How often do you take a week off from the gym?

I thought the same thing too when I was in college. Tough life that time is.

You know I have been not in college too, right?

If you want to make it happen, you'll find a way.

Pls go.

I do get a kick out of the "You're still in college. Wait until you get into the REAL world" argument when talking about lifting, though.

On a serious note you seem to have the mentality/dedication necessary to reach a high level. That's not very common, good for you.

the-jimmies-rustle-softly-across-time-and-space-eCOtLh.jpg

You know I have been not in college too, right?

If you want to make it happen, you'll find a way.

Pls go.

Because I can = everyone can.

Still, good to know you are very worldly for a college kid.

I work 40 hours a week and haven't had a scheduled week off lifting since March 2012. Even when injured I'll still go and work around it - Bad back? Bench and Chin and Squat if you can. Bad shoulders? Squat. Bad knees? Deadlift and Press.

If you've got flu or mono or food poisoning then different story. But scheduling weeks off is for the very strong or pro athletes.

Yes, pro athletes take a week off. They also train full time. If you have any job, you cannot train "full time".

I'm not strong, but is it really that hard to understand that you're not doing enough to yourself 95% of the time to warrant "total rest"?

I don't think I ever take a week off on purpose. I injuries are about the only reason I would. I take a break for a few days after a fight though.

What jobs do you folks work?

Big difference between an office job and working in a busy hospital.

What jobs do you folks work?

Big difference between an office job and working in a busy hospital.

Lolwut?

I'd put both of those in the same category.

There is, however, a difference between those two jobs and manual labor jobs.

Not really.. I've worked a manual labor job. It was way easier than working in a hospital.

Not really.. I've worked a manual labor job. It was way easier than working in a hospital.

I can't really see how you're going to say landscaping/construction/physical labor is easier than working in a hospital, especially when it comes to impacting strength training.

I don't count being on my feet for 8+ hours to be difficult.

Going to go out on a limb and assume you are still in college.

In the summer I worked 70+ hours, getting as high as 94, every single week and didn't miss a single gym session. If you seriously think you are too busy or tired to miss a gym session, you should probably nut up.

In the summer I worked 70+ hours, getting as high as 94, every single week and didn't miss a single gym session. If you seriously think you are too busy or tired to miss a gym session, you should probably nut up.

Impossible!

Unless you have a wife, 12 kids, 2 cats, a dog, and 3 full time jobs, you have no fucking idea!!!

I can't really see how you're going to say landscaping/construction/physical labor is easier than working in a hospital, especially when it comes to impacting strength training.

I think it's just as much mental as it is physical.

When I worked worked full time in 100+ degree heat, I had plenty of energy and drive to hit the gym.

When I have to transfer, bathe, dress and write a complete evaluation on a dependent 450lb patient, I have no desire to hit the gym after.

With that being said, I really need to suck it up and go the gym more often..

When I worked worked full time in 100+ degree heat, I had plenty of energy and drive to hit the gym.

When I have to transfer, bathe, dress and write a complete evaluation on a dependent 450lb patient, I have no desire to hit the gym after.

Boom. You just hit the nail on the head, not just in your example but for most people.

Lol at the above coming from you.

Feel beat up and need a week of rest? Take a week and hit some lighter sets, or do some fun things in the gym (isolation exercises, main lift variations). I'd still continue to go at my normal gym times, though, to stay moving and keep the habit.

Unless you're injured or ill, there's no reason to completely skip going to the gym for a week.

You probably wouldn't understand any of that, however, as you are weak and generally terrible at lifting weights. Why haven't you posted in your log for almost a year?
To answer your questions:

I actually don't skip lifting for a whole week anymore, except for the 2 weeks before a grappling competition when I'm cutting weight.

I don't use the training log anymore because I'm doing 5/3/1 and I use a spreadsheet. I don't want to do data entry in two places.

I also don't feel the need to post in other people's threads all day just to tell them how dumb they are and what an awesome, strong, tough guy I am.

Boom. You just hit the nail on the head, not just in your example but for most people.

I guess I can't relate, as I've never had the mental issue.

If my body is good to go, it does the work I ask it to.

To answer your questions:

I actually don't skip lifting for a whole week anymore, except for the 2 weeks before a grappling competition when I'm cutting weight.

I don't use the training log anymore because I'm doing 5/3/1 and I use a spreadsheet. I don't want to do data entry in two places.

I also don't feel the need to post in other people's threads all day just to tell them how dumb they are and what an awesome, strong, tough guy I am.

I also have a spread sheet.

Typing a log post on a website I visit regularly takes me anywhere from 1-5 minutes. Brutal, I know.

Back