How many wins away is Tony Ferguson from being considered lightweight goat ?

The Domin8or

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If he beats pettis then Conor and Khabib it would be 13 fight winning streak with 4 former champions in your resume and i think thats enough for being considered the LW GOAT .

That's a pretty huge if.

He'd definitely be in contention with that streak.

If he does all that, he's LW GOAT...

If he beats Pettis and then both Conor and Khabib, I'd probably give him LW GOAT status. Those are some big ifs though.

Pettis/Conor/Khabib

I'll give him the throne with that especially if he sprinkles in a few finishes.

He would also need a good win at 170. BJ and Conor fought at that weight despite being much smaller than Tony.

Win and defend the belt 5 times imo

Anything he does without the belt is inconsequential in terms of GOAT discussion.

Last edited:
He would also need a good win at 170. BJ and Conor fought at that weight despite being much smaller than Tony.

I disagree, he already has wins over a current top WW (RDA) and a future one (Lee).

If he beats Pettis, Conor and Khabib (which I don't think will happen btw) that should be more than enough to be considered LW goat.

What McGregor did at "Welterweight" isn't even in the same orbit of what Penn did at Welterweight. That's like saying Penn fought a Middleweight in spite of his opponent being Renzo Gracie; although Penn did fight against a Light Heavyweight in Lyoto Machida, but that's beside the point.

If his body holds up through three more training camps he'll be the GOAT of everything.

If he beats pettis then Conor and Khabib it would be 13 fight winning streak with 4 former champions in your resume and i think thats enough for being considered the LW GOAT .
No fighter should be considered GOAT before grabbing the (real) belt and holding it for some time.
Tony has yet to get the gold.

He has to beat Pettis

Then Khabib

Then Conor

Then GSP

Then Machida at open weight

Only then can he become GOAT

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. In order for him to be the GOAT LIGHTWEIGHT, you say he needs a win at WELTERWEIGHT?

Logic, use it.

if he beats Conor and Khabib then yes. not sure how many would debate it.

if he beats one of them, it will be heavily debated.

if he never fights either of them, good luck finding 3 who say yes.

If he goes doesn't lose, beats Khabib, and defends 3-4 times I have no issue with saying he's the best LW. That would be a 15 fight win streak and title defences. He would have passed BJ by far

Hard to establish a legacy at LW with the way the title situation's been the last couple of years. Even if he wins he could well be leapfrogged by Nate Diaz or GSP. He does have some good wins but needs a signature name on his resume and 1 or 2 top wins to cement LW GOAT status I think. Maybe avenge the Michael Johnson loss too.

It’s obviously 3.

He has to beat his next opponent Pettis, then he has to win the belt either from Khabib or Conor, then defend it once and then his LW resume is easily the most impressive.

Back