How overrated is Anthony Joshua?

Just watched the high lights. All he did was throw out a tentative jab and occasional right hand. I never saw a combination that extended beyond that in the highlights. Overall very robotic and limited in terms of skills. Even someone like Wlad who was robotic was more dynamic and skilled in terms of his boxing ability, with more aggression and variety.

As for Usyk, he didn't look that impressive either, other than being a good solid boxer with good work rate, which apparently is all it takes these days to be considered amazing? Physically average, speed and power, his strength is his movement. Not a patch on previous HW champions, and I doubt he lasts long. This generation is awful. If Lewis is a 10, then uske is a 7 at best. On par with the avg solid 90s top contender.
100% correct here. AJ did nothing almost the whole fight. Never let his hands go...but the very few times he actually did throw punches...he landed solid and you could tell Usyk felt the power.
Usyk fought a good fight..he "tried harder" and was CERTAINLY aided by Joshua's NON Performance..but from what I saw..Usyk scares noone.
Hes got great cardio but would love to see a Dillian Whyte or legit good heavy try to take Usyk's head off and legitimately Go After Him unlike Joshua and then see how Usyk does.

100% correct here. AJ did nothing almost the whole fight. Never let his hands go...but the very few times he actually did throw punches...he landed solid and you could tell Usyk felt the power.
Usyk fought a good fight..he "tried harder" and was CERTAINLY aided by Joshua's NON Performance..but from what I saw..Usyk scares noone.
Hes got great cardio but would love to see a Dillian Whyte or legit good heavy try to take Usyk's head off and legitimately Go After Him unlike Joshua and then see how Usyk does.
he actually threw more punches than usyk.

Everyone reacts differently after the humiliation of getting KOd. Since Ruiz 1 Joshua has fought like a pussy(relatively). Compare that to Dillian, unshaken. Remember when GSP got Serra'd, Georges was gunshy forever more.. but he had the option of turning into a human blanket.
I doubt we'll ever see the terminator Joshua again.

His fights are exciting, (except for the Ruiz rematch)

And it’s also convenient that you come out with a thread saying AJ overrated after he loses when the majority picked him to beat Usyk.
I knew Usyk would win

Everyone reacts differently after the humiliation of getting KOd. Since Ruiz 1 Joshua has fought like a pussy(relatively). Compare that to Dillian, unshaken. Remember when GSP got Serra'd, Georges was gunshy forever more.. but he had the option of turning into a human blanket.
I doubt we'll ever see the terminator Joshua again.
I think after this fight it shows it’s terminator Joshua or nothing vs the likes of uysk or fury as his boxing skill is clearly lacking at that level. He can out box other HW but not the elite two

Just watched the high lights. All he did was throw out a tentative jab and occasional right hand. I never saw a combination that extended beyond that in the highlights. Overall very robotic and limited in terms of skills. Even someone like Wlad who was robotic was more dynamic and skilled in terms of his boxing ability, with more aggression and variety.

As for Usyk, he didn't look that impressive either, other than being a good solid boxer with good work rate, which apparently is all it takes these days to be considered amazing? Physically average, speed and power, his strength is his movement. Not a patch on previous HW champions, and I doubt he lasts long. This generation is awful. If Lewis is a 10, then uske is a 7 at best. On par with the avg solid 90s top contender.
Interesting you mention Wlad as being better but remember what happened when Wlad fought Fury? He was extremely tentative and wouldn't let his hands go. I think it was the same issue that Joshua had with Usyk. These really good boxers can shut you down so you are too reticent to commit and throw punches.

As for AJ being overrated, yeah I overrated him a bit. I thought he'd beat Usyk and lose to Fury but after this I'd still think he'd beat Wilder.

Last edited:
His hype machine was just destroyed forever imo, he got lucky to fight an aged Klitschko, and now Usyk avenged his countryman

So overrated that he won 3 of the 4 belts, has been champion for most of the last 5 years and has fought/beat far higher competition than either fury or wilder.
Why do fckin morons always post these laughable threads as soon as a fighter loses. If you had any knowledge on who he’d fought and the rest of the division, you’d probably be embarrassed about this thread

Or maybe Usyk is actually THAT good.

If the winner if fury vs wilder have the jacobs then hopefully we’ll find out. He’ll embarrass wilder. I never thought he had a chance against fury before Saturday but I think he outworks him gets the UD. Usyk isn’t going to be as easy to grab Hold of and drain as Steve Cunningham.
I think he is just that good. Let’s hope he gets the chance to prove it. Let’s not have usyk vs Joyce for his first defence

I don’t think he’s overrated at all. His win resume is VERY impressive. In both the pro’s and the amateurs. In my opinion, he still beats everyone outside of Fury and Usyk. He could even win the Usyk rematch if he turns it into a brawl. I think he needs to fight Usyk the way he fought Whyte a few years back. Still a big AJ fan here

I think after this fight it shows it’s terminator Joshua or nothing vs the likes of uysk or fury as his boxing skill is clearly lacking at that level. He can out box other HW but not the elite two
Agreed.

Or maybe Usyk is actually THAT good.

Yes he's so good he struggled with gate keeper chisora. Like said he's slightly above average thats it.

Interesting you mention Wlad as being better but remember what happened when Wlad fought Fury? He was extremely tentative and wouldn't let his hands go. I think it was the same issue that Joshua had with Usyk. These really good boxers can shut you down so you are too reticent to commit and throw punches..

True I give him some benefit of the doubt because he was 39 and Fury was bigger than him, while AJ is in his prime and has already looked dodgy even in the Ruiz rematch. At least in his prime Wlad went in there and destroyed most of his opponents even good boxers like Byrd.

I hate when goobers from the UFC forum make their way over here after a big fight.

I'm sure you also hate the fact UFC goobers know more about boxing than you do. How did you score the fight again? lul

Yes he's so good he struggled with gate keeper chisora. Like said he's slightly above average thats it.

True I give him some benefit of the doubt because he was 39 and Fury was bigger than him, while AJ is in his prime and has already looked dodgy even in the Ruiz rematch. At least in his prime Wlad went in there and destroyed most of his opponents even good boxers like Byrd.

I'm sure you also hate the fact UFC goobers know more about boxing than you do. How did you score the fight again? lul
Your opener destroys any credibility you thought you had. Keep crying, Usyk owned your boy.

Hes got great cardio but would love to see a Dillian Whyte or legit good heavy try to take Usyk's head off

Whyte is a good idea but this is close to it. Who are these other "legit good heavy" ? Whyte and Fury right now are the biggest threats to Usyk, then there is quite a big pause. I dont see other HWs like that right now. Wilder lacks the skills and wont take the fight, Joyce maybe as he has this relentless style and is a big dude. I do hope we get to see Whyte vs either Fury or Usyk.

A prime Povetkin would be a fantastic fight vs. Usyk but well thats gone.

btw: I am very glad at last we talk about real boxing again and not all these circus fights. Please mods create an extra sub forum for these "fights" like Odom vs Bowe..etc. Maybe "celebrity boxing" "has been boxing"

Usyk struggled with Chisora but looked amazing versus AJ. Fury also struggled with Otto Wallin and in fact was almost stopped by him but looked amazing vs Wilder. These fighters both perform at their best when they are faced with a more difficult opponent. So no Usyk isn't just slightly above average lol

Just so we can get an idea of where you stand what do you think would be the result of Usyk vs Wilder?

Just so we can get an idea of where you stand what do you think would be the result of Usyk vs Wilder?

Most likely Usyk by points or TKO. Wilder is crap though.

if you think oleksander usyk is slightly above average, you might not know shit about boxing.

So far he has had 3 HW fights. 1st was against a 40 year old bum, second he struggled vs a gate keeper, and then he beat AJ. Lets see how impressive his HW career will be, and then we will see who really knows boxing.

Usyk struggled with Chisora but looked amazing versus AJ. Fury also struggled with Otto Wallin and in fact was almost stopped by him but looked amazing vs Wilder. These fighters both perform at their best when they are faced with a more difficult opponent. So no Usyk isn't just slightly above average lol

You are presupposing Wilder and AJ are more than slightly above average themselves. Wilder has literally beaten nobody, and is crap, while AJ fights scared since Ruiz beat him up. Chisora is a solid gate keeper and Usyk struggled, can you explain that or do we just ignore it?

Back