How is Jon Jones gonna win the rematch against Gustaffson?

I don't think he will be able to take Gus down. Jones is still more versatile and he def take a punch. It will be another war unless Jones can land a devastating elbow earlier in the fight. I give Jones the edge, but this fight needs to happen.

Very well said

Pretty easily, actually. Pivoting, jabbing and timing takedowns and committing to them.
Even though Gus is a great fighter, he mostly had success because Jones tried to fight him in his area of strength (and not being very proficient at it).
Now, the question is if he can actually learn this til next time, apart from the takedowns. Winkeljohn doesn't seem to be the best to teaching his fighters jabbing, positioning, and head movement.
Probably better takedowns is all he is going to need though. Alex is going to come in confident and not be so tentative about Jones takedowns, which will make him easier to take down.

He's best chance to survive the rematch is to duck it. Like he just did.

I heard JJ is already training for the Rematch....... in fact there was even a picture..

IMG_0211.gif

Pretty easily, actually. Pivoting, jabbing and timing takedowns and committing to them.
Even though Gus is a great fighter, he mostly had success because Jones tried to fight him in his area of strength (and not being very proficient at it).
Now, the question is if he can actually learn this til next time, apart from the takedowns. Winkeljohn doesn't seem to be the best to teaching his fighters jabbing, positioning, and head movement.
Probably better takedowns is all he is going to need though. Alex is going to come in confident and not be so tentative about Jones takedowns, which will make him easier to take down.

Don't kid yourself dude, Gus will not come into the rematch overconfident at all. He's not that type of fighter

Forget striking from a distance, that elbow likely won't turn the tables again. Focus on defense and pressure, negating his constant movement by cutting him off with single strikes and going for the clinch. That kind of style sucks the cardio out of a mover, Gus would have to work harder, making clinching easier as the fight goes on.

Whats a fluke? Outstriking someone for 4 of 5 rounds?

It was bad enough saying weidman was a fluke, thats at least somewhat understandable. MMA fans are disrespectful pieces of @@@@

By focusing on his own strengths rather than thinking he's better than everybody at everything.

The thing is you are giving everything Gus did well in the fight as a given in the 2nd (TDD etc.) while Jones is going to be worse?

Gus cutting JJ in the first was a big factor and there is no guarantee that will happen.

Gus was not on his bike for fun...it was strategy. Now JJ has to figure out how to close distance better or force Gus to change his strategy in some way.

Jones knows he can take Gus' power (and if they do fight again, he also took Glover's power) so he will also be more confident. People seem to think JJ will somehow be afraid to trade now after he won the 1st fight (regardless of how fans feel, him and the judges are in agreement).

Before the fight most people seemed to think that Jones could ragdoll and take Gus down at will. That a stoppage from hellbows was only not going to happen if Bones chose to keep it standing to make a point.

The fact that Jon trained a shitload of boxing and talked about boxing the Klitschkos (!) indicates that he kinda WAS trying to prove how awesome he is by fighting to Alexander's strength. At the same time Gus had to be training obscene amounts of defensive wrestling in anticipation of Jon's no 1 strength.

The result? Since the Davis fight Gus has bridged an enormous gap in wrestling which Jones had back then. At the same time Jones has NOT been able to do the same with Gus' boxing.

Not for want of trying - he said himself he probably boxed TOO MUCH. What carried him through (in the judges eyes) was his kick-boxing and spinning elbows.

So what can happen now? Can Bones become an even BETTER wrestler? Doubtful, and even if he gets Gus down, why would he be able to do damage this time? Gus stood back up like prime Chuck from the one TD.

Can Jones become an even better kick-boxer? Doubtful, he did great and probably surprised Gus with stuff he'll be better prepared for next time.

Boxing? He probably won't even try this time.

Gus, then? Well, I think that he can maintain the ability to stuff Jones' TDs, will be vastly better boxing.

The interesting thing is what he can do offensively/defensively with Jon's kicking game and his spinning techniques? Who's to say that he won't focus on defending kicks and even exploiting them for TDs? Or throw some nasty elbows himself?

Like I said, I see more upside in Gus' game. He actually seems to learn better than Bones.

Before the fight most people seemed to think that Jones could ragdoll and take Gus down at will. That a stoppage from hellbows was only not going to happen if Bones chose to keep it standing to make a point.

The fact that Jon trained a shitload of boxing and talked about boxing the Klitschkos (!) indicates that he kinda WAS trying to prove how awesome he is by fighting to Alexander's strength. At the same time Gus had to be training obscene amounts of defensive wrestling in anticipation of Jon's no 1 strength.

The result? Since the Davis fight Gus has bridged an enormous gap in wrestling which Jones had back then. At the same time Jones has NOT been able to do the same with Gus' boxing.

Not for want of trying - he said himself he probably boxed TOO MUCH. What carried him through (in the judges eyes) was his kick-boxing and spinning elbows.

So what can happen now? Can Bones become an even BETTER wrestler? Doubtful, and even if he gets Gus down, why would he be able to do damage this time? Gus stood back up like prime Chuck from the one TD.

Can Jones become an even better kick-boxer? Doubtful, he did great and probably surprised Gus with stuff he'll be better prepared for next time.

Gus, then? Well, I think that he can maintain the ability to stuff Jones' TDs, will be vastly better boxing.

The interesting thing is what he can do offensively/defensively with Jon's kicking game and his spinning techniques? Who's to say that he won't focus on defending kicks and even exploiting them for TDs? Or throw some nasty elbows himself?

Like I said, I see more upside in Gus' game. He actually seems to learn better than Bones.

The reason Jones could land so many kicks is because of Gus respecting the takedown. If Gus ups his output he will end up on the ground more often.

Why do I think Jones can do damage on the ground this time? Because it is a new fight. It is not a given that Gus is impossible to takedown, that is silly.

The are extremely close in talent and I think you are lying to yourself if you think Jones has peeked. But really who cares, one way or another their rematch will be fun to watch.

This.

In the rematch, I do not expect Jones to stay in the pocket and try to box like he did in the first fight. I also think Jones will use more of the southpaw stance and stick and move. As far as the wrestling goes, double-legged takedowns were not working but Jones did something different in the fifth round, he grabbed the left leg and lifted that one up, making it easier for him to get Gus down. People may say Gus was tired but so was Jones. I think Jones will focus on a single-leg takedown rather than the double.

What scared me about the first fight before it even happened was Jones talk of trying to prove he is a better boxer and even saying sticking and moving is a weakness. That screamed overconfidence. Even the great boxers of today stick and move and try not to take punishment like Jones was willing to take. Jones ego got the best of him in the first fight. Jones needs to work on sticking and movement, head movement and feints.

Okay, but you said confident and not be so tentative in the standup.

I highly doubt he will be doing that either.

His coach said himself they wanted to establish not getting taken down, and then open up. He is going to come into the next fight confident that he can't get taken down, try to bring it more to ensure the win, and that imo will be a mistake. But they both have holes, and it will be interesting to see who more successfully plugs his. No pun intended.

Jones will work on his footwork for the second fight. And win a more decisive decision.

In the rematch, I do not expect Jones to stay in the pocket and try to box like he did in the first fight. I also think Jones will use more of the southpaw stance and stick and move. As far as the wrestling goes, double-legged takedowns were not working but Jones did something different in the fifth round, he grabbed the left leg and lifted that one up, making it easier for him to get Gus down. People may say Gus was tired but so was Jones. I think Jones will focus on a single-leg takedown rather than the double.

What scared me about the first fight before it even happened was Jones talk of trying to prove he is a better boxer and even saying sticking and moving is a weakness. That screamed overconfidence. Even the great boxers of today stick and move and try not to take punishment like Jones was willing to take. Jones ego got the best of him in the first fight. Jones needs to work on sticking and movement, head movement and feints.

Funnily enough, Gus takes a lot of damage while sticking and moving, as he lacks head movement among other things. He was eating a lot of overhands against Shogun and jabs against Hamill. His chin makes it work, but that can potentially shorten his career substantially. Hopefully he remedies this.

Back