How is 'UFC Aldo' a point-fighter?

The only correct answer is tougher competition

Go and watch the fight again. Don't worry, I will probably still be around so you can come back and apologize to me later.

i just fucking watched it yesterday, i think you need to rewatch

That's because you have to actually pick your shots against fighters who are world-class. Again, there is a marked difference in sprinting at and finishing Chris Mickle, and sprinting at and finishing Chad Mendes.

Fact: "WEC Aldo" is 1-1 in finishes against elite competition (Swanson, Faber).

That means WEC Aldo still had a higher finishing rate than UFC Aldo.

I do not think Aldo is a point fighter, I think he paces himself more to avoid exhaustion. One of the reasons I think this is he nearly always slows down significantly in the later rounds and got into a bit of trouble in the Hominick fight because of it.

People forget all too easily that, like Jon Jones, Aldo is a fighter whose base lies in grappling, and has been training under Andre Pederneiras (whose camp has produced more than one BJJ world champion) for more than 10 years now. He is not a "muay thai striker" with a McBlackBelt; he is a mixed martial artist who has merely learned to strike.

Yet, despite this, Aldo is arguably the best technical striker in the UFC.

Conclusively, the wild young man who fought in the WEC would be embarrassed by this new Aldo.

Finally, someone who speaks English.

1109324d1357854761-honda-d16w9-sale-tumblr_m5p6isapv51qfhis6o1_500.gif

He is the most dominant fighter round by round included is DJ since GSP left. People just want to create an opening in his game because it's very difficult to beat if he doesn't do something out of the ordinary. Aldo to gangsta for that nowadays. :icon_lol:

He is the most dominant fighter round by round included is DJ since GSP left. People just want to create an opening in his game because it's very difficult to beat if he doesn't do something out of the ordinary. Aldo to gangsta for that nowadays. :icon_lol:

most dominant fighter round by round since gsp left?? wtf???? he's fought once and that fight was fucking awful. you need a much bigger sample size than one fight where his opponent tried absolutely nothing

where do people see a TD after the grab?? lifting aldo up doesn't count as a TD.....

and please don't say when he went to one knee for .5 seconds...thats not a TD

You can say its a TD seeing as Mendes lifted him up and, by UFC rules, made him a grounded opponent, albeit for a second. What you said, was that Aldo immediately turned around and kneed Mendes after the grab. As you can see, you were wrong.

You can say its a TD seeing as Mendes lifted him up and, by UFC rules, made him a grounded opponent, albeit for a second. What you said, was that Aldo immediately turned around and kneed Mendes after the grab. As you can see, you were wrong.

where the fuck did i say he immediately turned around and kneed mendes in the face???? don't reword what i said to fit your argument. i said he ko'd him after the fence grab.... if aldo didn't pull some bullshit and grab the fence the ko doesn't happen because aldo has a dominant wrestler on top of him.

Nah it only appears that way because he smashed like 4 cans within a round; he actually had noticeably worse footwork, head movement and takedown defense. His offensive striking was quite limited as well, no jab.
Cub Swanson was a can? That's news to me.

Hes fighting smarter versus better opponents, not that hard to see. People calling him boring or a point fighter are just blind IMO. KZ/Lamas/Edgar/Florian are all game, top fighters no matter where the fight goes. Instead of criticizing Aldo why not give credit to his opposition?

I wouldn't agree that he's fully a point fighter, but he definitely doesn't just go full throttle like he used to. Still, he wins dominantly.

where the fuck did i say he immediately turned around and kneed mendes in the face???? don't reword what i said to fit your argument. i said he ko'd him after the fence grab.... if aldo didn't pull some bullshit and grab the fence the ko doesn't happen because aldo has a dominant wrestler on top of him.

Go back and read your first post. Any reasonable person reading that would think that is what you were saying. Don't blame me for your lack of clarity.

Anyone who says Aldo is boring to watch has no appreciation for ELITE skills being displayed in an MMA - he's arguably represents the pinnacle of MMA skills packed into 1 fighter.

Back