How often do you take a week off from the gym?

In the summer I worked 70+ hours, getting as high as 94, every single week and didn't miss a single gym session. If you seriously think you are too busy or tired to miss a gym session, you should probably nut up.

Good for you. I know people who are iBankers who work 80 - 120 hours a week and don't miss a session. Doesn't make the mantra of illness, injury, or lazy any smarter. As they also have no real other obligation besides work.

Similarly my friend's dad is an analyst at the Hartford in CT, but lives in Framingahm with his three kids and his injured wife. On top of his 8+ hours a day of work, he commutes 3 - 6 hours, and actually has responsibilities to take care of. Making excuses obviously.

One of my friends started his own moving company a couple years back and still trying to get it off the ground. He basically works all the time either in the office, out on a job, or on call in case something goes bad. We were pretty good running buddies until his wife got far along in her pregnancy and he had to spend all his free time with her. He also missed 2 weeks last year when he went on his honeymoon (quel horrer!)

A friend of a friend who is a musician on cruise liners where he is gone anywhere from weeks to months at a time. Another example of someone who obviously just making excuses.

The majority of people I know don't exercise due to either no desire by their admission or some lame ass excuse. But there are people have actual shit to do that gets in the way of exercise and simply saying "Unless you're injured or ill, there's no reason to completely skip going to the gym for a week" is just idiotic.

Good for you. I know people who are iBankers who work 80 - 120 hours a week and don't miss a session. Doesn't make the mantra of illness, injury, or lazy any smarter. As they also have no real other obligation besides work.

Similarly my friend's dad is an analyst at the Hartford in CT, but lives in Framingahm with his three kids and his injured wife. On top of his 8+ hours a day of work, he commutes 3 - 6 hours, and actually has responsibilities to take care of. Making excuses obviously.

One of my friends started his own moving company a couple years back and still trying to get it off the ground. He basically works all the time either in the office, out on a job, or on call in case something goes bad. We were pretty good running buddies until his wife got far along in her pregnancy and he had to spend all his free time with her. He also missed 2 weeks last year when he went on his honeymoon (quel horrer!)

A friend of a friend who is a musician on cruise liners where he is gone anywhere from weeks to months at a time. Another example of someone who obviously just making excuses.

The majority of people I know don't exercise due to either no desire by their admission or some lame ass excuse. But there are people have actual shit to do that gets in the way of exercise and simply saying "Unless you're injured or ill, there's no reason to completely skip going to the gym for a week" is just idiotic.

Any one of those people could drop a few hundred bucks for a weight set and find 30-45 minutes in their day to lift. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen; that's the bottom line.

Any one of those people could drop a few hundred bucks for a weight set and find 30-45 minutes in their day to lift. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen; that's the bottom line.

It's true. You can pretty much always find the time if you want to. The question is just whether you want to, and it can be perfectly legitimate not to if the other demands on your time are extreme enough. But it's not a question of "nutting up" or whatever- if the time to lift is just cutting unacceptably into sleep or very limited time with your family (e.g. you would only otherwise have an hour a day with your kids, and you won't have that because of your lifting) it's absolutely fine to say that you are not going to lift. That's not failing to "nut up", it's making a choice that reflects what is important to you.

It's true. You can pretty much always find the time if you want to. The question is just whether you want to, and it can be perfectly legitimate not to if the other demands on your time are extreme enough. But it's not a question of "nutting up" or whatever- if the time to lift is just cutting unacceptably into sleep or very limited time with your family (e.g. you would only otherwise have an hour a day with your kids, and you won't have that because of your lifting) it's absolutely fine to say that you are not going to lift. That's not failing to "nut up", it's making a choice that reflects what is important to you.

There is nothing wrong with having other priorities. I would never tell someone they are wrong for wanting to spend time with their kids over a barbell. Just don't tell me you can't do it.

Where are you supposed to store a weight set on a cruise liner?

Where are you supposed to store a weight set on a cruise liner?

There is probably some sort of fitness center you might be able to convince the owner, or whoever runs the ship, to keep a rack and barbell, but chances are you are SOL on that one, I'll give you that.

There is nothing wrong with having other priorities. I would never tell someone they are wrong for wanting to spend time with their kids over a barbell. Just don't tell me you can't do it.

I feel the same way really. When I hear people say "I don't have the time" or "I don't have the money" it mildly annoys me because in 99% of cases what they should be saying is "This is not important enough to me for me to want to spend the money or time that I do have". However, that being said, it's still not a matter of "nutting up", unless you mean having the honesty to admit that not having the time is really an excuse.

I feel the same way really. When I hear people say "I don't have the time" or "I don't have the money" it mildly annoys me because in 99% of cases what they should be saying is "This is not important enough to me for me to want to spend the money or time that I do have". However, that being said, it's still not a matter of "nutting up", unless you mean having the honesty to admit that not having the time is really an excuse.

That's not what I meant. What I would say to someone would be entirely dependent on what they tell me. If someone told me they can't find time in the day, I would assume they are making excuses and would tell them to nut up, then help them figure out where they could fit in their lifting. If someone told me they would rather spend all their spare time with their children and getting a solid night's sleep to deal with the next day, I would not tell them to nut up.

I take time off when I see a decrease in performance and I am not recovering how I should. Ill back off for a bit then start again about a week or so later, usually works for me.

I use to do dumbell curls in the back of an amtrack in Iraq. Even a warzone won't stop me from sculpting my guns.

I enjoy my work and my home life. I make good money and my wife it hot.

However, the gym is mine. I'm the one under the bar. I'm the one putting in the effort. I'm the one who sees the benefits. For that hour and half 3-4 days a week my only responsibility is me. That is a tremendously powerful thing and I won't give it up.

To each their own. Kudos to you for enjoying that type of thing, but to me it sounds like a raw deal. After my obligations from work are completed my free time is mine. If I there's someone that I have to answer to at the end of the day I'm not a happy man. It doesn't matter how physically attractive they are, that lifestyle just doesn't work for me right now.

"Can't" isn't a word people should use. They should switch it for "won't" in most cases.

I have often said "I can't work in a call centre again". But it's not true. I just "won't'" work in a call centre again.

Priorities are all well and good, but if you're telling me you can't find time, or that you're not getting as strong as you would like, then its time to either readdress your priorities, nut the fuck up, or tone down your expectations.

I don't.But if priorities get in the way or if my body is telling me that I need to,then so be it. Lifting/gym time doesn't take much of my time anyways.

Pretty sure the last time i took anything over 3 days off from the gym was when i moved house in February, took a week off for that.

Back