how was cardio in the UFC early years?

Charlitos1988

Purple Belt
Reaction score
About the topic "Today we have athletes and not fighters", of course athletes today have good cardio.

but how was the cardio of the original "pure fighters"?
or maybe this wasn't an issue?

I just read here something like Frank Shamrock was the original fighter who started training his cardio doing running, sprints, etc. but most of his teammates in Lions Den didnt like it and were just happy with the cardio they get from continuous sparring.

It was horrible, even among top-level guys. I'm remembering Pete Williams kicking Mark Coleman in the face. That was only possible because Mark was standing there practically with his hands on his knees.

Early UFC's fighters used to gas in 60 seconds, and if a fight ever went longer than that the announcers praised them for being able to go that long.

Not good, unless you consider the guys like Ken, Royce, Severn, etc. who were going in expecting to fight for a half hour plus at a time.

Not good, unless you consider the guys like Ken, Royce, Severn, etc. who were going in expecting to fight for a half hour plus at a time.

But Royce used to gas in long fights like vs Shamrock 2, Kimo and Sakuraba.

The cardio was bad, but usually both guys gassed so there were periods in fights where both guys were resting a lot.

It was laughable compared to the tops fightes of today, although there are still plenty of fighters who gas out after one round today.

Come on I am tired of people acting like mma has evolved and the fighters are so much better that is bs do u forget when u fought multiple times or for 30min pluse with no rest do you really think a kieth hackney sticking was not as good as a chuck Liddell hell Royce and Dan Severn were cardio beast back in the day yoshida and sakarbi were amazing mma evolved lol last I cheaked the only thing that has changed is as u say that work more conditioning than they used to and I still don't see a big difference mma has not changed it is still wrestling jujitsue and stricking its just more mainstreemd now hell bas written back in the day had more cardio and a much better skill set than most fighters today st

It was horrible. Many of the fighters who dominated during the dark ages did so, not only because of superior skill, but because their cardio was better.

Ruas, Smith, Rutten, Shamrocks, Ortiz to some extent, to name but a few.

Come on I am tired of people acting like mma has evolved and the fighters are so much better that is bs do u forget when u fought multiple times or for 30min pluse with no rest do you really think a kieth hackney sticking was not as good as a chuck Liddell hell Royce and Dan Severn were cardio beast back in the day yoshida and sakarbi were amazing mma evolved lol last I cheaked the only thing that has changed is as u say that work more conditioning than they used to and I still don't see a big difference mma has not changed it is still wrestling jujitsue and stricking its just more mainstreemd now hell bas written back in the day had more cardio and a much better skill set than most fighters today st

I hope your other 6 posts are as funny as this one.

...Wow.

You think so let's see how your john Jones and wiedmen would fare in a era were the rules were not heard twords there styles as in the early days when groin strikes were leagel and when there were not rest between rounds you can't even tell me wrestling in mma has evolved you think we have better wrestlers than dam sevran mark Colman randy couter get out of here you think we have better kick boxing than Bas young wanderlay cross crop better bjj than Royce or Penn bravo come on and wake up get off mma nuts and look at the fighters not the sport

You think so let's see how your john Jones and wiedmen would fare in a era were the rules were not heard twords there styles as in the early days when groin strikes were leagel and when there were not rest between rounds you can't even tell me wrestling in mma has evolved you think we have better wrestlers than dam sevran mark Colman randy couter get out of here you think we have better kick boxing than Bas young wanderlay cross crop better bjj than Royce or Penn bravo come on and wake up get off mma nuts and look at the fighters not the sport

The thought of what Jon Jones would be capable of with early UFC rules is terrifying.

ha this guy is all

bang-head-on-keyboard.gif

Early UFC's fighters used to gas in 60 seconds, and if a fight ever went longer than that the announcers praised them for being able to go that long.

Exhibit A: Kevin Rosier vs Zane Frazier.

Back