How is Jon Jones gonna win the rematch against Gustaffson?

Gus now knows he can nullify Bones' wrestling. That was the HUGE question mark before this fight. There was talk about Bones training too much boxing, but can you imagine how much defensive wrestling Gus did!?

With that down, he can now go on the offensive. Train more aggressive combinations, train catching some of tha kicks Bones was spamming and take HIM down.

Gus has more upside than Bones at this point. If Bones can't take Gus down next fight, there's really not much he can do better next time.

If Gus figures out how to take Bones down from all his kicking - game over, man.

Andreas Michael (Alex's head coach):

In the first round [Alex] went in, he was a little bit careful, and then all of a sudden he hits [Jones] and he cuts him. It was one of the first exchanges. So the guy, Jones, is like shocked: "oh shit, I'm in a fight now". Like "yeah, yeah you are in a fight, you better get ready". And then all of a sudden he's like all tentative, his guard was up, he was like careful, he wasn't doing all this [kung-fu] shit that he does. He was like careful with his guard, jabbing and moving and pressuring. I didn't see him do like the tiger style when he comes in, you know? Because we told the ref "if he does that we're gonna kick him in the face, directly" and I think the word got out there because I made sure that the word would get out there.

So he came out and he's just a human being. Alex understood that, you know? And that's why in the next fight it's gonna be a different story. There's not gonna be so much respect. We went in there and we showed a little bit too much respect - we did not follow up with some of our strikes, we didn't take over when we should have, we didn't keep him on the ground... we're like "take him down and then come up". I think Alex can get top position. He can't hold Alex down so we can take him down... I think in top position, we can keep him down. We can even try for submission! Like, what the fuck...

Journalist:

Do you think Jones will ever enter with the Not Quite Human -shirt again?

Andreas:

I don't know. He looked human enough to me.

Jones needs to master the jab first, and learn to time it well, he can nullify or disrupt Gus standup there by doing so, especially with his reach, he seems to not like to use the jab. I just think he doesn't know how to utilize it well yet but it will be important for him to setup other combinations there.

He needs to practice more footwork, he does't have the fundamentals down yet, and needs to work on not staying flat footed so long, and have some more head movement. Just those things will make him a harder target to hit.

He will need to refine his wrestling again, as his setups have looked sloppy, but I'm sure Gus took him by suprrise in that fight, so he was fighting tight and slightly panicked, he overcame it, but not fast enough to get his gameplan going.

I think Jones has more ways to win then Gus, he has more raw ability, it's just putting them together and then applying it.

I don't expect for Jones to create angles in his punches anytime soon, as his boxing is very bad at this point. With footwork we could see a glimpse but that's about it. At least with the jab he can make his elbow jab attack more effective as well, those sharp quick attacks maybe a good counter, and they have proven to be quite effective.

You are dismissive of spinning shit when it landed the biggest shot of the fight?

Gus tried to get more takedowns but after the first one JJ clearly adjusted. I don't see Gus securing a takedown a round very easily.

Both guys will have to come in improved. JJ needs to get a takedown earlier than the 4th next time to change the flow of the fight.

I don't think the rematch will look like round 6, I think both will be trying to adjust.

For sure. Both guys will try to adapt.

What makes me think Gus has more upside is that Bones has fewer options to improve, especially if the ground game continues to be a non factor.

Boxing Gus is out. Apparently that was what he trained a lot for and felt it was a mistake. So that's one of the things we actually do know is off the table.

So his strategy standing will be more kicks and spinning stuff. If Gus focuses on countering these offensive techniques and manages to avoid or even exploit them, Jon might be in trouble.

Gus on the other hand already has a solid base in his striking that can be augmented with kicks, trips, spinning shit.

So if Jon can't get Gus down and keep him down (or catch him with some huge elbow or something), I see more upside for Gus. Plus he will have better financial resources this time, and the judges won't see him as a huge underdog.

Rounds two and three were close. There wasn't much "outstriking" going on either way.

It's funny seeing all these Bones haters exposing themselves as fools.

Yeah im totally hater and i just exposed myself :rolleyes:

Jones needs to master the jab first, and learn to time it well, he can nullify or disrupt Gus standup there by doing so, especially with his reach, he seems to not like to use the jab. I just think he doesn't know how to utilize it well yet but it will be important for him to setup other combinations there.

He needs to practice more footwork, he does't have the fundamentals down yet, and needs to work on not staying flat footed so long, and have some more head movement. Just those things will make him a harder target to hit.

He will need to refine his wrestling again, as his setups have looked sloppy, but I'm sure Gus took him by suprrise in that fight, so he was fighting tight and slightly panicked, he overcame it, but not fast enough to get his gameplan going.

I think Jones has more ways to win then Gus, he has more raw ability, it's just putting them together and then applying it.

I don't expect for Jones to create angles in his punches anytime soon, as his boxing is very bad at this point. With footwork we could see a glimpse but that's about it. At least with the jab he can make his elbow jab attack more effective as well, those sharp quick attacks maybe a good counter, and they have proven to be quite effective.

The thing is - Jones said himself he trained TO MUCH boxing, to the point that is proved detrimental. He even talked about boxing the Klitschkos FFS! I think his gameplan will be LESS focused on boxing the next fight, not more.

I see him winning via doctor stoppage for a cut. Gus will be dominating and jones will catch him with a hellbow and cut him. It will be identical to the cut jones suffered in the first fight, except this time the ref will beg the doctors to stop it instead of letting the fight continue. Screwing Gus for the 2nd time :)

The thing is - Jones said himself he trained TO MUCH boxing, to the point that is proved detrimental. He even talked about boxing the Klitschkos FFS! I think his gameplan will be LESS focused on boxing the next fight, not more.

Then he clearly may not be getting the best kind of training he needs to better his boxing, other then his muay thai skills which seems to be improving at a good rate. It is also possible that he has a natural affinity for the kicks then his hands which makes it harder for him to ingrain the things taught to him. However he is not utilizing the basic fundamentals to his boxing training, he needs more time which at this point has little of, considering he is champion and everyone is out to get him.

He also needs to practice more on his timing, to disrupts Gus onslaught, as Gus was outboxing him on the outside not in the pocket as to not get in the clinch, which is very effective but he knows how to box and has been doing so for years.

Elbow hurricane attack for 5 rounds. :icon_chee

Andreas Michael (Alex's head coach):

In the first round [Alex] went in, he was a little bit careful, and then all of a sudden he hits [Jones] and he cuts him. It was one of the first exchanges. So the guy, Jones, is like shocked: "oh shit, I'm in a fight now". Like "yeah, yeah you are in a fight, you better get ready". And then all of a sudden he's like all tentative, his guard was up, he was like careful, he wasn't doing all this [kung-fu] shit that he does. He was like careful with his guard, jabbing and moving and pressuring. I didn't see him do like the tiger style when he comes in, you know? Because we told the ref "if he does that we're gonna kick him in the face, directly" and I think the word got out there because I made sure that the word would get out there.

So he came out and he's just a human being. Alex understood that, you know? And that's why in the next fight it's gonna be a different story. There's not gonna be so much respect. We went in there and we showed a little bit too much respect - we did not follow up with some of our strikes, we didn't take over when we should have, we didn't keep him on the ground... we're like "take him down and then come up". I think Alex can get top position. He can't hold Alex down so we can take him down... I think in top position, we can keep him down. We can even try for submission! Like, what the fuck...

Journalist:

Do you think Jones will ever enter with the Not Quite Human -shirt again?

Andreas:

I don't know. He looked human enough to me.

Very interesting, particularly about the take him down and come back up comment.
You got a link for the full interview dude?

Gus will try to go back to his round 1 and 2 lyoto machida bicycle dancing around and stay with it even as jones cuts his legs down
hateful sherdoggers will scream
"legs kicks do nothing"
(unless it's shogun)
jones will close the distance and keep gus in the clinch and wear him out.
kind of gsp versus penn 2 kind of fight
then gus will gas out and jones will finish him with a sub

well appartently the only thing Bones has to do is not get KO'ed or submitted and he's the champion. b/c according to the last decision , the only true way to "beat the champion" is too finish him.

If he improves his movement, athleticism, reaction to being hit, boxing defence and wrestling offence.

If Jones did all of that, and between fights Gustafsson forgot how to box, lost some reach, got slower and less athletic...Jones might win legitimately.

He said he's fighting Gus after Glover.....yeah, that's ducking....fucking idiot....

While, sure, I don't actually believe he's ducking Gus, per se, the fact is: saying you'll fight someone is very, very, very different from actually fighting them.

ETA: On topic, Jones'll have to work on his wrestling a bit to assure himself of the win. This is assuming he was being honest in saying that he focused on boxing in his last camp and maybe let his wrestling slide.

Back