How often do you take a week off from the gym?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Bme26, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bme26

Bme26 Green Belt

I've been working consistently for the last 5 months, 6 days a week. I've decided to take a week off, since I've been feeling pretty tight and beat down lately. I'm curious how often other take breaks??

2. big_john127

big_john127 Profess¡onal Lurker

Whenever life makes me take a break.

Between work and marriage the gym is the only time I have for myself during the week, and I am loathe to give that up.

3. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Too many pots on the stove.

This. If I got the time I will train. But if life has my plate full, well a Dad has to do what a Dad has to do.

I often find the week off recharges to old batteries.

4. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    I never really take a break longer than 3 days at the moment. I find that 2-3 days of taking it easy, or even better doing something like yoga, going for a surf or some relatively easy form of cross training, will be enough to recharge and I'll be itching to get back into it.

Not sure exactly how often, but certainly within a period of 5 months hard training, or if I have trained specifically for something hard then after that.

5. gspieler

gspieler Silver Belt

Only if I'm injured...and I mean seriously injured. If its a minor thing, there's always swimming, isometrics, and yoga. Other than those rare occasions, never.

note: when you say "gym", I take that to mean exercise, i.e. the city streets might be my gym if I'm going for a run or something.

6. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

I generally don't schedule in breaks or deloads because life usually throws them in for me. The only time I plan on taking off usually is the week between Xmas and New Years.

7. StupidityKills

StupidityKills Green Belt

That's pretty much what I do as well. With muay thai it's not uncommon to pick up an injury or two throughout the year. I usually have a week or two off in the summer for fishing and camping rather than at Christmas though.

8. jrams

jrams Black Belt

Travel, illness, or injury. Which sadly is much more frequent than I expect.

9. wufabufa

wufabufa Black Belt

That sounds awful.

10. apizur**

apizur** Aggressive Finesse.

I'm on week 3, it's doing wonders for my potential energy levels.

11. Legendary

Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

Every couple of months or if you feel like shit and in unfamiliar pain. I've have taken the past 2 weeks off away from lifting and have been barely excercising. I feel like I got all the soreness out of me and I getting to point where it bothering me. A week off max, if you have to. I'd prefer to just constantly work out , rather then going from in shape and out of shape.

I went from heavy lifting 2-3 times a week to bag work 3 times a week, and I'm starting to get bored and need to release some endorphins.

12. KidAlchemy

KidAlchemy Purple Belt

This. Though I spend too much time by myself probably. Whenever I have time to hit the gym I will.

13. CPP

CPP Orange Belt

Also this.
    On top of that getting stronger is addictive. It takes quite a lot to keep me from my workout.

14. nemosson

nemosson Green Belt

I find I need, and I mean really need a break after just 4 to 6 weeks. However, I'm always trying to put up more weight in the big 4, and do conditioning on 2 sometimes 3 days off from weights. I usually take Sunday off. In addition to that, I work crazy hours and sleep in segments twice daily. One more, I'm an old bastard at 42! So after a couple weeks I'm pretty rundown. That being said, might take a week off of weights, but do maybe 2-3 Ross workouts or dare I say, crossfit type workouts. I usually feel reenergized and chomping at the bit after that.

15. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Whenever I feel the need.

Lifting is not my entire life so if things come up or I feel physically/metally ran down I will take some time off. Really only a few times a year though. My gym time usually makes me feel better about everything else.

16. Rykusx

Rykusx Green Belt

I generally take a week or two off every 12 weeks or so... I've been lifting fairly consistently for the last 7-8 years but in the last four I've switched primarily to training for strength and power - since switching to programs that are primarily low-rep, high weight I find that I need to schedule breaks at least that often to give my CNS time to recharge. Otherwise I find that I get sick more often, minor injuries don't get a chance to heal, my mood is somewhat depressed, etc. Especially so now that I'm an "old man", having entered my 30's...I just don't bounce back from hard gym sessions, hard hits in rugby, bad hangovers :icon_chee etc the way I used to. Completely anecdotal evidence, but it's what I've found.

While I don't go to the gym and lift for a week or two doesn't mean I'm sedentary - I'm still playing competitive rugby (depending on the season), and at the very least engaging in "active recovery like daily walks, swims in the ocean during the summer, etc etc.

17. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

I needed to see this thread. My workouts have been shit lately. I know I'm not overtraining, but I'm definitely physically AND mentally run down.

The thing is, I feel guilty taking time off. The guilt is based in irrational thought, but dammit, it's still there.

18. snoop dogg***

snoop dogg*** Baby Heath goon$quad

every 6 months sounds about right.. maybe 3 depending on the intensity of your workouts

19. Cratos

Cratos Banned Banned

Never.

And I think you'll get the above answer from most guys with a decent level of strength.

20. big_john127

big_john127 Profess¡onal Lurker

I enjoy my work and my home life. I make good money and my wife it hot.

However, the gym is mine. I'm the one under the bar. I'm the one putting in the effort. I'm the one who sees the benefits. For that hour and half 3-4 days a week my only responsibility is me. That is a tremendously powerful thing and I won't give it up.