How tf do you explain Aldo?

I think Aldo is shot. The matchup is just good for him. He is still fast but his reaction time isn't great. It's all big explosive movement and slips. He slows down considerably if someone is able to push the pace.

I respect you too, but I don't rate Aldo as high as many on here and yes, I watched him.in the WEC

Being great isn't about beating those you are supposed to beat, but beating those you are not supposed to. Unless you are Floyd, Jones or khabib who just keep winning

Aldo was amazing but he did lose to the other goat candidates and hasn't a single victory over them

Ali wasn't supposed to beat Liston or Foreman
Duran wasn't supposed to beat Ray first time round

These type of wins are what makes legends. Yes Aldo has had a sterling career, no doubt. However, when it's all said and done the history books will have him 0-4 against his main rivals with 3 tko/ko losses

Just my 2 cents, have a good night my man!
I've grown to be an Aldo fan (not a big fan during his prime), but the GOAT candidate stuff is hard to analyze since Aldo was a FW from the earliest days of the weight class in the UFC. He beat some of the best fighters of the early era (Mike Brown and Faber in WEC; Edgar/Mendes/others in the UFC). Edgar is still tied with Khabib, BJ and Bendo for the most LW title defenses, so I'd say he was a very formidable opponent at the time.

It's kind of like analyzing NHB/MMA in the 90s, when all the best fighters were pioneers and the sport was evolving too fast for anyone to become a GOAT or hold a title for a decade.

I just watched that fight. With all the chatter on the forums, you'd think he was back to his WEC world killer days and could go against Volk right now

Just calm down guys.....He looked good but not great

37 years old. Well past his prime. Fighting over well over 10 years and still so skilled and composed. Dude had the chance to finish in the third round and showed the new guy mercy.
I was already impressed that he was the only one who merab couldn't simply drown and after two years off, he comes back and wins easily. His head movement and leg kick defense was so good.
How the fuck do you explain Aldo?

Freak of nature. Genetic abnormality.

Aldo is a legit athlete and always has been. Dude has been a top 10 fighter in multiple weight classes after the age of 35

I explain Aldo like this. The greatest champ to lose to the biggest bum.
<Neil01>

1. He has always been a very good fighter and came prepared like the pro he is

2. Had time off to fully recover and regain his passion to train before this fight

3. Fight was where he was comfortable and had massive support in Brazil

4. Opponent was freaked out by the big stage and at fighting a legend

It’s key to remember that before 2010, the UFC didn’t have the 145lbs and 135lbs divisions. The WEC was the top league for these weights, and that needs to be factored into Jose Aldo’s career.

Aldo made his WEC debut in 2008 and notched five straight knockouts to earn a title fight against Mike Brown, whom he finished in the second round.

After defending his WEC title twice, he transitioned to the UFC and defended the inaugural FW belt against Mark Hominick at UFC 129 in 2011.

Aldo defended that title six times until 2014 before losing it to Conor McGregor. He quickly recaptured the vacant title by dominating former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, though he later lost it to Max Holloway.

Aldo came back by finishing two top 10 featherweight contenders, Jeremy Stephens and Renato Moicano, but then lost to future champ Alexander Volkanovski.

When many would contemplate retirement, Aldo dropped to 135lbs and faced former champion Marlon Moraes, narrowly losing in a split decision, but still earning a title shot.

And despite a loss to champion Petr Yan, he won three consecutive fights against top 10 ranked opponents Marlon Vera, Rob Font and Pedro Munhoz, but then lost to future top contender Merab Dvalishvili and retired.

Not done yet, Aldo stepped into the boxing ring for two pro fights, then made a successful return at UFC 301, dominating a dangerous top 10 ranked prospect.

2008-2024, 16 years performing at the highest level. 22 wins, 16 title fights, 9 title defenses (UFC + WEC). When legends like Holloway and Volk claim that Jose Aldo is the GOAT, this is why.

Last edited:
Jose Aldo is the greatest Featherweight of all time, one of the best pure athletes in MMA history. He's also fairly massive for 135lbs and to he honest, matches up well vs a still largely unproven Martinez. Martinez hype comes from his decision win vs Said Nurmagomedov...who most scored for Said, a controversial decision. And the other is Martinez beating Yanez who was a talented and hyped but unproven prospect who's since been pretty fucking exposed.

I don't think Aldo at this stage is winning any titles but honestly, there's a lot of exposable top 10 guys he can still beat like Chito (he already did but could again, Chito isn't good) probably Font and Cejudo too.
Imagine Aldo vs Figueiredo.
This ridiculous reaction to a 37-year-old former champ decisioning a card filler guy is just absurd.
He first won the title at 23 and still looks elite. With every Aldo fight we're wondering if this is where he falls off due to age yet he keeps chugging along.

Imagine Aldo vs Figueiredo.

He first won the title at 23 and still looks elite. With every Aldo fight we're wondering if this is where he falls off due to age yet he keeps chugging along.

I was going to mention Figgy. There's some cool options, I'm just not too interested in him contending, personally. Cruz, Cejudo, Figgy are where it's at. Or of Aljo catches a tough loss at 145 and wants to go back down.

I do think we saw a decline in Aldo though, when he went away from the dynamic kicking and knees. When his cardio got exposed vs Hominick and then exploited badly by Max a couple times and eventually Yan. Similarly but in different ways Volk and Merab exposed Aldo too, you can't take the guy down and control him but you can press him against the fence and force him to constantly work and...he tends to just default to giving up rounds to reserve energy because he doesn't trust his tank. Besides that young Aldo was just a little more empathic.

But he's definitely still world class and if he plays his cards right, wins a couple more vs old names, he could totally slide in for 1 more title shot and payday, I just don't want to see it. He's a super solved fighter.

Lets hope so sir.
Im tired of hearing about that criminal little leprechaun lol.
I'm gonna break your little northern flute tootin' heart, Conor is gonna make easy work of Chandler. I hate saying it because these boards are gonna think Conor is back to full form or some shit, when in reality it's the perfect matchup for Conor. Most everyone else beats Conor.

20 years my man.
He took that Conor loss at 10 years or so. That was the initial decline, but he was just so good he worked out a new style, re won his belt and dropped a division to nearly capture the one in the division below.

He’s just an all time great that hasn’t lost the dog. Guys like him are not to be underestimated

I'm gonna break your little northern flute tootin' heart, Conor is gonna make easy work of Chandler. I hate saying it because these boards are gonna think Conor is back to full form or some shit, when in reality it's the perfect matchup for Conor. Most everyone else beats Conor.

I called that when they announced the matchup so I fully support your rant here lol.

Back