How is 'UFC Aldo' a point-fighter?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by flowroller, Jun 5, 2014.

1. flowroller

flowroller Orange Belt

I have read quite a few posts saying how UFC Aldo is some play it safe, watered down version of WEC Aldo, and that he only fights to not lose. I am guessing it is because he has only 2 finishes in the UFC, but when you consider his actual performances in UFC fights and who he has fought, I don't see how the point-fighter criticism holds up. His UFC fights:

1) Hominick - UFC debut - was ill all week running up to the fight and had a bad weight cut, yet he still dropped Hominick several times and beat his face into a pulp. Props to Hominick who showed incredible heart. Also, that was Hominick at his best, seeing as generally fighters train their hardest for title fights.

2) Florian - fought super defensively, and looked to try and wall and stall Aldo as his gameplan. This made Florian, who was already very hard to finish, even harder to finish, seeing as he was in a defensive shell all night.

3) Mendes - was getting stuffed and beat up by Aldo en route to getting KTFO in the final second of Round 1.

4) Edgar - one of the best fighters on the planet, period. Technically brilliant in all aspects, and has always shown tremendous heart, along with never being finished in his entire career. Aldo also beat him up, although this was the closest fight of Aldo's career, and there is no shame whatsoever in having a close fight with Frankie.

5) Korean Zombie - Aldo injured his foot in the first round, so lost a big weapon. Nevertheless, he got the finish in a tough fight with a tough opponent, even though it was in unfortunate circumstances

6) Lamas - From Round 2 onwards, Aldo threw beautiful combinations in an absolute masterclass performance. Aldo threw pure power in his punches and kicks, and looked for several submissions, but Lamas showed great resilience. Cannot be said that Aldo did not go hunting for the finish on several occasions.

On the evidence of all of these fights, it cannot be said that Aldo has become a point-fighter. I guarantee we will see Aldo finish Mendes again, regardless of how great Mendes has looked, provided that Mendes comes out looking to finish too.

2. tom aint short

tom aint short Green Belt

People love to hate the best

3. The Campos

The Campos Black Belt

but... but.. but he grabbed the cage versus mendes!

4. Nowhere Fast

Nowhere Fast Chules' Emotional Hostage.

6/7 Fights in the WEC ended in finishes. 4/6 in the UFC have gone to the scorecards.

Point Fighter.

5. Vil7

Vil7 Silver Belt

I think his fights are exciting but he often is not as aggressive as he could be and I rarely see him throw high kicks anymore.

6. flexxx145

flexxx145 Green Belt

It's just hate, Aldo attacks throughout the fight the entire time.
    It's not his fault the opposition gets scared and doesn't want to engage or plays it safe.
    As the champ it's not his job to stick his neck out. It's the challenger's job to take the belt from him by force. The only blame I give aldo is that once he lands a couple of his brutal leg kicks most guys just give up and he probably should be able to finish them.

7. norsa

norsa Blue Belt

That right there, since he came to the UFC he has been boring... effective... but boring. he complains about pay so I complain about his lack of finishing, good ole America.

8. EJRMAN513

EJRMAN513 Black Belt

He's not a point fighter, he's just a much more technically sound fighter than he was in the WEC and I attribute this to the amount of weight he's had to cut since he's entered the UFC. Because of the weight cut he has to preserve alot of his energy and stick to a single strike gameplan where as in the WEC, his weight cuts weren't as hard an he could throw berzerker combos all day. He needs to move up to 155

9. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

Because a lot of "mma fans" spend a lot of time day dreaming about what It would be like if they were a fighter; piling up a record of 20-0 with all finishes. So they hate on any real fighter who actually has to deal with a championship level fight and doesn't finish every time.

In their head it's like "oh c'mon Aldo, in my mind I beat Hominick with a flying knee combination, you suck."

10. flowroller

flowroller Orange Belt

Typical fight finder response. Perhaps you should start watching the fights at some point, along with taking note of the level of competition.

11. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

I don't find him exciting.

12. Nowhere Fast

Nowhere Fast Chules' Emotional Hostage.

Wikipedia actually. And you can't argue the facts. He doesn't look to finish like he used to.

People only complain because they know he has the potential for more. Same happened with GSP.

13. OFWG

OFWG Yellow Belt

Aldo is a beast I think he just hasn't finished as much but just imagine him at 155 with a gas tank all 5 rounds I think he will get more finishes. I think he just doesn't want to waste all his gas in rounds 4-5 because if he does he can be taken Down easier

14. Zeta Reticuli

Zeta Reticuli Aluminati Belt

He finishes if he can but sometimes it doesn't happen that way. Still the best

15. TheUnchosenOne

TheUnchosenOne Green Belt

I wouldn't call anyone a point fighter, but even given what most people consider "point fighting" I don't think Aldo fits.

What he's become is much more measured and cautious. He still looks to finish, but he doesn't pour it on like he used to. He'll go 100% a few times a round, but for the most part, he's coasting a bit. Winning, clearly, but not more than that. And he hasn't needed to do more than that. Aldo coasting has been better than the best of everyone he's fought in the last few years. He's less viscerally exciting these days, but his technical brilliance is still pretty amazing to watch.

16. Perrichet

Perrichet Tinpot Belt

'Point fighter/fighting' is just a another way to label a fighter boring just like LnP and etc.

17. MachidaNo1Fan

MachidaNo1Fan Red Belt

18. MachidaNo1Fan

MachidaNo1Fan Red Belt

The only times he's finished in the UFC is when he blatantly grabs the fence, or when someone randomly dislocates their shoulder

19. FlyingKimurabar

FlyingKimurabar Silver Belt

Because he sits back and Jab + low kicks all day.

It's obviously the smartest/safest way to fight. But it's boring and that's all there is to it.

And his Finish over Zombie doesn't really count. I count it as a win for sure as Aldo dominated the first 3 rounds, but that isn't a legit finish.

20. LikeItIs

LikeItIs Red Belt

I'm not gonna say he's a point fighter. That being said there is a noticeable difference between WEC Aldo and UFC Aldo.

Could be attributed to any number of reasons such as tougher competition, bad stylistic matchups etc ...