How strong and how fast do you think ufc guys are ?

Depends on the UFC fighter to be honest. I think it has to do with their core sport if they have one + how they train. I would imagine grappling with Romero or Henderson would feel like you're getting banged by a bear. But there are guys that probably aren't gorilla strong hit like a truck, like Conor McGregor. Muscles really confuse a lot of people because you get big muscles by lifting weights and the assumption is BIG muscles = VERY strong but that isn't always the case.

How long is a string?
Too damn long!
Sid-Haig-as-Captain-Spaulding-in-House-of-1000-Corpses.png

So I almost don't get any serious answer.
Everyone shitting on ufc athletes' supposed E-level athleticism but noone has some figures to actually back it up.

I don't think theres much figures out there to compare them to NFL players, but no one really cares. These guys aren't the best because of just speed and strength. Toughness Technique and knowledge has alot to do with it too. Ex. Lesnar running away from carwin and Cain. He got lucky enough to be champ in a weak division because he was big and juiced but that doesn't cut it anymore

Last edited:
In my prime I had the same 40 time as Greg Hardy, And the same verticle as Lesnar. Expect I was 180 at the time and thought I was the shit,lolol. I have wanted an NFL style combine for ever. Just get a series of tests, And when you sign with the ufc, Go to the P.I and get an evaluation. That punch machine they have would be a perfect starting point.

Well, there have been guys at HW that have done very well in those combines

zfG8oaul.png

The thing is, these things don't really matter for MMA, especially the benching stats. There's no real benefit in MMA for benching. Look at Strong man Zaromskis (splng?) he gassed very quickly when fighting in MMA and eventually had to slim down a bit.

I'm surprised how low Greg's bench numbers are

He must have been injured

Wickid fookin strong and wickid fookin fast guy

It's easy. Use Gregg hardy as a baseline

Gregg hardy was a mediocre football player who's making it in the ufc

So take a mediocre guy from the ufc roster and see if they can make it on Tulsa university's practice squad

Athleticism has different meanings across different sports. MMA is generally a more cardio-intensive sport compared to football for example. Obviously, there isn't a straight line between athletic ability and fighting ability (although there is a correlation of sorts, like it or not).

In terms of the attributes that cut across all sports like speed/quickness/strength/dexterity, I have a hard time believing MMA athletes are on par with football/basketball in America.

Usually those kids/teens get selected out into the bigger sports fairly early, at least in the States.

I'm not sure how it is in other countries though. Does soccer swallow up the good athletes in Europe/Brazil?

I bet the good athletes in the Caucus region actually do go into wrestling. Perhaps Russia as well (maybe?).

Yeah but because those sports don't have weight classes all the talent goes into one pool instead of being spread out. Which is why Flyweight and Heavyweight in MMA is so shit, the talent pools are shallow as fuck.

Brain damage in the NFL isn't as well known. People barely even discussed it until recently. Meanwhile in boxing it's been common knowledge for longer than a century.
Your original argument was "there is a small talent pool for MMA compared to other sports." My counter on why that is incorrect is "a larger number of people can participate in MMA compared to other sports (which require above average size) due to weight classes." Not for nothing, the largest weight classes are LW and WW, which correspond roughly with the average weight of Western men when adjusting for the weight cut.

I have no idea what your reply has to do with that.

Flyweight is poor as a division because there indeed not many men who can meet that weight requirement, but back to my earlier point, Mighty Mouse ain't ever gonna be a NFL running back. Heavyweight is poor because the big men prefer to compete in sports that are much more lucrative (and also require that aforementioned size).

TBI in the NFL has been known to the general public for nearly a decade now, and we've seen no decrease in the number of young men entering the NLF in that time or the foreseeable future. Note I said "general public." Players have known the sport takes a heavy toll on the brain for decades. I spoke with Gary Fencik a couple years ago, and I asked about TBI during his time in the NFL. He said something along the lines of "We all knew it was doing damage to our minds. It didn't change anything. We just wanted to play."

I mean, in football, you have complete freaks, guys who deadlift 600 pounds but still run a 11s 100m.
That's not that crazy. I know a guy who's been powerlifting for about 3 years part time and he deadlifts 600 pounds and can run 100 meters in 11 or 12 seconds. He's a 5'8" and 195 pound black guy.

Football players are immensely overrated on these forums.

The closet you actually get to comparison is to look at Jon Jones and his brother aruther and chandler both Arthur can Chandler are top tier guys especially Chandler this year. Chandler is roughly the same size as Jon you have to take in consideration that weight lifting is big in football

To make it trough college in football is tough then to make it to the nfl and be a starter is extremely rare compared to how many kids step on the football field as a senior in highschool.

Jon sharing the same genetics as his brothers couldn't make it in football given his smaller size but height he couldve been easily a tightend qb, defensive end or line backer. But he wasn't as athletic as his brothers and took to wrestling and has become one of the goats in mma.

So, you have to ask yourself if his brothers decided to follows Jon's path in wrestling to mma would they have dominated like Jon?

<Fedor23> Who knows depends on the individual and the sport and specialized training they do for their sports, but every individual is different and respond to exercise also in different ways, then you can go into genetics and so on.

No GIF of Jon Jones trying to dunk or Conor trying to jump on the beam??? Sherdog, you really disappoint me sometimes.

It's 87%. On average.

Also UFC fighters can bench press the 275.
It used to be 285 back in Shamrock's day. They got weaker.

But they also grew an inch in height and 2 inches in reach so it evens out.

And now they do charity every weekend. But they have to watch their addiction to cookies - their next fight is coming up!

Your original argument was "there is a small talent pool for MMA compared to other sports." My counter on why that is incorrect is "a larger number of people can participate in MMA compared to other sports (which require above average size) due to weight classes." Not for nothing, the largest weight classes are LW and WW, which correspond roughly with the average weight of Western men when adjusting for the weight cut.

I have no idea what your reply has to do with that.

Flyweight is poor as a division because there indeed not many men who can meet that weight requirement, but back to my earlier point, Mighty Mouse ain't ever gonna be a NFL running back. Heavyweight is poor because the big men prefer to compete in sports that are much more lucrative (and also require that aforementioned size).

TBI in the NFL has been known to the general public for nearly a decade now, and we've seen no decrease in the number of young men entering the NLF in that time or the foreseeable future. Note I said "general public." Players have known the sport takes a heavy toll on the brain for decades. I spoke with Gary Fencik a couple years ago, and I asked about TBI during his time in the NFL. He said something along the lines of "We all knew it was doing damage to our minds. It didn't change anything. We just wanted to play."
No, my argument was that the talent pool is smaller because most people don't want to get punched in the face. That's still true. And the talent pool really is small and smaller people can go into other sports. There's brain damage in soccer too but you're less likely to turn into a vegetable and the pay is better, for example. Only a very specific type of person goes into mma.

You seem to talk out of your ass a lot. I really don't imagine high school coaches are dying to inform their players of the dangers of football if they don't already know it. But anyone walking into a boxing gym knows what they're getting into.

Of course there are new NFL players. But was there absolutely no reduction in the number of young football players? You looked at the stats or just talking out of your ass again?

But even if the dangers of the NFL were well known, it's still better than mma in terms of how much money you get and how reliably. So the overall talent pool for mma is very small.

And then you have to divide it into weightclasses meaning what little talent there is then divided even more.

I hope I made everything clear for you now.

I think one aspect of "athleticism" is being overlooked: mental strength. The mental strength displayed by the top level fighters, in my opinion, is off the charts. Especially compared to other major sports. Getting the shit kicked out of you, and keeping composure to make the right move that gets you out of danger... that's some powerful shit.

I was a pro baseball pitcher a lifetime ago and the mental game there is very intense. But it's nothing compared to combat sports IMO.

Back