How to increase chin up/pull up reps

I enjoy pullups.

With that said, all of those that mentioned greasing the groove were spot on.

I tend to benefit greatly from using a system like this (esp when I need to get back in the swing of things)

Monday-25
Tuesday-50
Weds-none
Thursday-150
Friday-25

The only day I concentrate on the lift is Thursday, all other days I am literally just walking by the bar between sets of other exercises, water fountain, etc.
Your muscle physiology will dictate what works best for you, but I have found that keeping my rep ranges between 3-5 on the lower rep days will actually charge my back for the high rep day. It's high volume but low intensity, and it seems to work.
Isometric holds at the top point of the pull, weighted pullups, pullovers will help you progress as well.

Last edited:
you can also try using a switch grip as they way you would hold the bar during dead lifts. Make sure to train with you grip switched in both directions. This help you get the max reps out of each round.

another tool you can use for motivation is picking a set number of reps and working that for time. Keeping track of the time will allow you to measure your progress.

hey man. Ive realized that doing dumbbell rows and barbell rows have helped my pullups more than doing pullups alone. I started doing them and before i could only do around 14-15 pullups and it increased from that to , in about 4 weeks. The reason being is that you can pull so much more weight that way.

hey man. Ive realized that doing dumbbell rows and barbell rows have helped my pullups more than doing pullups alone. I started doing them and before i could only do around 14-15 pullups and it increased from that to , in about 4 weeks. The reason being is that you can pull so much more weight that way.

nice to hear they aren

i actually just hit 80 pounds for 2 sets of 3. while 3 more sets of 3 with 70lbs.

I believe working more towards this way will benefit you the most. Realize that your doing the movement and adding weight. So i would add weight until you can do 5 sets of 5. Than increase the weight 10 pounds. Or you could do 5 sets of 3 than increase weight.

So when you do this progressive resistance for 8-10 weeks, you will try a normal BW pull-up and realize that you'll be getting 40 consecutively.

GOOD LUCK:icon_twis

Some great ideas here. First time I checked out the strength and conditioning forums.

Rotty was good to tell you to work on the negatives. Not because its cool and was a fad at one time in the nineties, but because you can lift more during the negatives, as rotty said, become tired and then get assistance going up and either hold it at eye level (isometric) or slowly let yourself down. Till death my friend.

Another I have seen from crazy dudes in the gym is to tie the belt with weight around yourself. (Assuming you have done this already) and do negatives. Normal sets but with help getting to the eye level (full contraction)

See the isometric part at full contraction and or slightly lower is where its the hardest. That will help with the most difficult part.

I dont know much but there is my two cents.

Do weighted chin-ups/pull-ups, then normal chin-ups/pull-ups. About 5 sets each.

Back