How to develop punching power/heavy hands

I was thinking of a genetic preference for muscle type. Fast twitch muscles and all that.

If some people are born naturally able to run faster, lift heavier, punch faster, etc.. then why can't people be born with the gift of a heavier punch?

this

I can't believe this is even a debate. Of course you can learn to punch harder, that is the whole point of proper technique. but once you actually get into the competition levels, nearly everyone has basic proper technique down.

but there are some people that are natural punchers, just like there are some natural jumpers, sprinters, and throwers.

Earnie Shavers talks about how when he first started training he could punch harder then anyone in the gym on his FIRST DAY.

Jeff Joslin posted a link to his E-book "Developing the KO Punch" a while back but I can't find the thread.

If you go to his site you can get a pdf of it by putting in your name and e-mail address. (in the upper right corner of his home page.)

MMA Technique, MMA Training, and Mixed Martial Arts Blog of Jeff "The Inferno" Joslin

It's a pretty good article imo that I was able to take away a couple of good ideas from and implement them into my game. My jab particularly has gotten a lot stiffer/harder (according to my training partners.)

You'll get future e-mails from Jeff but I'm sure you can unsubscirbe at any time if you aren't interested in his other stuff. I like checking out his articles and such myself.

A MMA guy is the last person I'd go to regarding punching advise, seeing the horrible level of punching displayed in the UFC and other orgs.

this

I can't believe this is even a debate. Of course you can learn to punch harder, that is the whole point of proper technique. but once you actually get into the competition levels, nearly everyone has basic proper technique down.

but there are some people that are natural punchers, just like there are some natural jumpers, sprinters, and throwers.

Earnie Shavers talks about how when he first started training he could punch harder then anyone in the gym on his FIRST DAY.

I think you would be surprised, even at competition level how many guys actually lack even the most basic proper technique, and that can be said for boxing, kick boxing and MMA.

I do however agree that some guys are just "naturals", George Foreman's first boxing coach (who name i cant recall) said that George could just lazily stand there and throw a shot at 50% at the pads and he felt like his arm was going to tear off at the shoulder.

A MMA guy is the last person I'd go to regarding punching advise, seeing the horrible level of punching displayed in the UFC and other orgs.

Jeff is a pretty damn good coach (accomplished as well), and his advice is definitely worth paying attention to. It is a bit ignorant of you to dismiss him or his advice because he is an "MMA" guy. Unless of course you have advice to offer that is superior to his, based on your accomplishments and experience......?.... I am guessing not!:confused:

Further, "MMA guys" may not have the refinement in there hands an elite boxer does, but there are plenty of "MMA guys" who can throw a good punch. Further, there are a whole lot of MMA coaches that are quite capable of teaching proper punching mechanics....... In MMA there is just a whole lot more to learn, so no one skill refines itself as much as a sport that focuses solely on that 1 skill (i.e: boxing-punching). But by no means does that make MMA guys "poor punchers", i assure you there are many of them that are excellent punchers. You see some horrible punching in MMA, sure! but you see the same damn thing in Boxing and MT as well.

Last edited:
Further, "MMA guys" may not have the refinement in there hands an elite boxer does, but there are plenty of "MMA guys" who can throw a good punch. Further, there are a whole lot of MMA coaches that are quite capable of teaching proper punching mechanics....... In MMA there is just a whole lot more to learn, so no one skill refines itself as much as a sport that focuses solely on that 1 skill (i.e: boxing-punching). But by no means does that make MMA guys "poor punchers", i assure you there are many of them that are excellent punchers. You see some horrible punching in MMA, sure! but you see the same damn thing in Boxing and MT as well.

Show me one MMA Fighter, who knows how to throw proper body shots, that actually do damage or knock someone down.

Show me one MMA Fighter, who knows how to throw proper body shots, that actually do damage or knock someone down.

There are more than a few guys who have used body shots well, Junior Dos Santos, BJ Penn, KJ Noons, Nog, Cain V, Anderson, etc..... As for knocking someone down, the only one that comes to mind is Pete Sell, right before he got KO'd by Smith. Further, you dont see that many body shot knockdowns in boxing either, much more common than MMA obviously. But MMA fighters tend to attack the body more with kicks and knees than they do punches. By no means does that mean MMA fighters dont know how to throw a proper body shot, many of them certainly do. They just choose to abandon body punching when they fight, why i am not sure. Let's not try to compare the hands of an elite boxer with MMA fighters, there not comparable. But that does not mean MMA guys cant or dont know how to use a technique (though for many that is the case) they just choose not to. MMA fighters have allot of offensive tools to work with, so it makes it far easier to overlook the effectiveness of any 1 particular skill..........

You also have to realize that throwing a body shot in MMA is a bit riskier with the 4oz gloves. Boxers often go to the body and know they may take a counter shot up top, but boxing often is more a war of attrition and boxers know that banging the body will give them a more vulnerable opponent in the later rounds and that risk is worth taking a shot or two up high. In MMA, with 4oz gloves it does not take as much to really hurt a guy, or cut a guy up. So throwing a body shot is a bit riskier a proposition.

Body shots don't always appear to cause immediate damage, but they do and the more you take the more it takes out of your opponent. It is a common misconception that head shots cause more damage, they do cause more visible damage. But getting hit in the head doesn't cause near the cumulative damage that getting hit in the body does. Yes, head shots end fights by knocking someone unconscious! no secret there. But a shot in the head is easier to shake off and recover from than one in the body. I would much rather take a shot in face that still left me standing, than a shot in the liver....... cause that shit will haunt you for the entire damn fight!

Last edited:

Sergei Kharitonov

Skip to about 4min mark here:

He always uses a right hook to the body, and his body shots were what largely took out Ninja Rua among others.

Last edited:
One of the very few natural talents I have is(relatively)heavy hands. I have always found Punching to be the easiest part of martial arts to learn and progress in. My own view is that proper technique can make anyone a good puncher. But only natural talent and intensive training will produce a great puncher.

Of course, this is the same as anything else. For example, every normal person can sprint 100m, but there's only one Mr Bolt.

Back