you get to move ahead and are facing Hector Lombard then Carlos Conduit tonite"
Erik: "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!" *dies*

:icon_chee

Last edited:
Bad cardio. They rested a ton in those tournaments people like to mention.

Gracie sakuraba went 90 minutes.. Cardio differs.. Then and now. Look at silva yesterday gassing after 3 minutes..

Gracie sakuraba went 90 minutes.. Cardio differs.. Then and now. Look at silva yesterday gassing after 3 minutes..

Have you watched that whole fight? I have. They took breaks that were almost as long as an entire modern three-round fight. Seriously, 10-12 minute stretches with practically zero action.

Comparing that to modern MMA is like saying baseball players must be in better shape than soccer players because a baseball game is longer.

Cardio was a non existent idea in the early days of the UFC.

The fact that many UFC fighters can train full time and focus 100% of their career on fighting, cardio has become less and less of an issue. Yeah, some fighters still do gas out fast, but thats more of the exception now.

Some of you didn't hear the guy who said "research Frank vs. Tito".

Have you watched that whole fight? I have. They took breaks that were almost as long as an entire modern three-round fight. Seriously, 10-12 minute stretches with practically zero action.

Comparing that to modern MMA is like saying baseball players must be in better shape than soccer players because a baseball game is longer.

Wait, I'm confused.. I've watched the whole fight, it's ten minute rounds and unlimited rounds.. so I don't know what you're talking about with 12 minute breaks..?! Have you watched that fight?

"Pete William delivers! The lions stand victorious!!" If you remember that.

Back