How overrated is Anthony Joshua?

His hype machine was just destroyed forever imo, he got lucky to fight an aged Klitschko, and now Usyk avenged his countryman
He has more top 10 wins in boxing today. If he is overrated then so are his opponents....

Maybe Usyk is that good.
He did unify the belts at cruiserweight and now has the opportunity to do it at HW...

He's an enigma to me, but I still think he's a solid fighter.

Just watched the high lights. All he did was throw out a tentative jab and occasional right hand. I never saw a combination that extended beyond that in the highlights. Overall very robotic and limited in terms of skills. Even someone like Wlad who was robotic was more dynamic and skilled in terms of his boxing ability, with more aggression and variety.

As for Usyk, he didn't look that impressive either, other than being a good solid boxer with good work rate, which apparently is all it takes these days to be considered amazing? Physically average, speed and power, his strength is his movement. Not a patch on previous HW champions, and I doubt he lasts long. This generation is awful. If Lewis is a 10, then uske is a 7 at best. On par with the avg solid 90s top contender.

He's not hyped, he's legit. Usyk is a really good boxer and AJ had a terrible game plan.

Fury (after beating Wlad) and Wilder fight bums and I hope Wilder KO's Fury.

I’ve been saying he’s overrated since before the first Ruiz fight.

What does he do well except for having good power, a 1-2 and looking good?

both Fury and Wilder would piece him up imo.

Solid puncher but is clearly overrated.

No jab, no footwork, weak chin and low IQ which is a given.

Wilder fits all those categories as well just minus the chin.

He is what he is... big, athletic and strong. Not a natural fighter and still learning on the job. I still think he’s the 3rd or 4th best HW. No reason he can’t continue to improve his craft and have a solid career.

Boxing sort of died with me once Lewis became champ and the Klitschko's came in. I have friends who still watch's it but I just can't seem to get into like I use to. Tyson, others, and my friend included thinks they are just getting better over time? I don't see it. I can't really watch it now. The time I do have I rather spend it on MMA.

AJ is better than most other heavyweights of this era. I think his problem is mentality. Ruiz and Usyk both disarmed AJ with Ruiz looking and acting very unassuming while Usyk was very respectful and made it about the “sporting aspect” rather than a fight. I think AJ performs best when he is excited and is feeling the emotion of the fight or when his opponent has gotten under his skin and he wants to prove a point. The Charles Martin fight was his best performance as he was excited to become world champion, against Whyte, Wlad, Povetkin and Pulev he performed well as he was excited and had a point to prove. I think he needs to change trainers and work with someone that can draw that aggression out of him.

On the flip side of that it has to be said AJ is definitely chinny. He has been hurt by all of his quality opponents (Wlad/Whyte/Povetkin/Ruiz/Usyk) and I honestly believe both Fury and Wilder could get the win. I don’t see AJ winning the rematch with Usyk either so I’m really questioning where he goes from here.

there are so few good big men, hype is inevitable at the top level. people want to believe no matter how much these guys dissapoint.

Boxing sort of died with me once Lewis became champ and the Klitschko's came in. I have friends who still watch's it but I just can't seem to get into like I use to. Tyson, others, and my friend included thinks they are just getting better over time? I don't see it. I can't really watch it now. The time I do have I rather spend it on MMA.
that's why i have a hard time getting into the flavor of the month, I know that they don't have staying power but the naive fans think they are the next Ali. Then they get mad and take it out on us when their boy loses.

His hype machine was just destroyed forever imo, he got lucky to fight an aged Klitschko, and now Usyk avenged his countryman
I don't think the rest of the world really hyped him that much after his loss to Ruiz jr.
In the Uk yes, they were selling him as the best thing since sliced bread.

Back