How to develop punching power/heavy hands

I would, but noone knows who the fuck they are, considering that they're no named tomato cans. Also, he hasn't "knocked out" 8 opponents, he only has 2 straight KO wins.

Your missing the point. I never said he KO'd the very best in the sport, I simply said he has KO stoppages. This is undeniable. Almost every pro with a winning record does.

TS asked about developing punching power. I am simply stating that following a training regime as commonly found in boxing will develop that power. Of course there are levels of power, Yuri is obviously at the lower end of the scale.

There's a difference between having KO power and being able to KO all your opponents. If a fighter has a single knockout win, then they have KO power. If a fighter has lots of KO wins then they have KO power AND great skill.

Also, the fighters Foreman finished might not have been at the top of their class, but they are professional fighters nonetheless. How many pros have you KO'ed?

Of course he is capable of KO'ing a guy, but he is far from a natural KO puncher.......

Then you basically agreed with my statement. He has KO power. Exactly.

I NEVER said anything about him being a natural, or the best power puncher or anything at all of the sort. Just that he does have the power to effect a knockout, as does anyone with a knockout win.

Having the power to KO someone in is achieved through regular proper training. Having the ability to use it effectively against trained fighters is something different altogether.

I'll reiterate, TS asked only how to develop the raw power. Who knows what he needs it for? And he will be able to develop power by following proper fundamental boxing training.

If he wants to be world champion well that's a completely different conversation, but that's not what the thread is about. I am also not claiming anything about Yuri Foremans power other than that he does have it, as do most pros. We can argue all day about his ability to use it.

Train Technique 1st, then for power. Hit the heavy bag

No!

Just think about it. How would making contact at the very end of your punch hurt more than make contact about half way through, and then finishing it? Keeping in mind that your fist won't slow down when it makes contact, seems like common sense that hitting at the end of your punch isn't as powerful.

I'm trying to be patient here, but you honestly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Obviously your fucking punch slows down, there's a goddamn head in the way of it. Your punch picks up speed as it extends, from the transfer of momentum through hip rotation, shoulder extension, etc. Look at this gif- Carwin's punch lands maybe 3 inches before it's fully extended, and Carwin has undeniable KO power.

shane-carwin_christian-wellisch.gif

If a punch is mid- flight, sure it will have some power, but a punch reaches it's terminal velocity right before the end of it's flight.

Any knowledgable physicist/ striking coach will tell you this, and i'm sorry if this doesn't make sense to you, but you honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I meant to say the person's head shouldn't stop it, actually. There should still be some distance to go.

I think you're trying a little too hard to be right. These things are difficult to describe on a computer. It's kind of pointless.

If a punch is mid- flight, sure it will have some power, but a punch reaches it's terminal velocity right before the end of it's flight.

Any knowledgable physicist/ striking coach will tell you this, and i'm sorry if this doesn't make sense to you, but you honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about.

First off - your completely disregarding the most important element of the punch, quick tip..... it makes no damn difference where the glove or fist is at "in flight", whether with nearly no extension or fully extended..... The important part is at which point in the punching motion the hips, core, lower body are relative to the punch. Your getting caught up on where the arm or fist is at...... Carwin's gif you show below, I promise that if you watch that in slo mo, he makes initial contact with a pretty good bend in the arm far more than 3 inches, the follow through is more than half the motion from where his fist hits to where it ends, and the result would have been the same if he landed that shot a little shorter as well.....

Go find the KO clip from Tyson vs. Golata, or Watch RJJ knockdown of Tito Trinidad...... Or Fedor KO Rodgers....... all really short punches.

So what specific exercises improve punching power? Does hitting the heavy bag help? Clap push ups? Are explosive pushing exercises preffered over explosive pulling exercises? Thanks.

Your missing the point. I never said he KO'd the very best in the sport, I simply said he has KO stoppages. This is undeniable. Almost every pro with a winning record does.

TS asked about developing punching power. I am simply stating that following a training regime as commonly found in boxing will develop that power. Of course there are levels of power, Yuri is obviously at the lower end of the scale.

There's a difference between having KO power and being able to KO all your opponents. If a fighter has a single knockout win, then they have KO power. If a fighter has lots of KO wins then they have KO power AND great skill.

Also, the fighters Foreman finished might not have been at the top of their class, but they are professional fighters nonetheless. How many pros have you KO'ed?

Nah man, YOU'RE missing the point. When we discuss professional athletes, elite level athletes, KO power refers to the ability to seriously hurt or knockout other elite level fighters, not just the ability to KO some shmuck. Rampage has knockout power- he KO'd Chuck at the height of his reign, he KO'd Wanderlei, and he dropped elite fighters like Forrest, Jardine (when he was still ranked/ relevant), & Rashad. Michael Bisping, on the other hand, does NOT have KO power. He's stopped guys like Jason Day & Dennis Kang with volume, but he doesn't knock guys down or rock them, and he has very few KO wins.

As for that last part, that's not even relevant. I don't need to be a pro fighter to give my opinion/ analysis of a pro fighter. You're creating a straw man there, that doesn't have anything to do with the argument. Your definition of KO power is different than the general consensus opinion. Via wiki:

Punching power is a term that describes the amount of momentum in a person's punches. Knockout power is a more specific term for the probability of any strike to the head to cause unconsciousness in an opponent (usually referred to as a knockout). Knockout power is related to the impulse delivered and precision of the strike.
[edit]
Fighters Considered to Possess "Knockout Power"

Rocky Marciano
Ray Sefo
David Tua
Mark Hunt
In-Chul Baek
Alistair Overeem
Chuck Liddell
Wanderlei Silva
Takanori Gomi
George Foreman
Jack Dempsey
Shane Carwin
Igor Vovchanchyn
Mike Tyson
Gerald McClellan
Julian Jackson
Rampage Jackson
Dan Henderson
Mirko Cro Cop
Wilfredo Gomez
Edwin Valero
John Mugabi
Kelly Pavlik
Manny Pacquiao
Wladimir Klitschko
Dan Hardy
Vitali Klitschko
Paul Daley
Thiago Silva
Melvin Manhoef
Anderson Silva
Fedor Emelianenko
Sergei Kharitonov
Anthony Johnson
Bas Rutten
Thiago Alves
Chris Leben
Vitor Belfort
Junior dos Santos

First off - your completely disregarding the most important element of the punch, quick tip..... it makes no damn difference where the glove or fist is at "in flight", whether with nearly no extension or fully extended..... The important part is at which point in the punching motion the hips, core, lower body are relative to the punch. Your getting caught up on where the arm or fist is at...... Carwin's gif you show below, I promise that if you watch that in slo mo, he makes initial contact with a pretty good bend in the arm far more than 3 inches, the follow through is more than half the motion from where his fist hits to where it ends, and the result would have been the same if he landed that shot a little shorter as well.....

Go find the KO clip from Tyson vs. Golata, or Watch RJJ knockdown of Tito Trinidad...... Or Fedor KO Rodgers....... all really short punches.

Short punches can result in KO's as can fully extended punches. Both techniques are valid.

I think most would agree the timing is the crucial element. Even the most powerful punch is nullified it you see it coming. The boxing adage "The punch that you don't see coming is the one that hurts the most" rings true here. Long or short, it's the timing that is the dangerous element.

You're taking that quote out of context. I was explaining that with a straight punch, the height of velocity is at the end of the punch, when the hips are fully rotated and the punch is nearly fully extended. I'm not getting caught up with where the hand is, i'm simply explaining that a straight punch with good technique will reach it's terminal velocity when the hips have rotated, and the punch is almost fully extended.

I wasn't talking about hooks, uppercuts (RJJ vs. Trinidad), overhands (Tyson/ Golota, Fedor/ Rogers), whatever else.

So what specific exercises improve punching power? Does hitting the heavy bag help? Clap push ups? Are explosive pushing exercises preffered over explosive pulling exercises? Thanks.

Hitting the bag will certainly help, and so does hitting the mitts. Just make sure you have good technique while you're hitting the bag.

And yes, clap- pushups help, as they're a plyometric exercise. Pushing exercises will help you punch harder, but you should always work antagonist muscles as well, although pushups work your back muscles as well. I'd recommend this Plyo MMA workout:
Stair jumps: These will work your glutes, abdominals, and quads very extensively. You should start off by jumping only two stairs at once, and then work your way up to three or four. Remember to come down into the squat position when you land or it'll be difficult to maintain balance.

Depth jumps: Depth jumps are a classic plyometric exercise. You tense the muscle in as you jump off a small platform and then explode up onto a bigger one. It's fairly easy to injure yourself with these, so make sure you do them correctly. If it starts to hurt at any time, then you should stop.

Medicine Ball Side Throw: This is a great exercise that'll work your core, specifically the abdominals and obliques. You'll need a partner to do this one effectively, although it is possible alone (you'll need something to throw the ball against, though.)

Plyometric push-ups: These are fantastic for working your upper body, but you'll want to make sure you don't injure your shoulders while doing them. These are also known as septh push ups. I can't stress how important it is to warm up properly before doing this exercise.

You're taking that quote out of context. I was explaining that with a straight punch, the height of velocity is at the end of the punch, when the hips are fully rotated and the punch is nearly fully extended. I'm not getting caught up with where the hand is, i'm simply explaining that a straight punch with good technique will reach it's terminal velocity when the hips have rotated, and the punch is almost fully extended.

I wasn't talking about hooks, uppercuts (RJJ vs. Trinidad), overhands (Tyson/ Golota, Fedor/ Rogers), whatever else.

That part, I fully agree with!

RJJ vs. Trinidad - overhand right (right hook)

Tyson vs. Golata - straight right hand, just got deflected off Golata's face

Fedor vs. Rodgers- uhhhh..... Flying Fedor special?

Last edited:
Nah man, YOU'RE missing the point. When we discuss professional athletes, elite level athletes, KO power refers to the ability to seriously hurt or knockout other elite level fighters, not just the ability to KO some shmuck. Rampage has knockout power- he KO'd Chuck at the height of his reign, he KO'd Wanderlei, and he dropped elite fighters like Forrest, Jardine (when he was still ranked/ relevant), & Rashad. Michael Bisping, on the other hand, does NOT have KO power. He's stopped guys like Jason Day & Dennis Kang with volume, but he doesn't knock guys down or rock them, and he has very few KO wins.

As for that last part, that's not even relevant. I don't need to be a pro fighter to give my opinion/ analysis of a pro fighter. You're creating a straw man there, that doesn't have anything to do with the argument. Your definition of KO power is different than the general consensus opinion.

The only straw man here is the one you are making. Re-read what I said about levels of power. Rampage & Bisping both have KO power, but Rampages skill sets him apart and gives him the ability to use it better. I'm not saying Bisping is a KO artist at all.

The last part is definately relevant. You have mentioned your training a few times in this thread to validate your knowledge. Fair enough. Remember though just because a fighter doesn't have a winning record doesn't mean they can't fight. Not every boxer has Floyd's record.

And using a wiki entry to prove a "general consensus opinion" just shows how desperate you are to try and prove your right. This isn't about right or wrong, it's about helping TS with ways to develop power. So far I've suggested proper coaching and regular training using boxing methods that are well known.

All you have suggested is that your ego is so fragile you can't handle someone else disagreeing with it. Why don't you suggest some ways to help TS instead of talking about your own training and how right you are all the time? (edit: I'm glad to see you've added some ways to improve power).

On a side note, I bet every one of those fighters you referred to as a "tomato can" would whup your ass in the ring. I wonder if you would admit they have KO power after they knock you out cold? You should show more respect to people who actually fight for a living. Your reluctance to talk about your own record just proves that you whilst you might train, you certainly aren't a fighter.

Some exercises to improve punching power (some of which have been mentioned)

- Heavy Bag Work (Punch Out drills aka Olympic Drills)
- Mitt Work with your trainer
- Punch Shield Ladders (1-10 punches in a row etc)
- Sprinting (legs & hips are important in punching as much as any other part)
- Olympic Lifting
- Kettlebell work (such as snatches or other explosive movements)
- Resistance Bands (sold by Lifeline USA and others)
- Any core work with Medicine Balls to increase mobility and explosiveness of the trunk

Each of these methods has hundreds of articles, DVD's and other literature to support it and are easily found via the web. I suggest trying a few out, seeing which ones you like and going with those. Also, ask your trainer for their help in constructing a program. Good luck!

The only straw man here is the one you are making. Re-read what I said about levels of power. Rampage & Bisping both have KO power, but Rampages skill sets him apart and gives him the ability to use it better. I'm not saying Bisping is a KO artist at all.

The last part is definately relevant. You have mentioned your training a few times in this thread to validate your knowledge. Fair enough. Remember though just because a fighter doesn't have a winning record doesn't mean they can't fight. Not every boxer has Floyd's record.

And using a wiki entry to prove a "general consensus opinion" just shows how desperate you are to try and prove your right. This isn't about right or wrong, it's about helping TS with ways to develop power. So far I've suggested proper coaching and regular training using boxing methods that are well known.

All you have suggested is that your ego is so fragile you can't handle someone else disagreeing with it. Why don't you suggest some ways to help TS instead of talking about your own training and how right you are all the time? (edit: I'm glad to see you've added some ways to improve power).

On a side note, I bet every one of those fighters you referred to as a "tomato can" would whup your ass in the ring. I wonder if you would admit they have KO power after they knock you out cold? You should show more respect to people who actually fight for a living. Your reluctance to talk about your own record just proves that you whilst you might train, you certainly aren't a fighter.

You're just wrong there. Bisping is actually a very good technical striker, but he doesn't have good power. Rampage, however, has massive power and is also a good technical boxer.

And it's not relevant. I have technical knowledge because i've trained and studied the sport extensively; being a fighter or not has no bearing on this argument. You bringing it up obfuscates the original issue, which is the strawman in this situation. I'm not trying to disrespect those guys, but the fact of the matter is, in the world of pro boxing, those guys that Yuri stopped are nobodies. I don't have to be a well- respected professional to say that; I respect those guys and think they're all warriors, however they simply aren't relevant in the upper echelon of the boxing world.

I used the wiki entry to support that in general, people tend to think of knockout power as having EXTRAORDINARY power, not just the ability to punch a non- competitive journeyman into oblivion. It's not desperation, wikipedia is a good source of generic knowledge.

Obviously I put up some suggestions for improving punching power, and the fact that you didn't erase your accusations after the edit shows that you're the ego-maniac here.

And then you go back to the personal attack; for the uneducated, that's called an ad- hominem, and it's a well documented fallacy of logic. As I said before, my professional boxing/ fighting experience bears no relevance to this argument, but you keep bringing it up. I'm equally positive that those guys would knock me out, i'm a vocal performance major at a catholic university who casually trains MMA, those guys are professional boxers. But again- that wasn't even my argument. I was saying that Yuri Foreman doesn't have knockout power, I never talked about his opponents. And i'm sure that Yuri Foreman would knock me out, but he's a world ranked boxer, and again- i'm a college student, who has no designs on ever fighting pro.

He'd especially knock me out now, considering that I just strained my MCL at wrestling today. Bummer, i'll probably be out of training for 3 weeks to a month.

You're just wrong there. Bisping is actually a very good technical striker, but he doesn't have good power. Rampage, however, has massive power and is also a good technical boxer.

And it's not relevant. I have technical knowledge because i've trained and studied the sport extensively; being a fighter or not has no bearing on this argument. You bringing it up obfuscates the original issue, which is the strawman in this situation. I'm not trying to disrespect those guys, but the fact of the matter is, in the world of pro boxing, those guys that Yuri stopped are nobodies. I don't have to be a well- respected professional to say that; I respect those guys and think they're all warriors, however they simply aren't relevant in the upper echelon of the boxing world.

I used the wiki entry to support that in general, people tend to think of knockout power as having EXTRAORDINARY power, not just the ability to punch a non- competitive journeyman into oblivion. It's not desperation, wikipedia is a good source of generic knowledge.

Obviously I put up some suggestions for improving punching power, and the fact that you didn't erase your accusations after the edit shows that you're the ego-maniac here.

And then you go back to the personal attack; for the uneducated, that's called an ad- hominem, and it's a well documented fallacy of logic. As I said before, my professional boxing/ fighting experience bears no relevance to this argument, but you keep bringing it up. I'm equally positive that those guys would knock me out, i'm a vocal performance major at a catholic university who casually trains MMA[/B], those guys are professional boxers. But again- that wasn't even my argument. I was saying that Yuri Foreman doesn't have knockout power, I never talked about his opponents. And i'm sure that Yuri Foreman would knock me out, but he's a world ranked boxer, and again- i'm a college student, who has no designs on ever fighting pro.

He'd especially knock me out now, considering that I just strained my MCL at wrestling today. Bummer, i'll probably be out of training for 3 weeks to a month.

- You respect them yet call them "tomato cans"? That's just silly.

- Wikipedia is a source of subjective information, extremely unreliable. Using Wikipedia for a thread about boxing technique is even worse.

- I was writing my response as you posted your advice (which looks like it was copied from somewhere else, a cursory internet search perhaps?). Why would you borrow someone elses training exercises when you yourself claim to have such technical knowledge from your own training? Sounds like you talk the talk and not much else.

- Exactly as I thought. A fan of MMA who trains casually. You are entitled to your opinion, but you've shown great disrespect to many who have entered the ring. Especially when you yourself have not.

- I am genuinely sorry for you not being able to train, that sucks.

I'm glad you are trying to help the TS, but in this case, it seems you think you know a lot more about training than you actually do. Why not just admit your inexperienced and offer to help anyway? Why are you obsessed with proving you are right even when you have admitted you have little direct knowledge outside of observing the sport?

And then you go back to the personal attack; for the uneducated, that's called an ad- hominem, and it's a well documented fallacy of logic.

Ad hominem would be telling you that your a self professed catholic choirboy whose MMA experience probably consists of hitting the mitts at your local curves fitness centre then reading MMA books before bed.

You have no fight experience whatsoever, yet you are talking smack about pros who would destroy you with both hands behind their back and not even break sweat. Your also trying to tell people about punching technique when the most experience you've ever had is punching your dorm buddies donuts after choir practice.

I bet your MMA training consists of your priest showing you how to do a triangle choke over and over again, then sodomizing you and calling it "ground and pound".

GTFO out of this thread, you obviously have no idea what the hell your talking about. Go buy another Tapout shirt and drink some Xyience on the way to choir practice you wuss. Leave the real work to the "tomato cans", and the internet training for you and the rest of the keyboard warriors.

- You respect them yet call them "tomato cans"? That's just silly.

- Wikipedia is a source of subjective information, extremely unreliable. Using Wikipedia for a thread about boxing technique is even worse.

- I was writing my response as you posted your advice (which looks like it was copied from somewhere else, a cursory internet search perhaps?). Why would you borrow someone elses training exercises when you yourself claim to have such technical knowledge from your own training? Sounds like you talk the talk and not much else.

- Exactly as I thought. A fan of MMA who trains casually. You are entitled to your opinion, but you've shown great disrespect to many who have entered the ring. Especially when you yourself have not.

- I am genuinely sorry for you not being able to train, that sucks.

I'm glad you are trying to help the TS, but in this case, it seems you think you know a lot more about training than you actually do. Why not just admit your inexperienced and offer to help anyway? Why are you obsessed with proving you are right even when you have admitted you have little direct knowledge outside of observing the sport?

Ad hominem would be telling you that your a self professed catholic choirboy whose MMA experience probably consists of hitting the mitts at your local curves fitness centre then reading MMA books before bed.

You have no fight experience whatsoever, yet you are talking smack about pros who would destroy you with both hands behind their back and not even break sweat. Your also trying to tell people about punching technique when the most experience you've ever had is punching your dorm buddies donuts after choir practice.

I bet your MMA training consists of your priest showing you how to do a triangle choke over and over again, then sodomizing you and calling it "ground and pound".

GTFO out of this thread, you obviously have no idea what the hell your talking about. Go buy another Tapout shirt and drink some Xyience on the way to choir practice you wuss. Leave the real work to the "tomato cans", and the internet training for you and the rest of the keyboard warriors.

Ok, point by point:

-I said I respect them for getting in the ring against a guy like Yuri Foreman. However, a guy with a 12-19 record is the definition of a tomato can. Sorry, but that's just common accepted boxing terminology. Whether I could beat them in a fight is irrelevant.

-Wikipedia is actually a good source of generic info, as I said; they have editors who do quality checks, and although I would never source it in a paper, it is perfectly fine for A FUCKING SHERDOG THREAD. And it's fine for this one in particular, because I was trying to enumerate what knockout power is considered to be, as opposed to your retarded definition of it.

- I've done that plyo workout before, that's why I recommended it. Sure, I got it online, but it was a ballbuster workout, and I felt like it helped my explosiveness out.

- I don't feel like i've disrespected these fighters as much as you're suggesting. I said Yuri Foreman doesn't have good knockout power, and I said that the guys he did KO weren't close to being considered elite opposition.

- And there we go, you being a dick. Before the ad hominem was subtle, now you just came out with it. I'm not 'obsessed' with proving myself right, but you're gratuitously insulting my intelligence, and making claims about things which you have no knowledge on.

I have 6 months of experience at boxing/ jits gyms, and I trained at Xtreme Couture in Vegas for 3 months last summer and a month at the beginning of this summer. I don't give a shit whether you think i'm inexperienced or not, because the opinion of an insulting Sherdog dolt isn't something that can get a rouse out of me.

And for all the shit you've talked, the workout you provided is very non-specific for punching power, and incredibly generic. The workout I listed can be done all at one time, works all muscle groups in the body, and are all geared towards generating explosive power for MMA/ kickboxing/ boxing.

So, to sum up... lick my 12 inch taint.

PS- I'm not catholic, or christian, or anything for that matter. But it's good to see that you're not only an asshole, but also a religion intolerant prick.

I have 6 months of experience at boxing/ jits gyms, and I trained at Xtreme Couture in Vegas for 3 months last summer and a month at the beginning of this summer. I don't give a shit whether you think i'm inexperienced or not, because the opinion of an insulting Sherdog dolt isn't something that can get a rouse out of me.

This is the only relevant information to your ability to give advice to anyone in this thread. You have 6 months experience. Even if you went 8 hours a day every day your still very, very green. You shouldn't be advising anybody on ANYTHING. I'm sorry you think your tiny amount of training makes you an expert, but it doesn't, and your not.

I see kids like you from time to time in the gym. In fact I saw one last night, he came in and did a few rounds on the heavy bag, grunting profusely and basically letting the bag work him. He then proceeds to tell one of our pro's who was doing KB snatches (A better exercise than anything you've put forward) that lifting will make him musclebound and slow. Maybe he was right, after all the pro has a record of 12-5 so I guess he's just another useless tomato can who should be listening to the likes of you who has spent a WHOLE summer at an MMA gym. Wow, Greg Nelson should watch out- he's got some fierce competition!!

You deserve to be insulted, because you are a keyboard warrior in denial. Training and fighting are two different things, but you'll never realise this because you'll probably be out injured all the time with improper self prescribed training methods and flawed technique that you taught yourself from a book.

6 months training is not enough time to have learnt anything well enough to give you the right to teach it. Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, anything. / Thread.

Back