how was cardio in the UFC early years?

Without epo and other peds? pretty bad mostly

Head kick heard around the world.

Williams Coleman was Simply A Nasty.

I like Mark, though.

Original UFC HW Champion besides Ken.

Royce's was good enough to get the job done

Pat Smith didn't last many minutes on the octagon, 'cause he was ferocious finisher or either he lost

Severn's was good

1sr cardio machine: Frank Shamrock

Have you watched that whole fight? I have. They took breaks that were almost as long as an entire modern three-round fight. Seriously, 10-12 minute stretches with practically zero action.

Comparing that to modern MMA is like saying baseball players must be in better shape than soccer players because a baseball game is longer.

Why make up lies? I never get that; especially when the evidence of the contrary is there.
That was/is modern MMA. I'd like to see any fighter go 90 minutes. The comparison is ridiculous.

many good, many bad.

everything is give and take in this sport. Erick Silva and many others give up longevity for huge power, and often times it pays off with lots of first round KO's. others give up one punch power for longevity. it too can pay off.

not much has changed.

go watch a Randy v Horn if you want to see 2 guys with lots of gas go at it very slowly. and then go watch any Tank or OlderReem fight.

It was a different playing field to be quite honest. The rounds were longer (Pride's 10+5+5) or even unlimited.

Outside of a few guys like Ruas and Frank Shamrock (coincidentally the first "well rounded" fighters"), very shit.

I think the cardio of today's fighters would look a bit diffrently as well, if all fights did not have rounds, like the fights back in the day. If fights had a 15 minute time limit, with no rounds, you'd probably see a lot more stalling/clinching, and more gassing as well. A lot of today's fighters can prepare/train to go balls out for 3 rounds with a 1 minute break between rounds, but I think the pace would have to change, as well as the level on intensity if this was a straight 15 minute fight.

With that being said, I'm sure most of you remember some of Tanks' fights, it he went over 3-4 minutes, you better get the oxygen mask out. Even Vitor, when he was a heavy weight, didn't seem like he has the tank that he does now, the Couture fight was an example of that.

Wait, I'm confused.. I've watched the whole fight, it's ten minute rounds and unlimited rounds.. so I don't know what you're talking about with 12 minute breaks..?! Have you watched that fight?

Why make up lies? I never get that; especially when the evidence of the contrary is there.
That was/is modern MMA. I'd like to see any fighter go 90 minutes. The comparison is ridiculous.

Fifteen minute rounds. And I was making the point that the 3rd and 4th rounds, in particular, had next to zero action.

It was Maurice Smith that led the way in the cardio department. He beat Coleman to get the belt and It's well documented that he taught Frank about the importance of training cardio.

Randy was the first guy I remember to have really good cardio in the UFC. He beat the brakes off Vitor at UFC 15 thanks to having such better cardio.

There were a few guys back then who had pretty good cardio.

Frank Shamrock's win over Tito Ortiz was a great fight where Shamrock wore the larger Tito down and finished him late in the fourth.

Edit: someone already mentioned it. It's a great example.

Royce's was good enough to get the job done

Pat Smith didn't last many minutes on the octagon, 'cause he was ferocious finisher or either he lost

Severn's was good

1sr cardio machine: Frank Shamrock

Nope, Maurice Smith was first.

Back