How many of you don't celebrate Christmas?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Raiman, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Raiman

Raiman Black Belt

I'm just curious if I'm in such a small minority. How many of you don't celebrate X-mas?

I'm not religious at all and since Christmas is a Christian holiday I feel that it would be disingenuous of me to act like I do or care. I realize that for others it's just a gift giving holiday. I feel in some ways that Christmas especially, in America, is very contrived. It's like people make these lists of family members and, in my observation, simply spend money on them as a way of showing they care or thought about them. I feel that if I give a gift to someone on January 8th or May 23rd and it comes from the heart it's just as special as December 25th. These gifts don't have to be extravagant in anyway as long as they are meaningful. I could just as easily send a card or shoot a txt to a family member on a random day to let them know I care and thought of them. To me at least that means more than having a particular day/s marked on a calendar to show I someone I love them. This is true of Valentines day as well.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is I know I'm going to get gifts which I dislike; I've never liked receiving gifts especially on Christmas. And in a way I feel obligated to give gifts especially since my stepfathers family is Catholic. My family understands how I feel and I do those little things throughout the year to show them I care.

2. Misfit23

Misfit23 Black Belt

I wouldn't celebrate it if it weren't my family. I only buy gifts for my nephews.

3. jukebox

jukebox Guest

Well I just see Christmas as a more cultural than religious holiday now. Funnily enough, every atheist I know celebrates christmas whereas some christians I know do not.

4. Sweet_Leaf

Sweet_Leaf Banned Banned

As a Christian I don't celebrate Christmas as a religious family, there's nothing religious about the way the world celebrates it.

But we decorate and whatnot

5. aldeniro78

aldeniro78 Who cares

I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday and I've also scaled back on gift giving. Kids only now.

6. Katsumi Yamada

Katsumi Yamada Silver Belt

The thing about 25th December is that it's a national holiday in the majority of places, therefore its the perfect chance to spend time with your family.

Religion is the reason for the holiday, but it doesn't have to have anything to do with it if you don't want it to.

Oh and moaning about receiving gifts = first world problems to the max, haha

7. Josh

Josh Guest

I do the family thing, and maybe presents for my immediate family and niece and nephew, but that's it. No religious stuff. I've already done my family visiting for this holiday season, I'll be working the actual Christmas day, as I usually do.

8. Chernabog

Chernabog Sherdog Curator

Christmas traditions also come from pagans. According to Catholic religion it's not even the right date anyways for Christ to be born.

Christmas is more about the whole "people getting together" and "humanity helping others" sort of thing than religion. So get a tree, hang mistletoe, kiss your wife, and yell ho ho ho.

It's Christmas Time!!!!

Edit: Oh and Santa would touch Jesus with teh jab and put him out in 1:52 round 1

9. Phantomill2k2k6

Phantomill2k2k6 For when i decide to hit, i hit and you'll fell it

I'm not doing anything, i'm perfectly fine with it though.

10. Raiman

Raiman Black Belt

Okay. I just don't like getting gifts my bad for feeling uncomfortable about that.

11. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus GOAT in the North

This is pretty much how I feel. I enjoy getting stuff for the kids in the family, otherwise it's a lot of hassle at a time when I should be kicking back.

12. Slick_36

Slick_36 Born Again Primitive

I don't knowledge. Christmas as a kid and Christmas as an adult are as far apart as can be. If I lived alone and had no family around, I wouldn't celebrate it outside of going to church and meditating on Jesus' purpose. The materialistic frenzy that we call the holidays is just disgusting. We're such a hypocritical people.

And what's up with your av TS? Your OP leads me to believe you're atheist but your av looks to say otherwise.

13. BBKAllDay

BBKAllDay Purple Belt

I acknowledge it as a Christian holiday, but I usually celebrate it in the generic way ie. gifts, decorations, etc. It means different things to different people, and I'm pretty respectful of other people's opinions about it.

You seriously underestimate Jesus's ground game, especially before his injury.

14. Chernabog

Santa is motivated this time of the year.

15. Raiman

Raiman Black Belt

I am an atheist. The Av comes from an At The Gates Slaughter of The Soul album. If you look at his hands he is throwing up metal horns \m/.

16. BBKAllDay

BBKAllDay Purple Belt

Haha, true. Jesus doesn't start training until late March, early April.

17. Slick_36

Slick_36 Born Again Primitive

Metal belongs in the church. Like Yngwie Malmsteen shredding, Steve Harris galloping on a rhythm, hide toiling away on keyboard and drums, Cliff Burton blasting out a groove, and Dio just wailing. Heaven and Hell is in my opinion, a lost Psalm.

And yes, I know I just threw two basses in to that line up. I'm a rebel like that.

18. nostradumbass

nostradumbass Gold Belt

But Jesus has that look in his eye and he proved his chin in the Passion of the Christ.

I work on Christmas and don't live near my family so haven't celebrated in a few years. I liked it when I was little but it lost its appeal when I outgrew toys as presents. The only part religion seems to play anymore is people will put something Christy on facebook before a gluttonous meal.

19. Chernabog

Needs Entwistle for 3 basses. Lead bass, rhythm bass, and bass.

20. Chernabog

The eye of the jew?

[​IMG]