HOw many people use Front Kicks/Axe kicks?!

T

TapDG

Did a search and couldnt find much on it. I compete in Muay Thai and find a good front kick to open a round right in someones chest throws their timing way off as well as knocking the wind out of them but its risky cause I usually feel off balance..I guess what Im asking is how many people use them? Have they usually been effective? and do you practice them?

Lean forward slightly when you do a front kick and if you're fighting someone not too much bigger than you, you shouldn't feel that 'pushing yourself back' feeling.

I've been trying feigning front kicks to axe the quad lately. It works so far

I used to use them liberally. Great for creating distance offensively or defensively. Also great for jamming an attack as it starts; someone moves in and halfway through their first shot, they get shoved back violently, often winding up on their ass.

Effective, and can be done without opening yourself up too much.

As for axe kicks: used to like them too, though I already and beginning to suspect that they're applied differently in Muay Thai so I dunno if my experience applies.

I actually broke one of my training partners ribs with a front kick. I like to use the left front kick as a jab to pressure and defend against rushes and to set up my dominant right leg.

Gregster said:
I used to use them liberally. Great for creating distance offensively or defensively. Also great for jamming an attack as it starts; someone moves in and halfway through their first shot, they get shoved back violently, often winding up on their ass.

Effective, and can be done without opening yourself up too much.

As for axe kicks: used to like them too, though I already and beginning to suspect that they're applied differently in Muay Thai so I dunno if my experience applies.

Yea..thats how Ive used them too..Like a bigger and more powerful jab..

Front kicks are great. Ax kicks are good if someone keeps ducking and you can anticipate it. The problem with using a Ax kick in training is that they are hard to control the downward force, so you can injure your sparring partner if you catch him on the head. Also, your leg can get caught up and you'll easily be swept and end up on your back. I prefer the inside-out cresent kick, because it looks like a front kick, but you can come over the top over their gloves.

Yea..Ive seen some people get hurt really bad in sparring with head gear from Axe kicks..so much force and the heel hitting the back of your head,,Ouch!

my big toe said:
I prefer the inside-out cresent kick, because it looks like a front kick, but you can come over the top over their gloves.

dood unless ur point fighting iv found crescent kicks to be completely useless.its just not possible to get enough power on them. i do dig front kicks though

parallax86 said:
dood unless ur point fighting iv found crescent kicks to be completely useless.its just not possible to get enough power on them. i do dig front kicks though

I don't use that much, but they can be good if have someone against the ropes. Also, you can get power with them rotate your hips properly and snap it.

Or if you do a spinning crescent kick.

Axe kicks work best in PKA fights(above the waist kickboxing).... although they can throw an unsuspecting opponent off, you have to watch the sweep.

also axe kicks can land you at weird angle if the opponent lets it slide to the side of him correctly.... great to get leg kicked

recoil said:
Axe kicks work best in PKA fights(above the waist kickboxing).... although they can throw an unsuspecting opponent off, you have to watch the sweep.

also axe kicks can land you at weird angle if the opponent lets it slide to the side of him correctly.... great to get leg kicked

Yea..exactly..Ive been doing them in sparring but I fell so awkward when my foot comes down I know Im gonna get leg kicked bad

I have used them effectivly in fights, and I practice them regularly.

Front kicks are a big part of my kicking arsenal. I use them offensively and defensively. Great technique!

I use front kicks mostly as set ups. I almost never use them as power kicks. Use it to keep the distance, or to thwart a coming attack (a cut kick). They are also good to provoke a passive opponents into countering, and setting yourself up for a decent kick.

Axe kicks, I use them a lot. But you can't lead with this one. You have to set it up properly and use it at a time when your opponent isn't fully concentrated. Like at the end of a combo (when he's moving back), or at a time when he is off-balanced. Leading with the axe kick is almost insulting. But as a followup, it can be a KO kick.

I'm a TKD guy, so things may work differently for you.

And BTW, with front kick, just like any other kick, your bodyweight should be going into the kick. You have to open your hips and drive through, with your whole body pushing into the kick. Don't lean backwards unless it's just a fake. If anything, lean forward.

You can see Benny the Jet used them a lot. :)

Crescent kicks work really well for some people. I've seen guys that could probably deliver a knock out with them. But they were always guys with big feet.

They've always been more trouble than they are worth for me...

But front kicks are good.

a quick step behind side kick serves much the same purpos as a front kick and you can deliver more power. have to pick your place to use it though as you extend yourself a little.

I use front kicks alot in MMA sparring. Since I have short legs when I clinch up with someone who is bigger than me or has longer arms I cant knee them so I clinch and front kick them in the sternum. IMO axe kicks are alot harder to use because of their angle and are of course dangerous to use against a grappling opponent who knows you might use it. Usually the axe kicks that I score with are more of a hybrid axe/hook kick.

The Muay Thai front teep is great, and I use it all the time. I don't really like axe kicks very much though. They leave you way too exposed for the takedown.

Front kicks are great against "brawlers" they throw them of their charge and frustrate the shit out of them. Great for set ups too.

Back