How Much Does Your Gym Cost?

1st: 120/month
2nd: Kelowna BC, Canada
3rd: Black belt BJJ/Former Pro fighter
4th: MMA gym with BJJ/MMA/MT/Conditioning classes
5th: Unlimited all, when I'm not up north working I'll do 2 a day usually Mon-Fri
6th: Toshido in Kelowna, I think its unreal, coaches are fantastic, good attitude gym, super high level guys present in the gym (and girls!), I haven't looked at prices at other gyms but I'm super happy with what I get for 120, current gym is big/nice/new looking.

1. $40/mo unlimited
2. Salt Lake City (Salt Lake Grappling Club)
3. Two instructors with 9-12 years no-gi, one with 6-7 years gi & no-gi
4. Just no-gi grappling
5. 5 days per week
6. About 300 sq. ft. of mat area.

Titans - Renzo Gracie Halifax, NS

- $100/month (I think it is actually slightly less, but comes to 109.00 with sales tax.)

- Unlimited. Gi and no-gi. Classes available every day.

- Cheaper for beginners, because there are only 4 classes/ week for them. I think it is $60.

- No contract. You can buy multiple months and get a discount. You can also buy a punch card if you don't think you can make many classes that month. Super-flexible.

- Black belt instructor. Some classes taught by brown or purple belt, but they are world-class competitors.

- No grading fees or seminar gradings. You just get promoted in class on the mat. It comes as a surprise (except black belt.) I think this is an important detail people have left out. At some academies, people attend 2-day seminars every 6 months hoping for stripes and it is the only way you can get promoted. Essentially adds $30/month to your fees.

- For an extra $10 you get access to all the cardio and weight machines, so you don't need to have another gym membership. There are showers and lockers.

- There is MT and boxing, but I don't know anything about the pricing.

1st $100 a month
2nd Chicago
3rd 1st degree black belt under comprido

4th- mostly BJJ but also kickboxing wrestling and mma

5th unlimited which is around 11 classes a week(6bjj 1 boxing 2 Muay Thai 1 Wrestling 1 MMA)

6. 1400sqft place small and simple.

Does anyone drive 20-25 minutes to get to their gym?

It takes 2 hours to go to my BJJ gym (bus + tramway + walking). It's long but I'm not alone, so I can talk about BJJ with my teammates.

BJJ club at UT Austin
$60/ semester baby!
Only get to train 3x / week, but that's all I have time for!
Got 2 BB's, a brown, and some pretty good blue belts. Not bad, it's a good workout, all I need right now!

I would also be curious to hear more about hidden fees at different gyms: school gis, mandatory patches etc.

1. $185.00/mo for advanced students paid month to month with a year contract, $160.00/mo for basic students paid month to month with a year contract
  2. Arlington, TX
  3. 1D or 2D black belt, honestly can't remember
  4. BJJ only
  5. Up to 14 classes a week possible (that I know of) which would be unlimited
  6. Cost to me is quite expensive given the amenities and personal attention, but the team has helped me tremendously to challenge myself ...

125/month
Central NJ
2 main teachers are black belts under Marcelo, 3 brown belt assistant teachers
Mostly BJJ but there are some striking classes I don't go to
Unlimited, there are classes 6 days a week
I have no idea how big the mats are exactly, its small but not cramped

1. I paid $187 per month on a 6-month contract basis. If I recall you either paid on a monthly basis or one year up front.

2. Broomfield, CO

3. The professor Mauricio Zingano is a 3rd degree black belt BJJ. Instructors range from Blue to Black belt.

4. No. This gym/dojo has BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA and Kids Martial Arts.

5. I do not know how they determined the number of classes an individual gets nor do I know if they offered unlimited classes. What I do know is that after the initial physical assessment I was told I could be in the BJJ or Muay Thai program(I chose BJJ) 2 days a week. Whether that number would have increased...I dunno.

6. This will be a very long section because I want to be open and honest with my experience there and hopefully other newbies can learn from it.

My time there I thought the facility was very good, big, and always clean(as best as they can get it) which is a big plus. As a complete newbie white belt I was ALWAYS instructed by blue belts(90% of the time) or purple belts(10% of the time). For the amount I was paying I would have liked to have had at least once been taught by the professor himself. I must say the instruction was really good and I enjoyed the teaching methods that they employed on their students.

Probably the biggest negative I had of the place was their policy on rolling. As a white belt you had to have on average at least 40 classes before you can roll with other people. I understand the reasoning behind that due to safety issues and all but shit the drills can only take one so far and if I can't put those new moves or existing moves into practice in a rolling environment how the hell am I supposed to understand the moves let alone get better at BJJ? It ticked me off because I was calculating how long that would take and it turned out that I wouldn't get a chance to roll until near the every end of my contract if not into my next contract with the gym. So that really devastated me and I stopped going. I really f-ing regret that though. I should have stuck to it, so I really have no one else to blame but myself for not asking about their rolling policy and for being an idiot who stopped showing up once I knew how long it was going to take.

The final thing I want to address is the pricing in general for BJJ in the Denver Metro Area. My gut feeling is that there seems to be a pricing control going on with the schools around here. That they all are charging roughly the same than one would expect to pay to attend a BJJ school. I just think that it's overly priced. This is Colorado, not California nor is it New York.

Don't get me wrong Professor Zingano's school is good. It's just that the value wasn't there for me to keep paying for it. Plus I HATE contracts in general.

1. $185.00/mo for advanced students paid month to month with a year contract, $160.00/mo for basic students paid month to month with a year contract

really, charge more to advanced students!

Back