How to develop punching power/heavy hands

This is the only relevant information to your ability to give advice to anyone in this thread. You have 6 months experience. Even if you went 8 hours a day every day your still very, very green. You shouldn't be advising anybody on ANYTHING. I'm sorry you think your tiny amount of training makes you an expert, but it doesn't, and your not.

I see kids like you from time to time in the gym. In fact I saw one last night, he came in and did a few rounds on the heavy bag, grunting profusely and basically letting the bag work him. He then proceeds to tell one of our pro's who was doing KB snatches (A better exercise than anything you've put forward) that lifting will make him musclebound and slow. Maybe he was right, after all the pro has a record of 12-5 so I guess he's just another useless tomato can who should be listening to the likes of you who has spent a WHOLE summer at an MMA gym. Wow, Greg Nelson should watch out- he's got some fierce competition!!

You deserve to be insulted, because you are a keyboard warrior in denial. Training and fighting are two different things, but you'll never realise this because you'll probably be out injured all the time with improper self prescribed training methods and flawed technique that you taught yourself from a book.

6 months training is not enough time to have learnt anything well enough to give you the right to teach it. Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, anything. / Thread.

Perhaps I should've clarified for your reading comprehension challenged ass- I've had 6 months of training at a jits/ boxing gym up where I go to school, and 4 months of training at Xtreme Couture. Considering that (when i've been training) I go 3-5 times a week, for around 3 hours at a time, I think I have the rudimentary knowledge required to tell someone how to improve punching power. I've also been told to fully extend my right cross enough times by very good boxing/ MT coaches to know that it's important. I mean, unless you don't value opinions of respected professionals like Ron Frazier, Joey Vanier, Gil Martinez, Martin Kampmann, or the Pros at the gym I train at currently.

I'm not trying to teach anyone, I was simply suggesting some exercises to improve punching power, and also AGREEING with an amateur fighter on here that dismissed the whole "aim a foot behind the target" piece of advice someone mentioned.

You're the troll here, and it's a good thing I don't give a flying fuck what you think, because you're a dumbass. Considering that i've followed this sport for well over 3 years, and have a decent amount of training in elite facilities, under the guidance of respected instructors, I do feel like I have the knowledge to give advice on basic issues.

And you saying that I'm probably like the guy giving advice to the pro, and that I "grunt profusely and let the bag work me" just shows that you're desperately fishing for insults. Again, your old friend ad hominem. And I wouldn't call an MMA fighter w/ a 12-5 record a can, respective to MMA that's pretty solid, especially if it was against good competition. However, a boxer with a 12-19 record is considered a tomato can, sorry; records are seen differently in boxing, and sub- .500 is journeyman level at best.

Perhaps I should've clarified for your reading comprehension challenged ass- I've had 6 months of training at a jits/ boxing gym up where I go to school, and 4 months of training at Xtreme Couture. Considering that (when i've been training) I go 3-5 times a week, for around 3 hours at a time, I think I have the rudimentary knowledge required to tell someone how to improve punching power. I've also been told to fully extend my right cross enough times by very good boxing/ MT coaches to know that it's important. I mean, unless you don't value opinions of respected professionals like Ron Frazier, Joey Vanier, Gil Martinez, Martin Kampmann, or the Pros at the gym I train at currently.

I'm not trying to teach anyone, I was simply suggesting some exercises to improve punching power, and also AGREEING with an amateur fighter on here that dismissed the whole "aim a foot behind the target" piece of advice someone mentioned.

You're the troll here, and it's a good thing I don't give a flying fuck what you think, because you're a dumbass. Considering that i've followed this sport for well over 3 years, and have a decent amount of training in elite facilities, under the guidance of respected instructors, I do feel like I have the knowledge to give advice on basic issues.

And you saying that I'm probably like the guy giving advice to the pro, and that I "grunt profusely and let the bag work me" just shows that you're desperately fishing for insults. Again, your old friend ad hominem. And I wouldn't call an MMA fighter w/ a 12-5 record a can, respective to MMA that's pretty solid, especially if it was against good competition. However, a boxer with a 12-19 record is considered a tomato can, sorry; records are seen differently in boxing, and sub- .500 is journeyman level at best.

- These 3 statements are heavily subjective, and show your opinion of your own knowledge is massively inflated compared to your actual experience. Improving punching power is not a basic issue, it's a fundamental one. There is a big difference.

6 months training (even at 24 hours per day) in combat sports isn't even scratching the surface of amateur level, especially when you train MMA which obviously has a variety of skills. If you train evenly, this means 6 months training isn't even 2 months of pure striking training.

If you honestly believe that amount of training qualifies you to answer any questions beyond where to buy a good mouthguard, you are truly delusional. If you have as much experience as you say, and such an innate wisdom of all things MMA, why haven't your trainers suggested you get in the ring and fight?

Perhaps it's because contrary to your own inflated beliefs, you are nowhere near skilled enough to do so, and as such, should refrain from advising others how to improve their game. Especially when you haven't paid your due in this sport, or probably any other.

The fact the you posted a workout you found on the internet (regardless of how effective it was) only goes to show that you really have no idea what you are talking about, and pass off the information of others as though you yourself know as much about it as they do (your technique advice is guilty of this as well).

Take a step back ,train some more, maybe even sign up for a fight. THEN take a good hard look at your abilities and decide if you are fit to advise others.

I'll say this part again so you get the message.

6 months training is not enough time to have learnt anything well enough to give you the right to teach it. Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, anything (including punching power).

/ Thread.

- These 3 statements are heavily subjective, and show your opinion of your own knowledge is massively inflated compared to your actual experience. Improving punching power is not a basic issue, it's a fundamental one. There is a big difference.

6 months training (even at 24 hours per day) in combat sports isn't even scratching the surface of amateur level, especially when you train MMA which obviously has a variety of skills. If you train evenly, this means 6 months training isn't even 2 months of pure striking training.

If you honestly believe that amount of training qualifies you to answer any questions beyond where to buy a good mouthguard, you are truly delusional. If you have as much experience as you say, and such an innate wisdom of all things MMA, why haven't your trainers suggested you get in the ring and fight?

Perhaps it's because contrary to your own inflated beliefs, you are nowhere near skilled enough to do so, and as such, should refrain from advising others how to improve their game. Especially when you haven't paid your due in this sport, or probably any other.

The fact the you posted a workout you found on the internet (regardless of how effective it was) only goes to show that you really have no idea what you are talking about, and pass off the information of others as though you yourself know as much about it as they do (your technique advice is guilty of this as well).

Take a step back ,train some more, maybe even sign up for a fight. THEN take a good hard look at your abilities and decide if you are fit to advise others.

I'll say this part again so you get the message.

6 months training is not enough time to have learnt anything well enough to give you the right to teach it. Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, anything (including punching power).

/ Thread.

Yeah, because i'm going to listen to the advice of some fucking jabroni on sherdog. Fuck off bro, i'll give advice whenever the hell I feel like it. I don't give a shit about your opinion of MY opinion.

I'm a very astute learner, especially when i'm interested in something, and i've paid alot of attention to what my teachers (who have world class reputations and knowledge) have to say.

You said that improving punching power isn't a "basic" issue, but a "fundamental" one; splitting hairs much? Those words literally mean the same thing. Basics/ fundamentals, they're MOTHER FUCKING SYNONYMS, DUMBASS.

Obviously we have radically differing opinions, and neither of us are going to convince the other he's wrong. All I know is that my arguments have been much more logical and based on facts, whereas yours have been based on insults and heresay. We can argue about this all day long, but i'm going to be the bigger man and walk away, knowing that i'm not some shriveled dick loser who feels like he has something to prove on Sherdog.

Quick question. So let's say if one develops power while hitting the pads, then how hard should one hit doing three three minuite rounds? My cardio isn't great, but I can easily do three three minuite rounds after skipping, shadow boxing, and three rounds of bagwork at about 50-65% strength. If I do anything above around 60% I will probably gas a lil and my technique will get sloppier. So how hard should one hit the pads? Should you do part of it at moderate strength and do another part with decent power (like the last thirty seconds or something like that)? Thanks.

IMO going full out on the pads is not healthy for the person holding them more than anything. I think your idea about going hard for the last 30 seconds to keep your technique clean is fairly sound though.

Wrap your hands and go full out on the heavy bag, the more you do it the more your cardio for that activity will increase, at least theoretically.

Quick question. So let's say if one develops power while hitting the pads, then how hard should one hit doing three three minuite rounds? My cardio isn't great, but I can easily do three three minuite rounds after skipping, shadow boxing, and three rounds of bagwork at about 50-65% strength. If I do anything above around 60% I will probably gas a lil and my technique will get sloppier. So how hard should one hit the pads? Should you do part of it at moderate strength and do another part with decent power (like the last thirty seconds or something like that)? Thanks.

Well, from my experience you shouldn't be trying to kill the pads, you've probably got it at around the right ratio; the most important thing about hitting the mitts is to make sure you have good form & as much speed as possible; making sure you get good snap, rotating your hips/ sitting down on your punches, turning your punches over, and making sure your other hand is always right up at your face.

Well, Rampage says you should "put your ass into it". I think some people are just born with it, though.

Well, from my experience you shouldn't be trying to kill the pads, you've probably got it at around the right ratio; the most important thing about hitting the mitts is to make sure you have good form & as much speed as possible; making sure you get good snap, rotating your hips/ sitting down on your punches, turning your punches over, and making sure your other hand is always right up at your face.

well put, i agree.

Truth is, on pads it is more important to focus on the form and technique. Throw good sharp punches and get them out n back quickly, focusing on keeping a good center of balance and being able to move in any direction any time. One of the biggest issues with training on the pads or becoming a "pad pro", is that you expect every shot to land. Unless of course you miss the pads, and that is a whole other problem. Swinging with all ya got and smacking pads is fun, but i would rather see a guy who throws shots with great control, than a guy who just smashes pads. Every time your hitting the pads try to think, "what if i missed", would you be off balance? When i train a guy on the pads I will every once in a while pull the pad away and intentionally make him miss the shot. A guy who is throwing with control easily recovers for the next shot. A guy who is just swinging and trying to smash the pad will immediately fall off balance. In short, when hitting pads you expect to make contact, but always keep in your mind, some shots miss in real application. Be mindful of that, then hit the pads as hard as you wish, just make sure to never lose control.

well put, i agree.

Truth is, on pads it is more important to focus on the form and technique. Throw good sharp punches and get them out n back quickly, focusing on keeping a good center of balance and being able to move in any direction any time. One of the biggest issues with training on the pads or becoming a "pad pro", is that you expect every shot to land. Unless of course you miss the pads, and that is a whole other problem. Swinging with all ya got and smacking pads is fun, but i would rather see a guy who throws shots with great control, than a guy who just smashes pads. Every time your hitting the pads try to think, "what if i missed", would you be off balance? When i train a guy on the pads I will every once in a while pull the pad away and intentionally make him miss the shot. A guy who is throwing with control easily recovers for the next shot. A guy who is just swinging and trying to smash the pad will immediately fall off balance. In short, when hitting pads you expect to make contact, but always keep in your mind, some shots miss in real application. Be mindful of that, then hit the pads as hard as you wish, just make sure to never lose control.

this is a great comment. I just realized how often I over-commit on pads. I'll have to see about getting my partners to pull them away sometimes, thanks!

Yeah, because i'm going to listen to the advice of some fucking jabroni on sherdog. Fuck off bro, i'll give advice whenever the hell I feel like it. I don't give a shit about your opinion of MY opinion.

I'm a very astute learner, especially when i'm interested in something, and i've paid alot of attention to what my teachers (who have world class reputations and knowledge) have to say.

You said that improving punching power isn't a "basic" issue, but a "fundamental" one; splitting hairs much? Those words literally mean the same thing. Basics/ fundamentals, they're MOTHER FUCKING SYNONYMS, DUMBASS.

Obviously we have radically differing opinions, and neither of us are going to convince the other he's wrong. All I know is that my arguments have been much more logical and based on facts, whereas yours have been based on insults and heresay. We can argue about this all day long, but i'm going to be the bigger man and walk away, knowing that i'm not some shriveled dick loser who feels like he has something to prove on Sherdog.

Made my hour.:D

I'm really not getting something here.

Is this 'genetics' thing kind of like 'spirit' in the body because I don't know if there's been any scientific study that concluded that there is a 'fighting gene' that automatically makes you have canned ham for hands.

I think punching power can be developed just by proper technique and strength training. Explosiveness etc.

You can even go as far as to incorporate quantum physics into this and to say that nothing is impossible even if there is a 0.00000000000001% chance of it being possible. It can never be half-possible, it's either possible or impossible, and everything has a mathematical percentage to be possible therefor nothing is impossible.

Quantum physics leads you to believe that there is a very small percent chance that you could walk through a cement wall and end up on the other side.

When you boil down to it and look in depth into time and size you can come to the conclusion that they both don't exist. It's nothing more than an illusion of the mind.

Sorry to get all philosophical here but this whole 'genetics' thing is mind boggling. You can't be a genetically good fighter. Just because someone is born into a family with a lineage of being nothing but doctors doesn't mean that person is going to naturally be a great doctor when they grow up.

Sorry to get all philosophical here but this whole 'genetics' thing is mind boggling. You can't be a genetically good fighter. Just because someone is born into a family with a lineage of being nothing but doctors doesn't mean that person is going to naturally be a great doctor when they grow up.

Genetics dont make you a great fighter, per say. However, genetics do play a significant role in general "athletic ability", from reflexes, to bone density, to fast twitch muscles, etc..... these are all traits that are part of a persons genetic make up. So do genetics make you a good fighter, NO. But, genetics do make some people more athletically capable than others, and athletic ability does play a significant role in becoming a great fighter. Not that someone who may not have the genetics cant be a good fighter, they certainly can. But genetics is directly related to athletic aptitude, which is a significant asset when becoming a fighter.

Also, heavy handed, scientifically speaking refers to a guy that has greater bone density. Heavy boned fighters tend most often to be the guys that are considered "heavy handed".

Genetics dont make you a great fighter, per say. However, genetics do play a significant role in general "athletic ability", from reflexes, to bone density, to fast twitch muscles, etc..... these are all traits that are part of a persons genetic make up. So do genetics make you a good fighter, NO. But, genetics do make some people more athletically capable than others, and athletic ability does play a significant role in becoming a great fighter. Not that someone who may not have the genetics cant be a good fighter, they certainly can. But genetics is directly related to athletic aptitude, which is a significant asset when becoming a fighter.

Also, heavy handed, scientifically speaking refers to a guy that has greater bone density. Heavy boned fighters tend most often to be the guys that are considered "heavy handed".

do you have any at all scientific evidence to back this statement up?

I'm really not getting something here.

Is this 'genetics' thing kind of like 'spirit' in the body because I don't know if there's been any scientific study that concluded that there is a 'fighting gene' that automatically makes you have canned ham for hands.

I think punching power can be developed just by proper technique and strength training. Explosiveness etc.

I was thinking of a genetic preference for muscle type. Fast twitch muscles and all that.

If some people are born naturally able to run faster, lift heavier, punch faster, etc.. then why can't people be born with the gift of a heavier punch?

Back