How to develop punching power/heavy hands

Yeah Imma Boss

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there any way to make yourself pack a better punch or is it just a natural gift to have?

Also what are some workouts/techniques toh help you punch harder

Last edited:
There's basically two schools of thought:

Theory 1: Punchers Are Born, Not Made

Pretty self-explanatory. Ppl like Mike Tyon, Cus Damato, Teddy Atlas, Kevin Rooney, etc, etc, all subscribe to this theory.

Theory 2: Punchers Are Made, Not Born

Jack Dempsey, one of the all-time-great Heavyweight boxing champion subscribed to this theory. Basically, Dempsey said that, through better technique, timing, speed, and skill, one could amplify his power and thus acheive a harder punch.

Good technique comprises of utilizing your quads (thighs), hips, glutes, back muscles, and pectorals in addition to proper form to deliver a devastating strike.

Futhermore, speed, timing and counterpunching skill can also intensify the power of your punch. As boxing champion Sugar Ray Robinson once said, "the hardest punch is the one you don't see coming" (or something to that effect). Basically, if you slip your opponent's punch, or throw your punch at the right time, you can catch him off guard and deliver an knockout punch.
Also, throwing your punch at fast speed can increase its impact (momentum = mass x velocity). The faster you throw your punch, the more momentum it will impact with.

From personal experience, I can tell you that working on technique/form is the best chance a fighter has of improving his punching power. Once you have the technique/form down, work on improving your speed and you should notice the difference in your punches.

At the same time, keep in mind that the "Punchers are born" theory is also a valid one. Many professional boxers have gone their entire careers without developing a knockout punch (keep in mind that these are people who box for a living. Sometimes a person is just not capable of knocking another man out).

Pretty self-explanatory. Ppl like Mike Tyon, Cus Damato, Teddy Atlas, Kevin Rooney, etc, etc, all subscribe to this theory.

Jack Dempsey, one of the all-time-great Heavyweight boxing champion subscribed to this theory. Basically, Dempsey said that, through better technique, timing, speed, and skill, one could amplify his power and thus acheive a harder punch.

Good technique comprises of utilizing your quads (thighs), hips, glutes, back muscles, and pectorals in addition to proper form to deliver a devastating strike.

Futhermore, speed, timing and counterpunching skill can also intensify the power of your punch. As boxing champion Sugar Ray Robinson once said, "the hardest punch is the one you don't see coming" (or something to that effect). Basically, if you slip your opponent's punch, or throw your punch at the right time, you can catch him off guard and deliver an knockout punch.
Also, throwing your punch at fast speed can increase its impact (momentum = mass x velocity). The faster you throw your punch, the more momentum it will impact with.

From personal experience, I can tell you that working on technique/form is the best chance a fighter has of improving his punching power. Once you have the technique/form down, work on improving your speed and you should notice the difference in your punches.

At the same time, keep in mind that the "Punchers are born" theory is also a valid one. Many professional boxers have gone their entire careers without developing a knockout punch (keep in mind that these are people who box for a living. Sometimes a person is just not capable of knocking another man out).

good post man! nice to see some intelligence on sherdog. although I agree with both, I tend to agree with #1 more. having better technique will help u punch harder but those tyson-like punchers are born like that. imo.

You can improve your power, certainly. If you have proper hip rotation, full extension, turn over your punches/ have good snap, and good form, then you should hit hard. It's also possible to increase power through the use of weight lifting, plyometrics (exercises that target fast twitch muscles by using explosive movements), and most importantly- practicing your boxing!

Sit down on your punches, make sure you have good form. I'd say for most people, they have trouble getting snap into their shots- the key is to turn over your punch at the last possible second, explosively. A good indicator to see if you have good pop in your shots is to observe the heavy bag- if it moves around a bunch, it means that it's not at the end of your range, and so you're pushing it. Make sure your target is at the end of your reach, as that's the point of highest velocity.

Every boxing coach Ive ever known has told me punching power is born not made, but precision and technique go a long way for KOing someone.

good post man! nice to see some intelligence on sherdog. although I agree with both, I tend to agree with #1 more. having better technique will help u punch harder but those tyson-like punchers are born like that. imo.

Thanks bro. Def agree with you on the Tyson part. Some ppl are just naturally gifted.

You can improve your power, certainly. If you have proper hip rotation, full extension, turn over your punches/ have good snap, and good form, then you should hit hard. It's also possible to increase power through the use of weight lifting, plyometrics (exercises that target fast twitch muscles by using explosive movements), and most importantly- practicing your boxing!

Sit down on your punches, make sure you have good form. I'd say for most people, they have trouble getting snap into their shots- the key is to turn over your punch at the last possible second, explosively. A good indicator to see if you have good pop in your shots is to observe the heavy bag- if it moves around a bunch, it means that it's not at the end of your range, and so you're pushing it. Make sure your target is at the end of your reach, as that's the point of highest velocity.

Agree with everything except the colored part.

In my experience, its better to aim for an imaginary spot behind your target.
You should try to keep him 3 to 4 inches before your reach ends.

For example, Kevin Rooney (Tyson's trainer) said that he'd make Mike aim for the back of his opponent's skull. Tyson would connect with a punch and attempt to "push his opponent's nose through his skull and try to make it come out the back of his head".

Doing this enables you to "snap" your opponent's head back and thus increase your chance of knocking him out.

Thanks bro. Def agree with you on the Tyson part. Some ppl are just naturally gifted.

For example, Kevin Rooney (Tyson's trainer) said that he'd make Mike aim for the back of his opponent's skull. Tyson would connect with a punch and attempt to "push his opponent's nose through his skull and try to make it come out the back of his head".

Doing this enables you to "snap" your opponent's head back and thus increase your chance of knocking him out.

I agree, you dont want your target at the end of your reach, you want to actually be trying to punch through your target.

Tyson said the reason why he koed people was because he was very fast for his size, and he was very accurate. He doesn't think he hits harder than foreman, foreman threw haymakers and would ko people hitting them anywhere. But tyson hit you with fast combos.

Punchers can be made. ONce boxing training catches up with the new type of training you will see.

training the hips is important. And the core

I've heard that One Arm Lever Presses (it might be called something different) help improve punching power. Personally, I've never tried it, but couple of my sparring partners have had excellent things to say about it.

Basically, it looks like this: Lever One Arm Press

Do two sets per arm.

They aren't mutually exclusive lines of thought, though. The names you listed a 1 would very much agree with frame of mind 2. But proper everything won't necessarily make a gigantic difference in power.

It's a hard subject. Outside of boxing I've seen heavy weightlifting doing wonders for people who are already had big knockout power (Shogun), massive muscular increase sending people like Overeem to another dimension, and proper conditioning and lifting taking plush-toy-handed people like Machida from -10 to somewhat 1 in terms of power.

There's no exact science for this. But if you want huge power, you're definitely relying on genetics.

Some great posts in here, despite this subject being beat to death. Nonetheless, "heavy hands", in my opinion is more genetics than anything else. Not that you cant become a harder puncher, you certainly can, but some guys just have "heavy hands" and I think that is much more attributable to genetics.

All that said, there seems to be a misconception that "heavy hands" are the trademark of a KO punchers. With that i disagree, a guy who is "heavy handed" is not necessarily a great KO puncher....... Learning to throw KO punches and being a KO puncher is something that is achievable with or without heavy hands, and there is a long list of KO punchers who were not notoriously known for being "heavy handed", I.E: Roy Jones, Sugar Ray Leonard, Willie Pep, Nonito Donaire.....etc.....

It's technique, no matter what advantages you have due to genetics. Anyone can develop a good punch if they're taught the most efficient movements, with the right muscles, at the right time.

It's technique, no matter what advantages you have due to genetics. Anyone can develop a good punch if they're taught the most efficient movements, with the right muscles, at the right time.

and yet some professional boxers cannot consistently KO their opponents despite having top notch everything

Find a good boxing coach.
Pay attention, train hard.

Some great posts in here, despite this subject being beat to death.

Yeah, no kidding. It is an interesting topic, though. And, IMHO while genetics certainly plays a very large role, I hardly think we can rule out proper training and technique, combined with years of practice and utilization of the same, to maximize punching power. The truth is they are both connected, and so hopelessly intertwined, we would have better luck figuring out which came first, the chicken or the egg.

I must admit, that I do get quite a kick out of anyone who adamantly argues one line of thinking over another. I wonder how many people who believe that punchers are absolutely born, believe that they "personally" fall into that category? Because, if you don't, I guess it is off to jazzercise aerobics for you. :icon_lol: That is unless you are interested in everything going to the judges decision, and winning on points.

And, maybe they could point me to a definitively conclusive scientic study, that has been validated, concerning the "fact" that punchers are born. And, no I am not interested in hearing the history of boxing, regurgated from a book, complete with names of famous people who said this, or that. Just direct me to the conclusive scientific study. I would really enjoy reading it.

On the other side of the coin, good genetics are only enhanced with proper training, so virtually "almost" everyone can benefit to a certain extent from proper training. So, why not make the most of what you have, because the genetic aspect has been pretty well determined for you.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
Is there any way to make yourself pack a better punch or is it just a natural gift to have?

Proper instruction, proper training, proper diet, increase your strength and stamina, and, "work the bag, don't let it work you."

:icon_chee

I was talking about when you're working a heavy bag. If you're getting too close to the bag, and it's swinging all over the place, then your punches don't have any snap; that's what I was trying to enumerate.

I understand the whole "punch through the target" concept, but typically that's something trainers say to people who don't have full extension on their punches. And it's something that you have to be careful with, because you don't want to teach people to overextend.

From a physics perspective, (for straight punches) you want your punch to land right before your arm reaches full extension. This is where the punch has the most velocity, and with good snap it should impart as much impact/ force as possible.

and yet some professional boxers cannot consistently KO their opponents despite having top notch everything

Well yeah. Just because you know how you should do something doesn't mean you CAN do it. That, in combination with all the factors that might affect whether someone goes out...the other guy has something to do with it of course...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back