How to increase chin up/pull up reps

Why would u wanna be able to do more chinups? You going into a chinup competition.

I remember Wendler saying he didn't want anyone in his gym who couldn't do at least 12 BW pullups.

the pullup/chinup is one of the most commonly understood designators of strength conditioning. Having a minimum number is very common on many fitness test for military/professionals.

Also its probably one of the best exercises for your lats/biceps/traps. This chain of muscles is used in almost any athletic endeavor to perform compound movements. If you can do a lot of pullups/chins you have a well conditioned pulling ability. Now as to whether your goal is to do more BW reps or more additional weight (i.e. 1RM but with additional weight) is kind of a less important consideration, tho if you can do more BW reps you could probably do more additional weight on a 1RM. It's not a perfect relationship as you can train either specifically, but there is some correlation.

I'd say that deadlifting half a ton is a better indication of not being a weak asshole.

As your deadlift improves having adequate upper back strength becomes a very important link in your ability to transfer power to the bar. Konstantin Konstaninovs, one of the strongest deadlifters in the world, believes that pullups are important for a huge deadlift. I think there's a video floating around of KK doing like 50ish pullups in one set.

I bought a belt for weighted pull ups/chin ups, and it was worth the $.

As your deadlift improves having adequate upper back strength becomes a very important link in your ability to transfer power to the bar. Konstantin Konstaninovs, one of the strongest deadlifters in the world, believes that pullups are important for a huge deadlift. I think there's a video floating around of KK doing like 50ish pullups in one set.

nice!!!!
i guess not too many powerlifters can do that.
he does look less bulky in this vid than in the others where he does the 1 rep heavy lifts.
nonetheless an incredible athlete!

-Do more negatives
-Work harder variations
-Do explosive variations
-Do weighted variations
-Work towards 1 arm pull ups
-Try isometric variations

If he can already do "12,8,6,5,5 with 1min rest" and is looking for max reps, I think Recon Ron would be a much better (and possibly the best) option to pursue.

That's it.

As for rest periods, I'm not sure.

I got my pullups to a high level using my own formula, based on nothing more than jack shit. But it worked.

Do this:
Do as many reps as possible. Multiply this number by four. Try to reach this number (counting your first set) in as little sets as possible. One minute rest.

E.G. Max rep: 10. Multiply by four: 40. Hypothetical sets: (10), 8, 8, 6, 5, 3. -> which totals forty pullups in six sets.

The next week, try to do it in five sets. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I got my pullups to a high level using my own formula, based on nothing more than jack shit. But it worked.

Do this:
Do as many reps as possible. Multiply this number by four. Try to reach this number (counting your first set) in as little sets as possible. One minute rest.

E.G. Max rep: 10. Multiply by four: 40. Hypothetical sets: (10), 8, 8, 6, 5, 3. -> which totals forty pullups in six sets.

The next week, try to do it in five sets. Wash, rinse, repeat.

nice idea.
i

It's called "kipping" the pull-ups, just a variation. That's not cheating unless he is competing in a strict pull-ups challenge or something, there are a lot of pull-ups variations and although you can argue endlessly about which one is the best or what special characteristic is specifically targeted by them, in the end they're all great. Just grab a bar anyway you like and pull.

-Do more negatives
-Work harder variations
-Do explosive variations
-Do weighted variations
-Work towards 1 arm pull ups
-Try isometric variations

How many negatives should you do?

Back