How overrated is Anthony Joshua?

From what I saw of the fight.... I actually thought Joshua looked much better than I had expected from him.

Usyk clearly won. But AJ was not as stiff as I was anticipating. And, he had some crafty moments were he lulled Usyk into a mistake and catching him with a big shot.

So far he has had 3 HW fights. 1st was against a 40 year old bum, second he struggled vs a gate keeper, and then he beat AJ. Lets see how impressive his HW career will be, and then we will see who really knows boxing.

You are presupposing Wilder and AJ are more than slightly above average themselves. Wilder has literally beaten nobody, and is crap, while AJ fights scared since Ruiz beat him up. Chisora is a solid gate keeper and Usyk struggled, can you explain that or do we just ignore it?

Fury has a theory that Usyk was sandbagging until he got his shot at AJ. Not saying that's right but it could be. All I know is that Usyk from the other night would have no problem with Chisora this time around. The other theory is Usyk like Fury boxes to the level of his opponents. It was a masterful performance just like when Fury beat up Wilder.

I'm sure you also hate the fact UFC goobers know more about boxing than you do. How did you score the fight again? lul

I believe I gave Joshua rounds 4, 5,6,8,9 and 10. Pretty close to how the judge who had it 115/113. I might have one mixed up there. I gave one close round to Joshua that others gave to Usyk, 10 I think, Other than that, I saw the same fight everyone else did.

Very. He’s a big string cat who’s fundamentally sound. He’s B+ Boxing talent in an A-level body. And he doesn’t nothing at a high level. Nothing.

His movement and defense are rigid. His jab is one note. His right hand is heavy but again, one note. He doesn’t have a varied punch selection. It’s all 1,2,3 — 1,2,5,6.

He’s not a bad boxer but he's clearly a level below Fury and Usyk (even Povetkin despite the outcome).

Ive said it numerous times before and I’ll say it again: Wilder is a better fighter than AJ.What he lacks in fundamentals he more than makes up for in god given talent. Nobody in the division not named Fury could’ve survived his right hand. And even Tyson needed 12 seconds to do so.

I believe I gave Joshua rounds 4, 5,6,8,9 and 10. Pretty close to how the judge who had it 115/113. I might have one mixed up there. I gave one close round to Joshua that others gave to Usyk, 10 I think, Other than that, I saw the same fight everyone else did.
Problem is AJ won three rounds. Four if you're really generous or an AJ fan. Not 5. No matter who says what. And you've listed 6, so...

117-111 or 116-112 both make sense. 115-113 is getting into "trying to make AJ win" territory. Beyond that isn't justifiable, IMO. Again though, opinions are like...

I still don't understand the 117-112 card, but I didn't look at them to see how that total appeared. I figured that judge meant 117-111 and made a mistake. lol
Does anyone have the picture of the cards handy?

Yeah sorry this is bs. Joshua won 4 rounds at the most

So far he has had 3 HW fights. 1st was against a 40 year old bum, second he struggled vs a gate keeper, and then he beat AJ. Lets see how impressive his HW career will be, and then we will see who really knows boxing.

so being the first man since holyfield to unify the CW division, the first man to do it since there are 4 major belts, doing it in his opponents' backyard, not to mention the murderers list of motherfuckers he beat to do that - that doesn't move him past "slightly above average"?

moving up to HW and beating the guy with the best resume there, taking 3 out of the 4 belts also doesn't make him elite?

oh and he won the olympics.

you're right. he's maybe an inch above mediocre. now please, do tell us who is good and what they've done to deserve that?

so being the first man since holyfield to unify the CW division, the first man to do it since there are 4 major belts, doing it in his opponents' backyard, not to mention the murderers list of motherfuckers he beat to do that - that doesn't move him past "slightly above average"?

moving up to HW and beating the guy with the best resume there, taking 3 out of the 4 belts also doesn't make him elite?

oh and he won the olympics.

you're right. he's maybe an inch above mediocre. now please, do tell us who is good and what they've done to deserve that?
If he retired tomorrow, would you call him a great heavyweight based on that one fight?

If he retired tomorrow, would you call him a great heavyweight based on that one fight?
great in a historic sense? no.

great in the sense that he is a superb fighter and carried his skills when he moved to HW? absolutely.

the guy isn't debating greatness, though. he's saying usyk is slightly above average, which is beyond fucking retarded.

Heavyweight great no. p4p great yes.

He easily beaten AJ who has dominated the HW division for years and has the best HW resume. That’s makes him a p4p great given what he did before he moved up. Unfortunately you can’t really be called a great HW after just 3 fights as backwards as that sounds

Problem is AJ won three rounds. Four if you're really generous or an AJ fan. Not 5. No matter who says what. And you've listed 6, so...

117-111 or 116-112 both make sense. 115-113 is getting into "trying to make AJ win" territory. Beyond that isn't justifiable, IMO. Again though, opinions are like...

I still don't understand the 117-112 card, but I didn't look at them to see how that total appeared. I figured that judge meant 117-111 and made a mistake. lol
Does anyone have the picture of the cards handy?

Im a big fan of both guys but definitely pulling for Joshua in this fight. The 116 and 117 cards were definitely about right. It wasn’t a close fight imo

Just watched the high lights. All he did was throw out a tentative jab and occasional right hand. I never saw a combination that extended beyond that in the highlights. Overall very robotic and limited in terms of skills. Even someone like Wlad who was robotic was more dynamic and skilled in terms of his boxing ability, with more aggression and variety.

As for Usyk, he didn't look that impressive either, other than being a good solid boxer with good work rate, which apparently is all it takes these days to be considered amazing? Physically average, speed and power, his strength is his movement. Not a patch on previous HW champions, and I doubt he lasts long. This generation is awful. If Lewis is a 10, then uske is a 7 at best. On par with the avg solid 90s top contender.

That's exactly what I said knowledgeable post, Josh keeps Usyk honest and at bay with a snapping jab constantly in his face but Josh wouldn't commit to it, Josh often fights safe and to the level of his opponents, Josh doesn't have a chin, he gets concussed easily dizzy and can't recover his conditioning is terrible at times he doesn't use his advantages his size he fights small and doesn't use his reach strength isn't physical with smaller fighters he's doesn't bully smaller fighters something Bowe & Lennox would do especially Big Gorge, Josh can't make adjustments in the fight he's a training camp fighter that can't change his style and won't be aggressive when losing.

Josh is a better fighter then he sometime shows.

Usyk isn't anything special either takes forever to commit to punches only lands two punches a round and stays on the outside to long just waiting to sneak in a left hand paws with his jab and can't handle body attacks, just keep him at bay with solid jabs and when he sneaks inside srep over turning him then counter him with body shots jabs head shots and constantly keep him backing up with intelligent pressure by walking him down throwing jabs kead rights and body shots constantly moving forward, do not let Usyk set back you up to get in his range.

That's exactly what I said knowledgeable post, Josh keeps Usyk honest and at bay with a snapping jab constantly in his face but Josh wouldn't commit to it, Josh often fights safe and to the level of his opponents, Josh doesn't have a chin, he gets concussed easily dizzy and can't recover his conditioning is terrible at times he doesn't use his advantages his size he fights small and doesn't use his reach strength isn't physical with smaller fighters he's doesn't bully smaller fighters something Bowe & Lennox would do especially Big Gorge, Josh can't make adjustments in the fight he's a training camp fighter that can't change his style and won't be aggressive when losing.

Josh is a better fighter then he sometime shows.

Usyk isn't anything special either takes forever to commit to punches only lands two punches a round and stays on the outside to long just waiting to sneak in a left hand paws with his jab and can't handle body attacks, just keep him at bay with solid jabs and when he sneaks inside srep over turning him then counter him with body shots jabs head shots and constantly keep him backing up with intelligent pressure by walking him down throwing jabs kead rights and body shots constantly moving forward, do not let Usyk set back you up to get in his range.
This is stupid. It’s too easy to say all Joshua has to do is a snapping jab when it’s hard for him to get it off when usyk‘s incredible speed and movement. Saying that usyk isn’t a special fighter is quite a minority position among boxing fans

His hype machine was just destroyed forever imo, he got lucky to fight an aged Klitschko, and now Usyk avenged his countryman

Usyk and Wlad are not the greatest friends lol Usyk didn't avenge shit, he won the fight for himself. This is an individual sport.

I agree people hyped the Wladimir win a bit. Reality is Wlad was a fossil by that point and the fight was still life and death and possibly prematurely stopped.

Than again, what Joshua achieved post-Wlad is undeniable. Whyte, Takam, Parker, Povetkin, Ruiz and Pulev is a tremendous row of wins. Ruiz loss was bad but he avenged that. Usyk loss was by decision and there is really no shame in losing to this cat. Only guys who don't have a clue how great Usyk is will question AJ's credibility, not to mention there's an immediate rematch taking place and AJ has a good chance to right the wrong once again.

And if we are talking about over rating Joshua compared to the old timers, it really is a general phenomenon of recency bias. We recently had a poll where Floyd beat Henry Armstrong and Duran in an all time p4p list and Charles didn't make the top 10 and Langford didn't make the top 20. It's not just about Joshua, I've heard all kinds of nonsense like how big Fury is for prime Ali etc.

Back