How many of you are truly happy? (and achieved some measure of life satisfaction)

Whenever I achieve something, I don't feel any satisfaction or achievement. Even things I've worked tirelessly on.
I feel that way with academics; I just can't ever get a sense of achievement from what I do in school or college other than getting it done with. Yet, it's so easy for me to feel accomplished whenever I finish even the most basic projects at a workplace or something around the house, so I guess it evens out, at least for the next year or so until I'm done with academia for good.

I'm pretty happy in general. I don't have a lot of stuff or family or things like that, but I'm ok with that for now. I had a brain injury several years ago and I was in pretty bad shape for a good while, but that has recovered a lot. So I'm quite happy with that.

I feel that way with academics; I just can't ever get a sense of achievement from what I do in school or college other than getting it done with. Yet, it's so easy for me to feel accomplished whenever I finish even the most basic projects at a workplace or something around the house, so I guess it evens out, at least for the next year or so until I'm done with academia for good.

My friends when they graduated college threw huge parties and celebrated and of course posted it on social media for the likes and attention. Not saying they shouldn't be proud they should.

When I graduated I really didnt give 2 shits even though I busted my ass. I told basically nobody and there's people I know who don't even know I graduated at all.

I am probably a little too content and happy with life. I actually feel as close to zero stress as possible. So that leads me to believe i am not giving a damn enough or not trying enough.

I don't think anyone can be truly happy. There is always something missing.

Honestly, every day I'm able to wake up and live another day and be healthy makes me happy. I hear about people dying young from diseases or living with crippling ailments and it makes me thankful that I'm in the position I'm in for now at least. Anything that happens after that is a bonus.

I'm going to be 40 this year and my soon to be wife is almost 40 and we're enjoying a fairly stress free life without kids, living in sunny San Diego with good careers that afford us to do pretty much anything we want.

I had an extremely shitty upbringing and had been to hell and back up until the age of 23 so I'm really in no position to complain now.

Honestly, every day I'm able to wake up and live another day and be healthy makes me happy. I hear about people dying young from diseases or living with crippling ailments and it makes me thankful that I'm in the position I'm in for now at least. Anything that happens after that is a bonus.

I'm going to be 40 this year and my soon to be wife is almost 40 and we're enjoying a fairly stress free life without kids, living in sunny San Diego with good careers that afford us to do pretty much anything we want.

I had an extremely shitty upbringing and had been to hell and back up until the age of 23 so I'm really in no position to complain now.
This post made me so mad.

In my country, we don't really believe in happiness as a feeling you can have constantly. It's something that comes over you once in a while (when you are in love, when the sun returns in the spring etc.). Happiness isn't something you can or should aim for, because you will always fall short - the feeling disappears after a while and you can't hold on to it.

What you can hope for is to enjoy your life: family, friends, your job, hobbies etc. and all the little thing that make life worthwhile.

Personally, I have bad days and good days, but ultimately more good than bad as I approach middle age. I haven't achieved the dreams I had in youth, but I've learned to appreciate the life I got instead. I think that's the secret.

That said, sometimes it's February, everything is grey and nothing seems to matter at all. That's the worst feeling I know.

You know that hollywood meme about buying a house and settling down with a wife, but then you're bored and frustrated everyday just looking for a way out?

Yeah that's just a meme. Settling down is fuckin paradise. You just gotta be smart and sign on with a girl who actually gives a shit instead of whichever one has the best ass.

I have failed academically,socially and athletically so im not that happy

Good news is im emotionally numb due to my background so I dont care that much
Hey, there's achievement in just making an effort.

Aren't you the kid that's lamenting the fact that you're socially awkward around women? That's no reason to be so harsh on yourself. So, are millions upon millions of dudes around the world. If I recall correctly you're only 25. That's young as hell in my book. Things will improve with time & experience.
As for your being a failure athletically, why do you say that? Aren't you an amateur fighter?
If so, what's going on with that? How long have you been fighting? At 25 years old maybe you've just stagnated in the amateurs & you should consider turning pro. If nothing else, as I told you the other night, you'll get more interest from women as a pro fighter than you ever did as an amateur. I certainly did. So, give it some thought.
And, finally, the good thing about academics is that you can always continue your education.
So, things are never as bad as they seem.
Cheers.

Hey, there's achievement in just making an effort.

Aren't you the kid that's lamenting the fact that you're socially awkward around women? That's no reason to be so harsh on yourself. So, are millions upon millions of dudes around the world. If I recall correctly you're only 25. That's young as hell in my book. Things will improve with time & experience.
As for your being a failure athletically, why do you say that? Aren't you an amateur fighter?
If so, what's going on with that? How long have you been fighting? At 25 years old maybe you've just stagnated in the amateurs & you should consider turning pro. If nothing else, as I told you the other night, you'll get more interest from women as a pro fighter than you ever did as an amateur. I certainly did. So, give it some thought.
And, finally, the good thing about academics is that you can always continue your education.
So, things are never as bad as they seem.
Cheers.

yeah im ammy fighter but im not talented ,(no explosion or speed) i can hang because my technique is fairly good ,still lose to guys who have worse technique but are talented physically(they have that ridiculous punching power,speed,or cardio)

im not awkward around women im just ugly looking (google nikolai valuev)

yeah im ammy fighter but im not talented ,(no explosion or speed) i can hang because my technique is fairly good ,still lose to guys who have worse technique but are talented physically(they have that ridiculous punching power,speed,or cardio)

hey, you fight, bro. Most people in this world don't have the heart to stand up for themselves, never mind stepping in the ring. Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe consider finding an asian wife. i hear they treat big white guys really well.

I hate my life, I hate my job and I think about killing myself often but I don’t want to hurt the people I love.

Basically though, I work at a shithole with a ridiculous turnover rate for 60 hours a week. The government extorts half of my income leaving me with just enough to cover expenses.

I’d leave but I live in my hometown and own a home. Jobs are very scarce in this area as they are many others.

I feel like a wage slave and it depressesbthe he’ll out of me. I might do something drastic like sell all my shit. Idk.

It's it just me or does TS constantly look for new ways to humble brag?

This is a pic of Valuev & his wife. You never know, dude. There's someone for everyone.
e363db7ece352c13e3e1b231246479bb.jpeg

Very content and grateful for the life I've been able to make. happiness isnti a goal as emotions ebb and flow, but it would be fair to say 'm extremely happy.

Main thing is to find out what is truly important to you in life and do more of it. Redesign your life however needed, regardless of social norms or pressure.

The happiest people I know are all living their passion/goals on a daily basis compared to working a 9-5 and only enjoying life on weekends or holidays. Some are rich and some are dirt poor, but the underlying factor is they all took control in designing and living the life they want.

In my country, we don't really believe in happiness as a feeling you can have constantly. It's something that comes over you once in a while (when you are in love, when the sun returns in the spring etc.). Happiness isn't something you can or should aim for, because you will always fall short - the feeling disappears after a while and you can't hold on to it.

What you can hope for is to enjoy your life: family, friends, your job, hobbies etc. and all the little thing that make life worthwhile.

Personally, I have bad days and good days, but ultimately more good than bad as I approach middle age. I haven't achieved the dreams I had in youth, but I've learned to appreciate the life I got instead. I think that's the secret.

That said, sometimes it's February, everything is grey and nothing seems to matter at all. That's the worst feeling I know.
This is a good perspective to have, and how I try to look at things now that I'm getting older. Happiness never lasts but always returns.

Back