How is Jon Jones gonna win the rematch against Gustaffson?

For sure. Both guys will try to adapt.

What makes me think Gus has more upside is that Bones has fewer options to improve, especially if the ground game continues to be a non factor.

Boxing Gus is out. Apparently that was what he trained a lot for and felt it was a mistake. So that's one of the things we actually do know is off the table.

So his strategy standing will be more kicks and spinning stuff. If Gus focuses on countering these offensive techniques and manages to avoid or even exploit them, Jon might be in trouble.

Gus on the other hand already has a solid base in his striking that can be augmented with kicks, trips, spinning shit.

So if Jon can't get Gus down and keep him down (or catch him with some huge elbow or something), I see more upside for Gus. Plus he will have better financial resources this time, and the judges won't see him as a huge underdog.

The thing is you are giving everything Gus did well in the fight as a given in the 2nd (TDD etc.) while Jones is going to be worse?

Gus cutting JJ in the first was a big factor and there is no guarantee that will happen.

Gus was not on his bike for fun...it was strategy. Now JJ has to figure out how to close distance better or force Gus to change his strategy in some way.

Jones knows he can take Gus' power (and if they do fight again, he also took Glover's power) so he will also be more confident. People seem to think JJ will somehow be afraid to trade now after he won the 1st fight (regardless of how fans feel, him and the judges are in agreement).

I don't know who'll win but I believe it will competitive again. It's a shame we didn't get to see the immediate rematch.

No way Jones gets past gus a second time. Jones stirking is catered to being able to put his hands up and run away from fights.

nothing so far suggests that gus would (t)ko jones. He can surely decision jones

While, sure, I don't actually believe he's ducking Gus, per se, the fact is: saying you'll fight someone is very, very, very different from actually fighting them.

Immediate rematches are rare and usually only occur when the champ losses.

Immediate rematches are rare and usually only occur when the champ losses.

I know that.
I was hoping for an immediate rematch, but I don't blame Jones, his camp, or the UFC for not putting one together.

I just think that the "he said..." response is as silly as (and lends credibility to) the ducking accusations.

I know that.
I was hoping for an immediate rematch, but I don't blame Jones, his camp, or the UFC for not putting one together.

I just think that the "he said..." response is as silly as (and lends credibility to) the ducking accusations.

Well according to Dana if they both win their upcoming bouts, they will fight each other after that.

I think Gus is going to push the pace a lot more in the rematch. He's gonna come in more aggressive and look for shots. If Jones can sneak in a counter takedown I can't see Gus coming out as the winner. Keep in mind that Gus immediately disengaged after taking Jones down. It was clear that he didn't want to play the ground game with Jones, but rather give a statement. If taking Gus down fails, I'm pretty confident Gus comes out with the W.

I shouldn't say Gus will lose if it ends on the mat, but he clearly feels more confident in the stand up vs Jones.

he's gonna take the rematch imo. But it will be a war , again.

Gus's TDD shocked me. I wasn't giving him a chance before the fight but he proved me wrong in a big way, he definitely has the tools to beat Jones and he almost did. It wasn't a fluke by any means.

I think he can either do better once he gets him down......or work on his standup and take advantage when he had Gus hurt.

Just like Gus learned from his loss against Davis Jones will correct his "flaw". That's pretty scary considering he is only 26 and still has time to get better.

Back